2538 First Problem

/ 2538 First Problem #1  

LA Confederate

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538
Today I went to get the tractor out for a little loader work and noticed that when I cranked it the "Check Engine" light was blinking. Shut the tractor down and restarted it in case it was a fluke but the light stayed on. Checked the oil and it was full and the temperature gauge seemed normal. Backed it out and the tractor was way down on power; it would bog down with light pedal position.

I did notice last time I was working it that if I shut down for a few minutes then restarted, I would get a lightish puff of bluish smoke for just a second. Don't know if that's related or not.

Guess it's off to the dealer tomorrow morning.

/ 2538 First Problem #2  
Just went through this with my 2540. CEL was blinking, low on power, puff of blue smoke on start up and had a P1801 code. Dealer came out and hooked it up to the computer and cleared the code. Code was for high pressure on the common rail. The set point is 50 and mine was 54. Tech said he has had to do this same thing to every 2538/2540 that they have sold, but couldn't remember having to redo any. Good luck.

/ 2538 First Problem #4  
Just went through this with my 2540. CEL was blinking, low on power, puff of blue smoke on start up and had a P1801 code. Dealer came out and hooked it up to the computer and cleared the code. Code was for high pressure on the common rail. The set point is 50 and mine was 54. Tech said he has had to do this same thing to every 2538/2540 that they have sold, but couldn't remember having to redo any. Good luck.

Just so you know you can get yourself an OBDII scanner and do the same thing yourself. Read codes and reset the check engine light. If your car or truck was built since 1996 and you have a later tractor it's well worth getting yourself an OBDII scanner. They don't cost that much and are easy to use.

/ 2538 First Problem #5  
My OBDII scanner would not reset the P1801 code. The tech had to reset the 54 value to zero before the code would clear.

/ 2538 First Problem #6  
egr needs to be replaced usually under p1801, ecu will need to be updated

also p1801 can be a bad harness connection on engine harness, sometimes you have to go through the pins and check for proper fit
20160913_110428.jpg

20160913_110416.jpg

20160913_075711.jpg

/ 2538 First Problem #7  
   / 2538 First Problem #8  
Are those two connectors supposed to fit together? They look like different makes.

no they don't fit together , they hook into connectors on various engine components, just took a picture of some that we had problems with :thumbsup:

/ 2538 First Problem #9  
it can be time consuming, sometimes taking several hours to check every pin hole on every connector. also you have to have the right males to check the slots which usually only a dealer will most likely have the right pin testers

/ 2538 First Problem #10  
LA Confederate - any update? Hope it was a quick fix.

There is a new updated program for the 2538 HST that might fix this. Perhaps the guy that ran bigsilver's 2540 did the same update.

The high pressure flag is apparently a phantom reading due to early programming on these machines according to J5 tractors.

I had the new tune installed recently and its like a whole new machine. Throttle response and "crispness" is great. Even stronger like bull now!