Loader 2538 bucket chain hook question

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #1  

Tater John

Tractor
9n, 135 Massey, Mahindra 2538, RK25
New 2538 owner here with a question regarding using ken's bolt on bucket hooks.
I ordered the combo hook / clevis sets before took delivery of the tractor. Now I
see the top of the bucket is too tight for them to fit as designed. If any 2538 owners
use the ken's bolt on hook with a clevis, how did you mount everything? I am now thinking
of mounting the hook on the top lip of the bucket and the clevis directly in line but on the
front of the top lip. By doing this the two (hook and clevis) would be at right angles to one another if
you can envision it. But doing this would place two (2) half inch holes in line with one another, one on
the top of the bucket lip and one on the front of the same lip. Didn't know if that would weaken the
bucket structurally. I don't think so but need to know from those in the know.
Anybody with same tractor and bucket or similar issue with Ken's bolt on stuff and your solution please opine.
Thanks
Tater John

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #2  
Forward this post as an e-mail to Ken. He will get back to you with the best solution PDQ.

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #3  
John, what is the width of the top of your bucket?
Some of the Mahindra's have a very narrow top and I'm still working on figuring out what models have what buckets. The smaller Max's have a 2" wide top and with the radius of the sides the clevis mounts won't fit well but we did get some narrow spacers to fill that space:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
   / 2538 bucket chain hook question
kennyd, thanks for reply, PM sent, I forgot pics will send separate PM
Tater John

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #5  
Thanks for the PM and email John, I'll respond in detail this evening.

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #6  
New 2538 owner here with a question regarding using ken's bolt on bucket hooks.
I ordered the combo hook / clevis sets before took delivery of the tractor. Now I
see the top of the bucket is too tight for them to fit as designed. If any 2538 owners
use the ken's bolt on hook with a clevis, how did you mount everything? I am now thinking
of mounting the hook on the top lip of the bucket and the clevis directly in line but on the
front of the top lip. By doing this the two (hook and clevis) would be at right angles to one another if
you can envision it. But doing this would place two (2) half inch holes in line with one another, one on
the top of the bucket lip and one on the front of the same lip. Didn't know if that would weaken the
bucket structurally. I don't think so but need to know from those in the know.
Anybody with same tractor and bucket or similar issue with Ken's bolt on stuff and your solution please opine.
Thanks
Tater John

My dealer welded a chain hook and a shackle mount to the top center of my bucket for me. I guess he does it for all the new tractors he sells.

Clevis, shackle whatever. I've always called it a shackle as in anchor shackle but tractor folks seem to refer to it as a clevis. When I asked for it instead of a D ring my dealer looked puzzled then said oh you mean a clevis.

Whatever, I suppose you could just weld it on.

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #7  
Thanks for the great pics Tater John!
I think your plan of mounting the hook on top and the clevis mount on the front is a good one, looking forwards to seeing more pictures once everything is mounted.

TJ's pics:
MH 2538-1.JPG

MH 2538-2.JPG

MH 2538-3.JPG

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #8  
   / 2538 bucket chain hook question #9  
With one hook wouldn't it be better to center it so you don't put cockeyed loads on the lift arms?

He would duplicate this setup on the other side, he wouldn't have just one hook on one side.

One can always use a short chain, like 8' or 10' between the two hooks and then a second chain from the center of that if you needed to lift from a single point. The chains would be in a "Y" configuration.

/ 2538 bucket chain hook question #10  
He would duplicate this setup on the other side, he wouldn't have just one hook on one side.

One can always use a short chain, like 8' or 10' between the two hooks and then a second chain from the center of that if you needed to lift from a single point. The chains would be in a "Y" configuration.

Makes sense with two hooks.