Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #1  

FastJimmy

Tractor
Kubota L241; MF 231 S; Mahindra 2565 Cab / Shuttle
I bought a new 2565 Cab Shuttle last fall.
This year when I went to bale (Vermeer 5410) it wouldn't pull the baler as well as my Massey 231 S.

It will not run past the PTO RPM and so has no power to fall back on when I try to pull up a grade.

Even sitting still in neutral it will only run PTO (2400) RPM - never more.

The dealer I purchased it from had some problems with Mahindra and is not currently a dealer so I took it to another dealer.
I had looked at a tractor at his place and I think he's sour grapes that I didn't buy it there.

He's trying to tell me that the tractor is too small for the baler. Vermeer states that it only needs a 40HP tractor and I used it for years with a 42HP tractor.

He is also trying to tell me that it doesn't ever need to go past PTO RPM.

So, anyone got a 2565?
If so what kind of "no load" RPM can you get?

Thanks
FJ.

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #2  
The 2565 is listed at 65 HP at the engine and 50 at the PTO at 2300 rpm. I think your Massey was somewhere around 35 at the PTO. Even with the AC blowing (takes some HP) the 2565 should be significantly more powerful than the old Massey.

I'd want to put that tractor on a PTO dyno ASAP and see if it is making advertised power. It sounds like it is not. I don't have a 2565 on the lot, so I can't answer your RPM question.

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #3  
Anything binding the throttle linkage ? Is there a set screw adjustment anywhere that limits throttle movement ?

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #4  
You are not the first one to have these problems. Some people with the 2555 have the same issues. This appears to be a problem with the tier IV programming that Mahindra has done. This appears to be a Mahindra issue. I have not seen anyone else complain with a different color. Hopefully they can fix this issue.

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #5  
You are not the first one to have these problems. Some people with the 2555 have the same issues. This appears to be a problem with the tier IV programming that Mahindra has done. This appears to be a Mahindra issue. I have not seen anyone else complain with a different color. Hopefully they can fix this issue.

Most dealers of any size have a dyno. It doesn't cut it to buy 65 HP and not get 65 HP, if that is actually the scenario. If so, I suspect you are right, it needs to be properly flashed and retested. Mahindra will make it proper.

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue
Thanks to all for your input.
The dealer called last evening with an update (??).
He still contends that the 2565 is to small for the Vermeer 4x5 (although Vermeer clearly states that a 40 HP tractor is sufficient). I reminded him that his initial suggestion was a 4550 that he had in stock.
He still feels that is a better tractor :confused2:

Anyway, they were supposed to put a new fuel filter on it this morning which his mechanic was sure would cure the problem.

We talked to the district rep this morning and he agreed with me that the tractor is plenty big enough and that it should turn more RPMs than it is. He was going to "touch base" with the dealer and get back with us. He was familiar with the tier IV programming / re-flash issue and was supposed to discuss that with the dealer.

Unfortunately (for me) this dealer DOES NOT have a dyno. I really don't see how he can correct the issue with out one. He told us yesterday that when they put the tractor "under a load" engine RPMs did fall off. I was afraid to ask him how he put it "under a load" but I could almost smell my clutch and brakes smoking :mad:

Time will tell
F J

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #7  
They may be correct on the fuel filter diagnosis, but it's sort of guess work unless they have a dyno or are willing to hook it to your Vermeer. A nice dyno is $25k or more, but a lot of dealers like ourselves will buy an older machine from some big dealership that has upgraded. Our older machine will not print out anything or do anything fancy. But it will tell us the HP at whatever RPM. We check it. Do the repair, then check again. It is a necessary tool that get's used a lot in our shop. Not just for repairs - every new tractor gets 1/2 hour on the dyno to get it up to temp and to make sure it is making proper HP.

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #8  
I have a 2555 HST and I start out ok, but after a couple of hours, if I lower my throttle, it will NOT get back to PTO speed. Dealer has no idea at this point...

/ Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #9  
I have a 2565 gear cab tractor that I bought this past spring. I use it to clear brush with my root grapple and Woods BB720X rotary cutter. It's very first job took two days and was within the first 50 hours of operation. It was also used to put in a couple of asphalt millings driveways and grade the gravel roads at my gun club.

At 63 hours, I took it back to the dealer for its 50 hour service. A day later I received a phone call that my tractor was not going to be ready to pick up the next day as promised because the engine had locked up and failed. They had performed the service and then started the tractor and ran it up to full throttle in the lot for about 25 minutes looking for coolant leaks (I had the lower rad hose leak at the water pump after doing some work on my driveway) and see if the check engine light would come back on since it was intermittent. He was checking the stored codes on his computer when the whole dealership heard a terrible squealing sound and then silence.

The mechanic came out of the garage, the owner came out of the showroom and everybody stood there looking at each other with the mechanic stating that he had put 7.5 quarts of fresh oil in it so that wasn't the problem. This was on a Friday of course so there was no digging into the cause of this until the following week. Now at this point in my story I have to say that I wasn't upset or angry, in fact both the owner and myself were laughing about it because of his phone call to me and his description of his face when the dead silence occurred. I have an automotive corporate warranty background so I understand that things like this happen and there's no use in getting stressed or upset, just work together to fix the problem.

So, the next Monday I went and talked to the dealer and looked things over. Upon draining the oil we found it full of metal bits which did not show up on the dipstick. After the pan was removed, the problem became evident and hence the reason I'm replying to this string. The piston cooling jet's/nozzles which direct engine oil to the bottom of the piston to cool it, had been hitting the crankshaft since day one. When there was no longer any oil getting to the bottom of the piston to cool it the engine locked up.

I now have my tractor back and the very first time I put it to work I realized that the old engine was bad from the start. The new one spins up quicker and I don't sense any problems with power or its ability to get up to speed. After talking to the dealer again he told me that he had thought my engine seemed sluggish as well but had written it off to being a new tractor that had not yet broke in.

So why am I telling this tale of woe here? I guess to let everyone who has purchased a tractor with one of these engines to check the oil coming out of the oil pan for metal shavings if you suspect that the tractor isn't coming up to speed or isn't generating the power it should be. Fortunately for me, Mahindra had 3 complete engines in stock so I was able to get one and have minimal down time. What concerns me more, is that issues like the one I had are rarely just one off events so check your drain oil carefully for metal.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 2565 RPM Issue #10  
Theres definitely something going on with the tractor... id say any 65hp is going to have trouble with a 5410 though... some will run it better than others but it will take a toll after a while.. you always wana be over at least 10hp of any recommended specs in the hayfield..