2538 Final Drive ?

/ 2538 Final Drive ? #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
My manual list a Final Drive Case (B) API GL-4 gear oil #80 or #90 or Mahindra universal tractor fluid. Where it lists all the fluids and capacities. Supposedly has same capacity as front axle. The issue is I cant find it anywhere else in the book as far as how to change when to change or nowhere in the maintenance schedule. Does it even have a separate final drive since it is an HST I am just a little confused as to what this is.

/ 2538 Final Drive ? #2  
An hst typically has one large sump of hydro oil in the rear. If your hst is like mine and most other Mahindra, you will have one drain hole in the center of the rear end and another on the roundish housing where the 'FINAL DRIVE' gears are. These are the large roundish castings just inboard of the rear wheels. If you lay under the tractor with the center drain plug just above you, you'll see the other drain plugs to your left and right on the inside of the housings. The plugs are probably mounted horizontally, rather than vertically like the center plug.

Open them up and drain them along with the center plug. Typically, these will refill with fluid from the main sump when new fluid is installed. After refilling the fluid, drive it and then recheck the dip stick and it should indicate a little low as the fluid 'escapes' into those drive gear housings. Top off as needed.

/ 2538 Final Drive ?
If they do indeed refill when you fill the main HST sump then it is odd they give you the option of #80 #90 gear oil or mahindra universal tractor fluid.

/ 2538 Final Drive ?
My manual calls for 80W-90 in front end. I am going to look at rear axle when I get home this evening and see if they have a final drive drain plug on each side.

/ 2538 Final Drive ? #5  
If they do indeed refill when you fill the main HST sump then it is odd they give you the option of #80 #90 gear oil or mahindra universal tractor fluid.

Are you looking at the hst section of the manual or the gear tranny section? The gear trans would have those areas separated from the manual transmission and would require the final drive to be lubricated separately. There are many posts about using gear oil or utf in the front axle. It really makes no difference is the general opinion. Same for the final drive in a geared machine.

/ 2538 Final Drive ? #6  
You might be getting confused between the front axle and the tranny. You can use either gear lube or UTF in the front axle but you always want UTF in the tranny. I put gear lube in my front axle. The front axle will only take about a gallon or so but the tranny and such takes gallons of fluid. Mine took 6 or 7 quarts of gear lube in the front axle but took something like 7.5 gallons of UTF in the tranny, rear axle, brakes etc. and mine is a gear machine. An HST machine will take a bit more UTF than a gear machine of the same model but not a whole lot more. Something like a two quart difference if memory serves.

/ 2538 Final Drive ?
The 2538 only comes in HST. It says 80w-90 for front axle and gives you maintenance e schedule for it. Right under front axle it says final drive case (B) and says &0-90 or tractor fluid. But nowhere in the book does it tell you when or how to change the final drive. Like it don't have to be changed. But if this isn't he case why does it give fluid specs.

/ 2538 Final Drive ? #8  
My manual calls for 80W-90 in front end. I am going to look at rear axle when I get home this evening and see if they have a final drive drain plug on each side.

For the front axle you should find a drain plug at the bottom of each gear housing at each wheel and another drain plug in the center differential.

My machine had a total of five drain plugs for the rear gear boxes. One at the bottom of each wheel housing, another two at the inner axle gear housings and another center drain on the bottom of the tranny. However when you spin the filter off, most of the UTF will drain out through the filter fitting unless you have already drained it. There's no sense changing fluids without changing the filter. However my book had a filter change listed at 50 hours and a fluid change at 100 which is just plain dumb because when the filter is spun off most of the fluid is going to drain out. DUH! Maybe the Korean manual makes more sense. Mine is a Mitsu machine.

/ 2538 Final Drive ?
You might be getting confused between the front axle and the tranny. You can use either gear lube or UTF in the front axle but you always want UTF in the tranny. I put gear lube in my front axle. The front axle will only take about a gallon or so but the tranny and such takes gallons of fluid. Mine took 6 or 7 quarts of gear lube in the front axle but took something like 7.5 gallons of UTF in the tranny, rear axle, brakes etc. and mine is a gear machine. An HST machine will take a bit more UTF than a gear machine of the same model but not a whole lot more. Something like a two quart difference if memory serves.

No I am not confused between the front and rear. It plainly tells you when to change the front and what fluid to use. It also tells you what fluid to use in final drive case (B) but nowhere in the book does it tell you when to change it. It is like it either don't have one or you don't change it as a separate item. The confusing part is if that is the case why does it list what fluid to use at all.

/ 2538 Final Drive ? #10  
No I am not confused between the front and rear. It plainly tells you when to change the front and what fluid to use. It also tells you what fluid to use in final drive case (B) but nowhere in the book does it tell you when to change it. It is like it either don't have one or you don't change it as a separate item. The confusing part is if that is the case why does it list what fluid to use at all.

Well my book says when and how often to change everything fluid and filters. It just doesn't give any part numbers for the filters which is kinda dumb. Neither the operator's or the service manual have a single part number anywhere in them. The operator's manual says UTF in the front axle but the service manual says either UTF or gear lube in the front axle. UTF in all the rest of the hydraulics and gear boxes, everything except the engine oil in the engine. All filters are changed the first time at 50 hours except for the air cleaner which is checked and cleaned as required. The hydraulic/tranny oil (UTF) is called out for the first change at 100hrs. with the filter at 50 (really silly) then at 300 hr intervals after that. Always change oil and filters at the same time. You'd think they would know this much because if you pull the filter, all the oil dumps out anyway. :duh: