Backhoe New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #1  

Naelr

Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
Hey everyone,

I have been doing lots of reading on this forum since buying my Mahindra Max 26XL a month ago. Good information.

Anyway, in Oct of 2015 the wife and I bought a home with 26 acres. Mostly wooded and we are heating the house with the firewood I now grow myself. :) This spring I needed to move some dirt and rented a Terramite T5. First time I have ever used one and I was amazed at how much work i was able to do in 10 hours and one weekend of work. Got me to thinking and started doing some research and finally bought my Mahindra with a FEL and Backhoe. I want it to do some general around the house maintenance perhaps in the future mow the lawn but really to get the wood from the hill to the house. I have the "thumb" attachment on the backhoe and it works well.

Now to my question... I feel this backhoe is weaker then the Terramite.. my Mahindra dealer keeps telling me I am crazy and what I am experiencing is a different hydraulic system. He said "you bought a tractor with an attachment, not a professional backhoe." I have watched my father-in-law use terramites for years and that make can make them dance. He picks up the backend with the backhoe and moves it all over the place never turning around in the seat he can move it for yards and keep digging. This mahindra will not even come close to picking up the back end.... I know my machine is close to 3000 lbs but it just seems weak compared to what I experienced with the T5. Does anyone have any experience with both of these machines and can give me some more insite? I love my tractor and still get alot of work done but I just feel the backhoe is weak and want to speak intelligently when/if I take it in and say fix it!

Thanks everyone.

Naelr

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #2  
I can't speak to the T5 but I have the same tractor and 26B backhoe. To me it is as powerful as I expected. Have dug many stumps, moved many rocks and landscape timbers with the thumb. I don't think I would want to use it to move or pick up back end of tractor. No problems so far with tractor or bh, 40hrs now.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question
I can't speak to the T5 but I have the same tractor and 26B backhoe. To me it is as powerful as I expected. Have dug many stumps, moved many rocks and landscape timbers with the thumb. I don't think I would want to use it to move or pick up back end of tractor. No problems so far with tractor or bh, 40hrs now.

I don't know how to quantify this but I was digging up a small tree, maybe 2 x as big around as a baseball bat... and when I got into the main root the backhoe wouldn't do squat. it just grabbed it and whined... I had to turn the tractor around and push it over with the FEL. I only have 20 hours on it and mostly with the FEL I need to use the hoe more... it just seems compared to the T5, which has a much MUCH smaller motor on it and it a gas motor at that, that it is lacking something.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #4  
i have not dug any trees that small, but i can tell you I have to dig on 3 sides before they come loose enough to grab with hoe and lift out. Some I had to use bucket to lift out. Do you think your bucket is lifting close to rated weight? I am pretty new to this tractor business, but from what I gleemed on this sight stumps can be one tough mutha.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #5  
You can have a Pee Wee Herman tree with an Arnold Swatzenegger root system.... trees are like snow flakes. I tried pulling a little one out with a John Deere B once and it just laughed at me.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #6  
Hey Naerl,
Just about to sign papers on one. How do you like it? As others have mentioned, not much on the Internet on these. Other than the seat problem anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Naerl,
Just about to sign papers on one. How do you like it? As others have mentioned, not much on the Internet on these. Other than the seat problem anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Dan,

I really do like the tractor, like I said the power doesn't seem to be in the backhoe like I thought it might but the unit is 3000 lbs. It took some getting used to how the backhoe works but now I can make it sing. I have moved more dirt in the last 2 months then I have my entire 42 years on this planet hahaha. Just understand it is a tractor with an attachment not a professional backhoe. Which one are you buying if I might ask?

Naelr

EDIT: I see your getting the same 26XL... I would suggest you maybe ask your dealer to drive it around and dig some dirt with it to at least test drive... you test drove your last car purchase didn't you?

EDIT 2: I got the "thumb" attachment for my backhoe and would really suggest it if your going to move any trees. I cut firewood for the fireplace and picking up a log with the backhoe and then cutting with the chainsaw has saved my blade from dulling in the dirt.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #8  
26xl, with a backhoe, rear grade blade and snowblower, and quick attach bucket. Here in NH, the snowblower might be the most useful. I have never owned a tractor, so I have a long learning curve so any help would be greatly appreciated. This tractor seems to get pretty good marks from most.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

26xl, with a backhoe, rear grade blade and snowblower, and quick attach bucket. Here in NH, the snowblower might be the most useful. I have never owned a tractor, so I have a long learning curve so any help would be greatly appreciated. This tractor seems to get pretty good marks from most.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Wow yea I can imagine so you should know all about this place then... I need chains for mine as I have the industrial tires and assume come winter I will need chains.

www dot tirechain dot com

I can't post links yet 3 more posts.... geeze

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #10  
Yup, got the thumb too. I am not really mechanical, so I am kind of worried if I can figure all of this out. I am not hopeless, just cautious. I am not sure why there is not much out here on this model. I research things to death and except for the wire/seat problems it gets pretty good marks.

Yup, stumps, hence the backhoe. Seems like a good value, though not that much cheaper. Any tips would be super appreciated.

Dan