Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month.

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #1  
Tractor
Mahindra 2538, Oliver 550
I bought a brand new Mahindra 2538 with a loader. While using a bush hog
down hill, the range shifter begins to move forward until it pops out of gear.
This thing only has 17 hours on it. The dealer has had it for nearly a month now.
They say they are ordering parts then have to order a gear so on and so forth.
The bottom line is I bought a brand new $20,000 tractor but am still using my
poor old Oliver 550. At least it can still get the job done. A 50 year old Oliver
doesn't have any trouble going up and down a hill, why can't a new Mahindra.
I've seen really good things about Mahindra...that's why I bought one. But,
I'm not impressed so far. I really hope this thing is not going to become a constant
problem. It sure would be nice to use my new tractor. Oh yeah...IT'S IN A
THOUSAND PIECES!!!!:mad:

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #2  
Just one of those things.... never want it to happen to you but all tractors can have a misfit if you will... iv never seen one do something like your talking about and we sell a ton of 2538s... also didn't help this is THE busiest time of the year and that time frame isn't uncommon. Im sure they will get it fixed up and back to you. Good luck with it and love those old Olivers

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #3  
Hmm, at 17 hours, that sounds like an issue I'd be very leery of a dealer attempting to fix, that is unless the actual shifer has a detent or something that keeps it in gear externalally of the transmission. I'd be worried that there was a problem inside the trans and express this to the dealer for later - when the warranty expires.

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #4  
what range do you usually mow in?

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month.
Well, I went to the dealer today to check on the progress. This is what I found. I won't say anything bad about the dealer because they are trying to get it worked out. This simply is what I found. Please let me know what you think and what you would do in this situation. mahindra 1.JPGmahindra 2.JPGmahindra 3.JPGmahindra 4.JPG

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #6  
Firstly, I think I might cry. Secondly, I'd thank God for a warranty, take a deep breath, let it out, and enjoy your tractor when it is returned in good order. I hope it is repaired soon.

Last edited:
   / Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #7  
I'd be contacting Mahindra! This issue is IMHO an indication of bigger issues. At the very least, I would want new WHOLE component replacement, (transmission) (trans/rear). It seem's that you have a willing dealer, he might be able to help you with his suggestion as to what components should actually be replaced. A new tractor (17 hours) is not a rebuilt tractor. You bought a new tractor.

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #8  
I feel sorry for you and for the dealer. This is a bad deal. All the dealer can do is to be prompt and do the job without error and without scratching up the sheet metal. Even then, if he does it perfect he is still sort of the bad guy for selling a tractor that failed in 17 hours. It's a no win for him, and certainly perceived as even a worse deal for the customer. As to what to do, I won't give my opinion as I will either offend Eddie or offend Mahindra with my suggestions. And I am very customer centric, so you can guess which way that would go.

Years ago when the 5010 first came on the scene, also built by TYM as is the 2538, we had a few problems with the range shifter walking itself out of gear on a downhill. It would only happen on down hills and only when the tractor engine was trying to hold back the descent. And even if you tried to hold the lever back, you couldn't. A clever Mahindra service rep figured out that the shaft that was holding the range gears had end play that was beyond specs. The shaft had space at one end for shims. He shimmed it to the correct tolerances and it fixed it perfectly. It was rare, but we had a couple of them out of the 50 or so 5010's that we retailed. In that instance, no one part was beyond tolerances, but each part was near the maximum tolerance and it stacked up and gave us grief. A couple thousandths here and a couple there and all of the sudden you have an issue.

On your 2538, if I were the tech, I'd be looking at this shaft, assuming it is built similar to the 5010 range setup. Probably they will replace the shaft and attached gears (out of an abundance of caution) and then shim to exact tolerances and this "blueprinted" transmission will be perfect.

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month.
Is it necessary to completely dismantle the tractor to get to the transmission? I feel bad for the dealer too. They have tons of time tearing this thing down, but I can't imagine that this level of teardown is necessary. He showed me a gear with very rough teeth and said that there was some metal in the trans oil. I'm afraid that simply replacing these gears is treating the symptom, not the disease. I guess the bottom line is that this machine is now a basket case. Everything has been removed...brake pedals, steering wheel, dash, all hydraulic controls, I mean everything. They told me that they'd have to split the tractor, but this looks to be more than a split. But, like I said, the dealer is working with me to find a solution and make it right plus it's not his fault it messed up in the first place. But as a dealer he gets stuck with the bad as well as the good.

/ Brand new 2538 pops out of gear. Dealer has had it for a month. #10  
Eddie, probably they had to go this far to get to everything. Shafts will often come out of the case longitudinally, hardly ever can they come out the top or side or some place that might be easy. For that reason, the transmission often must be split in a couple of places to remove and replace needed parts. It looks ugly, but it's pretty normal in the tractor world. If they have a good mechanic and they are careful, when it is back together you will be hard pressed to tell it has ever been apart. Once together, they should run it for an hour or so and get it up to temp and look for any leaks, etc.

And you are right, the dealer gets the good and the bad.