Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #1  

Usmcsrt1

Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2555 HST
2016 2555 HST

Hey guys, got new tractor, clearing some small brush with cutter in backyard on 1/2 acre neighborhood lot. Didn't even make it to my 10 acres yet. A branch comes up and wacks my hydraulic filter, dents it, knocks piping off rubber connector hose and pours hydraulic fluid all over back yard. Just 2 hours on tractor. Spend $65.00 on a new filter, bend piping back to connect two ends, slide rubber connector back on, tighten two clamps and back in business.

Two days later on my 10 wooded acres using cutter, another tree branch swings up and knocks same pipe from rubber boot and spills another 8-9 gallons of hydraulic fluid all over ground.

Looking closer at this design, I think it is a definite flaw to have a vulnerable pipe and filter so low and exposed under the tractor. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to machine shop soon to have skid plates made. Has anyone else done this? Other than that, I love the new tractor. Anyone else with other make tractor experience see this type of design flaw?

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #2  
Hi and welcome to TBN! I agree that the locations for the filter and that hose are somewhat vulnerable. I think a removeable skid plate or guard would be a good idea, considering you've had problems twice in a very short period of time. I have a little over 30 hours on my 2555 HST, much of it spent foraging through the woods. So far no issues/damage to vulnerable components. Don't forget about the tie rods located in front of the axles. Those are also unprotected.

Like yourself, I too love my machine! Tons of usable power, a loader capable of lifting an impressive amount of weight and great traction in all conditions. Before this, I had a John Deere 4300 which is a considerably smaller tractor and not a competing model. It was a great piece of equipment, but I can do so much more work with my 2555.

Good luck with your modifications and when you're done, post some pictures!

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #3  
you have two tractors listed. Which one is the culprit?

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #4  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum USMC Srt1. Haven't had that problem, but did break a fuel filter by hitting a branch while cutting. I think all tractors have places that could use a skid plate or two.

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #5  
With 85 hrs on my 3540HST and having some close calls with what your talking about I figured it was time to build a skid plate before my luck run out.No 2 pic shows without skid and next with it installed.

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    848.8 KB · Views: 627
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 341
   / Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #6  
I have a 5035 and noticed before I bought it that there were several places that were going to be exposed to damage. I discussed this with the salesman and even talked about having their shop add some protection. I forgot to do that by the time it came to purchase. My tie rods are in front and have shields, but they are about 2" short of covering the boots, which are the most vulnerable part of them. Go figure? Also, there are several hoses hanging under the tractor, and using the rotary cutter in tall grass and bushes has already put some deep scratches in the rubber hoses! Just a matter of time before they are cut! Also, several hard line exposed that could be damaged from large bushes.

These are some of the things Kubota does better than Mahindra! Everything was located better on the Kubota's, from filters to lines. I almost bought a kubota, but decided on the Mahindra for several reasons, one being the rear did not lift off the ground from just stopping the front bucket abruptly! When I get time I plan on making some guards for some of my areas of vulnerability.

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #7  
When I was shopping tractors I noticed they all had soft underbellys. When I picked up the LS4155HC I built this skid plate for a little up armor. Its 1/4" steel.

The skid plate pretty much covers all the fragile stuff underneath.

Several hours of brush hogging saplings and thorn trees with zero damage.

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses
Hey guys, thanks for the welcomes and the info. I'm not sure what other tractor one of you were referring to, but I have the 2016 Mahindra 2555 HST. All the pics are helpful. I will be getting skid plates fabricated soon as well as for front tie rods. This is my first tractor and a lot of my issues are trial by error so I'm learning the hard way. I did learn the box blade pretty quickly and that guy is amazing on a dirt driveways cut into the wooded property. Thanks again for all the help.

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses #9  
I ran over a small stump and it cost me over 400 bucks and I did the labor.

Stupid place for a filter!

/ Poor location of tranny/hydraulic filter/hoses
Mine is being dropped off tomorrow morning at the welder/fabricator to have skid plates mounted. Twice was enough, especially when I was overly cautious after the first time.