/ Newbie #21  
One simple way to help determine if it is likely safety switch or start relay problems is turn on the tractors headlights. Now observe these lights carefully as the assistant attempts to start the tractor. If the lights dim a bunch or even go out, then the corroded cable, corroded connections or just defective battery are likely culprits. If the lights stay near full brightness as the tractor is attempted to crank, then it is not likely a battery/cable/connector problem and much more likely is the key switch or one of the many safety switches in series with the coil of the start relay or the start relay itself being defective.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

/ Newbie #22  
Its one of the switches. I don't remember any that havnt at least ticked when its just a low battery and yes the lights are a good tool also

/ Newbie
I'm not able to get back to the tractor problem until Friday but I am reading everything after dinner. I appreciate all the help and I can assure you that I'm going to check everything indicated here. As for a schematic, I have one. If I scan it in and save it to a jpg file, is there a way to just embed it into a post here. I've not done much instructional review yet. Never mind, I see the little "insert image" button up there. I'll try to get to that this evening. If not, Friday at least.

Thanks
JC

/ Newbie #24  
I have the same tractor, and it's a gear drive, not shuttle. I believe there's only two lockouts, one on the PTO that he's found, and the other on the high/low range lever, must be in neutral. I think I've started mine with only the PTO disengaged and the range lever in neutral from standing on the ground, so I'm thinking that's it. I'll check for sure tonight and correct this if I'm wrong.

/ Newbie #25  
I have the same tractor, and it's a gear drive, not shuttle. I believe there's only two lockouts, one on the PTO that he's found, and the other on the high/low range lever, must be in neutral. I think I've started mine with only the PTO disengaged and the range lever in neutral from standing on the ground, so I'm thinking that's it. I'll check for sure tonight and correct this if I'm wrong.

I bet you have a seat switch too. I think in the later models gear and shuttle pretty much mean the same thing.

/ Newbie #26  
I bet you have a seat switch too. I think in the later models gear and shuttle pretty much mean the same thing.

Not all of the larger tractors have seat switches. In fact for years and years, none of the Mahindras had seat switches....so you might lose that bet. :)

/ Newbie #27  
1) Dave's right (of course). My 2555 has no seat switch. Brake pedal has to be depressed to start though.

2) I was going to suggest the headlight test, but I assumed modern circuitry would automatically disable the headlights during startup.

/ Newbie #28  
Not all of the larger tractors have seat switches. In fact for years and years, none of the Mahindras had seat switches....so you might lose that bet. :)

So that's how you get rid of the seat switch, just buy a bigger tractor.

/ Newbie #29  
1) Dave's right (of course). My 2555 has no seat switch. Brake pedal has to be depressed to start though.

2) I was going to suggest the headlight test, but I assumed modern circuitry would automatically disable the headlights during startup.

That might be as bad or even worse than a seat switch.

/ Newbie #30  

That might be as bad or even worse than a seat switch.

Don't some of them with mid PTOs have additional safety switches?