4WD selector seized to Gear selector!

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector! #11  
If its under warranty, let your dealer handle it before you go cutting and welding ,as once you get to that point your not going to get it fixed under warranty if you run into problems.

But if you insist on trying it to repair your self, would it be posssible to drill a small hole in the collar on the shifter but not into the shaft. Maybe towards the center to get some pentrant oil to the middle or posiblly grease pumped in?

^^that's what I would recommend

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector!
It is under warranty, but I live about 2.5 hours from the dealer, and about 2 hours from ANY tractor dealership. So the time and expense to trailer it down there doesnt seem worth it, especially since this would most likely fall into the "lack of maintenance" category. The other problem is the fact that ive clearly marked up the part from trying to use a pipe wrench to wiggle it free, and I have drilled a small hole through the sleeve and inserted a press in grease nipple, the grease didnt make any difference and after about 5 pumps blew the zerk out. So Mahindra would most likely not cover it. (I wouldnt blame them)

It will also be fixed to factory specs which is just going to seize again... Its a steel sleeve on a steel shaft, in an exposed area with no way of greasing or lubing without taking the whole thing apart. So Im getting to the point where Id like to change the way TYM designed it or relocate the 4wd lever to a different pivot point, so I dont have to deal with this again down the line.

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector! #13  
If you have an oxyacetylene torch, you can cut the sleeve off easily without damaging the shaft. Just start at the bottom of the sleeve at any point that is convenient. Get it hot and then start cutting by taking a sliver at a time off all the way across the sleeve. When you cut thru the sleeve ,material, you will see the shaft and it wont cut the shaft because it wont be hot enough. Be careful at this point because if you keep the flame on the shaft it will start cutting that too. Just stop cutting as you encounter the shaft. At that point, it should be hot enough and loose enough to move the 4WD shift lever. It may not need to have a new sleeve made if you don't cut too much off.

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector! #14  
If you have an oxyacetylene torch, you can cut the sleeve off easily without damaging the shaft. Just start at the bottom of the sleeve at any point that is convenient. Get it hot and then start cutting by taking a sliver at a time off all the way across the sleeve. When you cut thru the sleeve ,material, you will see the shaft and it wont cut the shaft because it wont be hot enough. Be careful at this point because if you keep the flame on the shaft it will start cutting that too. Just stop cutting as you encounter the shaft. At that point, it should be hot enough and loose enough to move the 4WD shift lever. It may not need to have a new sleeve made if you don't cut too much off.

You must have a very practiced touch with a cutting torch. I might try something like that with a cutoff wheel or hacksaw but I'd probably have the tractor cut in half if I tried something like that with a torch. LOL

The torch idea would probably be the easiest, but I dont have much experience cutting with torches. I think Ill start with a hack saw since its the eaisest to control, Ill go from there Ill let you know how I make out.
On a side note, my dealer told me since Im so far away, if I end up having to cut it off to send them a picture of the cut part, they will order a new one and ship it to me (under warranty) Which I thought was good on their part.

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector! #16  
Wait I thought you said you tried heat? What did you try and heat it up with?

I tried using the torch to heat it and free it up, which didnt work. I didnt try using the torch to cut the collar off the shaft, Ive used Oxy/acet for heating/welding/heat treating but I have very little experience cutting with oxy, so Im a bit hesitant to start on the tractor, and I think a plasma cutter would cut through collar/shaft and all.

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector! #18  
so you got the collar beat red? iv cut a few levers like that off but it never is to the point of getting it off and putting the new one right on... we use a rollback service to haul tractors that we cant get to in time or that don't run... if your in a bind you may look at getting it hotshotted to the dealer... think it will be worth it in the long run

No I got it just to the point of starting to turn red, was worried about heating the shaft too much and melting a seal where the shaft goes into the Transmission. I know I will have to clean up the shaft before putting a new one on, but since its supposed to be a loose fit so Im not too worried, the shaft just provides a pivot point for the 4wd lever and I will be installing a zerk into the new collar so I can keep it greased. As for getting it shipped, if Im going to bring it to the dealer Id just bring it myself, since I have the truck and float trailer needed to move it. I just dont want to be without my tractor for a week or more mid summer when I need it, I wouldnt be able to wait for it at the dealership since I have a 6 month old son at home. And even though the shaft is seized I can still use the tractor with the 4wd linkage unhooked and the tractor in 4wd.

I know the dealer will have to cut it off as well, Ive dealt with steel on steel shafts and collars with no grease point before (rebuilt a LOT of snowmobile rear skids) Why manufacturers dont put a $0.25 zerk on points like this is makes no sense to me.

/ 4WD selector seized to Gear selector! #20  
<snip>
I know the dealer will have to cut it off as well, Ive dealt with steel on steel shafts and collars with no grease point before (rebuilt a LOT of snowmobile rear skids) Why manufacturers dont put a $0.25 zerk on points like this is makes no sense to me.
Have you even talked to the dealer? He might have some suggestions.