Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other
I know guys who would straighten that rod. I hate to say it but how about Princess Auto? Can't be worse than what you had. Or, there are Mennonite shops that make cylinders. Where in Ontario are you?

That does strike me as strange. I have some (I believe) capable equipment, and as a rule, never feel like I can apply enough force to break anything before my reliefs disappoint me. I mean hydraulic force, not using momentum.

I did check PA....but they don't have any that are close enough to modify. I live in Pickering but the tractor is being used at my cottage in Minden.....not really Mennonite country. As you know we have limited time in northern Ontario to get things done outside and I can't really afford to not have the tractor working this long weekend so I will be picking up the new cylinders from the dealer on the way up north tomorrow.

It was definitely user error that caused the breakage.

Darned if I would pay over a thousand bucks for two "factory" cylinders. I'm not married to any brand with that kind of dedication. I'd order two like cylinders and a can of black spray paint. Those two cylinders can be had new for less than $400USD.

On the damage analysis; Looks like you had the bucket down and started moving backwards without lifting. Pilot error! :)

There is a lot more choice as far as replacement parts in the US. Unfortunately, when you take into account shipping and other costs....the final price rises quickly.

Yup....my fault for sure.....guaranteed, I will never make that mistake again!

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #13  
So what caused the failure?

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #14  
Back dragging with cylinders fully extended. It is a not a good idea and you must be careful.

So what caused the failure?

I was trying to get a stump that I had freed with the backhoe out of the hole with the grapple. With the grapple fully tilted I placed it over the top of the stump. The loader was not powerful enough to lift it or tilt it out of the hole (very large stump) so I moved the tractor backwards hoping to drag it out. Doing so caused extreme leverage.

I should have known better.

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #16  
I was trying to get a stump that I had freed with the backhoe out of the hole with the grapple. With the grapple fully tilted I placed it over the top of the stump. The loader was not powerful enough to lift it or tilt it out of the hole (very large stump) so I moved the tractor backwards hoping to drag it out. Doing so caused extreme leverage.

I should have known better.

Thank you for the explanation, it may save someone else the expense and trouble that you are going thu. Again thanks.

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #17  
I did a security job near Minden once. Furnace Falls. Protecting a remote cottage without power or phone, before the days of cellular coverage.

As I said, I know guys that could fix those cylinders. Problem is, it might be Christmas before they are done. Not this, but next!

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #18  
I wonder if it would have helped to have the lift in float mode while dragging it out. Still some stress on the bucket cylinders but the lift arms would move freely if the bank was tapered. I agree; Your misfortune may help others avoid this situation.

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #19  
A month ago, I tried to dig out a stump,, it was extremely tap rooted.
I had a trench four feet deep all the way around it.
My 10,000 pound 4WD tractor could not shake it.

I hooked my woodsplitter to the stump, and the other end of the splitter to a nearby tree,,
the anchor tree was 24", it was not gonna move,, the stump had to come out.
I figured the splitter was exerting at least 4 times as much force as my tractor could,,, maybe even more,

Well,, working the woodsplitter cylinder back and forth about 30-40 times, the stump finally started to move.
I would exert a pull on the stump, then let it set for a couple minutes.
I think the delay with the tension on it caused the soil to compress slightly each time.

I ended up using the splitter until the stump was completely free.
I left the stump set and dry for about 2 weeks, then I used the backhoe to remove much of the dirt.

THEN the tractor would move it.

OH, by the way, what are the dimensions of the cylinders??
I have a bunch of new ones,, something might be close enough,,,

/ Broke tilt cylinder rod and bent the other #20  
My KMW cyl's on my 5035 are made in Canada... they probably source from several countries. Some big stumps, you are better off digging a deeper hole right next to them and burying them. I had to do that with a big double cherry stump, scary, but doable. Just make sure the stump goes into the deep hole and not your tractor. With all the grapple pictures here on TBN, it was just a matter of time that someone stressed them as bad as backdragging. Good way to find your loader weak points. I tore a fork out of the frame on my heavy duty C.I.D. QA forks on my 5035. Horsing around a big stump and the big, heavy left fork pop'd out and flew forward about 15 feet like shot out with a slingshot. Bent the 1/2 steel like it was butter. Fixed it, and being more careful now. :)