Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #1  

dickfoster

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538TLB
I was building a backhoe dolly to remove the backhoe, that didn't go so well so I just dropped it on the ground today per the manual. I'll revisit the dolly and get it right. When I do one that works, I'll do a write up along with dimensions and hope to save someone else some grief. Those with a 1538B backhoe, 1538's and I think 1533's.

With the backhoe removed, I started poking around and found even more evidence of the shoddy install the West Coast distributor did on this backhoe. Remember this thing has already been back to the dealer to torque down loose bolts etc. that were never torqued to spec from the day the hoe went on the tractor. Now with the hoe off and another layer of the cake exposed, I find color tagging of hydralic hoses only tagged on one end. :laughing: It doesn't do much good to color code the hoses unless you do both ends. :duh:
I also find the PTO shield held on with a single bolt on one side and a ZIPTIE on the other side.:eek: This ain't right. The book I have says two bolts and two spacers and noting about attaching safety shields and crossmembers with zipties. These two bolts also help secure one of the smaller sub frame cross members to the rear of the tractor.

Also I don't seem to find the pin for my drawbar. I expected to find it in the drawbar socket but no, it's nowhere to be found. :mad: I have the drawbar but a fat lot of good it's gonna do me with no pin. Once I figure out the diameter and length, Tractor Supply maybe?

:thumbdown: I'd say they need to do a little more work in the QC department at the new West Coast Distributorship in Olivehurst. Obviously someone didn't look this one over or else they had their eyes closed when they did. :irked:

You can bet that I'll be rechecking the torques on all the newly exposed subframe bolts, and I'll bet right now that I won't find a spec of locktight on the bolts that KMW calls out in the manual.

:smiley_aafz: Mahindra take note, this the same kinda crap that brought the US auto industry to it's knees and made Detroit take on the appearance of a post apocalyptic smouldering war ruin. That along with Mahindra's own woefully inadequate after sales support and pitiful excuse for documentation. 90% doesn't get it done, you have to score 100% and that last 10% is the most important. It's a real shame that such a nice machine is marred by simply not caring. :2cents:

:pullinghair:It looks like changing the hydraulic filter is gonna be a real joy too because access is hampered by the backhoe subframe. Oh goody, I can hardly wait, another epic struggle to change a simple spin on filter. Maybe it'll be a good idea to drain all the hydraulic oil before I try removing that filter. Getting it off is gonna be hard enough without taking a shower in UTF. I can swear I've seen filter relocation kits out there somewhere before and for spin on filters just like this one. Hummm.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #2  
Not to sound too harsh, but I'm starting to wonder if tractor ownership is the right fit for you.:laughing:

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga.
Not to sound too harsh, but I'm starting to wonder if tractor ownership is the right fit for you.:laughing:

What I'm describing here is the work product of someone or some persons who simply doesn't care. Maybe I don't know as this is my first tractor. Are tractor owners expected to build their own tractors or are they supposed to come ready to work? Question, did you build your own first car before you started to drive? While I may be new to tractors, I'm no idiot when it comes to mechanics as I did design and build a lot of the truck I drive today. I also have a lot of background in manufacturing so I know lax or no quality control standards in place when I see it.

I don't know about you but I'm also kinda funny when it comes to expecting to get what I've paid for. This kinda crap may be OK for some who haven't the nads to say crap with a mouth full of it and who have no expectations at all of themselves or anyone else but I don't like it one little bit and have some expectations of getting a serviceable product for the price I paid. I guess today's current crop of politicians is somewhat indicative of our nation's overly marginalized lowed expectations and low self esteem. With that in mind, yesterday's farce is no surprise I guess.

And no, fashionable or not, I don't have any tattoos either. I'm just old school that way.

Expect more, get more, expect less, be prepared to settle for less. Time will eventually ensure that all get their due.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #4  
Tractors are not cars. They require significantly more time and effort. Why? Because we use them as tools, not transportation. No, you should not have zip ties where bolts should be. Yes, you should grease, inspect, torque after every full day. And yes, some filters, batteries, zerks, etc. will be placed in the most inconvenient places. They are on my DB885, they are on my 4025.

Tractors are not cars. They require significantly more time and effort. Why? Because we use them as tools, not transportation. No, you should not have zip ties where bolts should be. Yes, you should grease, inspect, torque after every full day. And yes, some filters, batteries, zerks, etc. will be placed in the most inconvenient places. They are on my DB885, they are on my 4025.

How much manufacturing and or product design background do you have? I don't give a dayum how many tractors you have. There is never a valid excuse for shippin crap.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #6  
Just curious, has your dealer said anything about any of these problems-concerns that you have had? :confused3:

Just curious, has your dealer said anything about any of these problems-concerns that you have had? :confused3:

Yeah the first couple of go rounds with the backhoe he took the tractor and tightened up the exposed bolts when they reflashed the ECU.

This last go round I haven't bothered him with it and don't intend to. He's a good guy and it's not the dealer that did this, it's the distributor in Olivehurst that laid this egg. I know for sure that they installed the backhoe.

I'm hoping that Mahindra sees this and takes measures to ensure that it doesn't happen to someone else. It's kinda like buying a new car and after you drive the car a couple of blocks a wheel falls off.

I had a similar experience with a car I bought in 1978, a wheel didn't fall off but the tranny had to be replaced day one and it went downhill from there. Actually we had to lift the hood and re connect a vacuum line just to get it off the lot.:laughing: That was a Pontiac and Pontiac is no more so nuff said. QC problems simply can't be fixed with marketing like they tried to do. It's not going to go away until you get busy and fix it, otherwise it'll only go away when you go away.

This is not my problem, it was not the dealers problem, it is the distributors problem and ultimately Mahindra's problem. Overall it looks to be a solid and well made machine and a rugged backhoe. Likely better built and more solid than many others on the market. However there is room for improvement in the areas of serviceability and documentation that only a small amount of effort would soon cure at little cost. Basically it's a simple matter of priority.

There is an old saying that goes something like this, "quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten." Words I always tried to live by back when I worked for a living.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #8  
While I agree that the dist should install these things correctly, I also believe that the dealer should double check these things. My local Mahindra dealer has given up on the dist installations and installs all the back hoes himself.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #9  
How much manufacturing and or product design background do you have? I don't give a dayum how many tractors you have. There is never a valid excuse for shippin crap.

None. But I will say nothing my tractors have given me in the way of filter location compares to the oil filter change on my $65k 3500 Cummins.

/ Yet more on the shoddy Backhoe install saga. #10  
None. But I will say nothing my tractors have given me in the way of filter location compares to the oil filter change on my $65k 3500 Cummins.

Preach that, so true!