New 2565 Major Problem!

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #1  

Nortac

Tractor
Mahindra 2565
I have a fairly new 2565 that I bought at the first of the year and has 47 hours on it. I was out mowing today and somehow a stick hit the oil filter (There is a seriously major problem for the filter to be hit like this from a stick!!) I never noticed until I saw the oil pressure light on. I shut the engine down and got out to see if I could find any issues. I notice some oil on the bottom of the motor and figured something was wrong but I was in tall grass and couldn't really tell. I started the engine back up and moved it about 10 yards onto the road. The oil filter was bent backwards and a huge gap was between the filter and the mounting area. There was only a few drops of oil on the road at that point. I walked back trying to find out what happened. There were sticks here and there but nothing major. About 50 yards back I found a large pool of oil. It leaked out fast. No warning alarm, no automatic shutdown, no flashing lights. Just the oil pressure indicator light came on. I left and came back several hours later letting the tractor cool down. Upon inspection the oil filter was loose and not really attached but was so bent on the threads It would not come off. The housing the filter screwed into was loose too. Is it just me or was this a terrible place to put the oil filter without some type of protective cover??? I tried to see if the tractor would turn over and it would not. To say I'm upset is an understatement from a da*n brand new tractor to have an issue like this. I don't even know where to begin with it.

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #2  
OH WOW- That is some serious bad luck and the engine is now seized?
Sounds like a rebuild or engine replacement is in the future unfortunately.
Do you have any kind of insurance on the tractor?

Last edited:
   / New 2565 Major Problem!
I have insurance but seriously doubt it will cover that. Honestly, I'm really ticked off about the filter location. This should have never happened. I plant to try to contact the Mahindra rep here next week to have a frank conversation about it. Just a real let down.

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #4  
can you post a pic of the filter location? did Mahindra mount it hanging way down or something?
I Can see the bent filter -,but can't really make out how far from the ground it is from the 1st pics.

/ New 2565 Major Problem!
It has protection on the sides and rear but is open for debris to hit it. It is very exposed from below and forward which is where problems will come from.

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #6  
i am sure other TBNers will chime in, Hopefully warranty or insurance can take care of this.

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #7  
I would think most insurance would cover this. For the future you could install a remote filter kit but you really shouldn't have to. Factory should have it protected but sometimes things just happen.

Last edited:
   / New 2565 Major Problem! #8  
I knocked the glass diesel filter loose on the side of my old JD 2240 once when I was out in the back of my property, and it was about 4 feet above the ground. Diesel squirting everywhere, but she made it back to the barn.... S*** happens.... Hope things work out for you...

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #9  
I've never seen a farm tractor, big or small that was built (from the factory) with any design intended to protect it's "belly" from anything but soft crops growing in a flat field. Today's tractors a little worse "down there" with the addition of more wiring & hydraulic components. Sorry about your luck, but in my opinion, this one is on you.
I do not understand why they (all of them) do not offer an additional belly protection pkg. as an option, they know what we are doing with these machines, and I think they would proffit highly offering a $4-500 skid plate pkg, and prolly sell a ton of them.

/ New 2565 Major Problem! #10  
The very same thing happened to me on my 2565. I was out brush hogging a customers field mowing mostly grass and some Russian olive when one of the branches apparently jammed between the loader frame and oil filter knocking the filter can sideways and blasting the right front of the cab with oil. I immediately shut the tractor down and did not restart it.

Since the complete engine had recently been replaced by the dealer due to a Mahindra engine mis-build, I called the dealer out to the field to diagnose the problem. Fortunately for me, I only lost about 3 quarts of oil so once fixed I was able to continue and finish the job.

I asked the dealer about the location of the filter on this engine as well and was told that it was just bad luck and there was nothing I could do to prevent this in the future. I agree that Mahindra should actually think about how these tractors are being used over here and make some design changes. Oil filter location, loader hose hook up protection, actually supply a front grill guard that's going to protect the grill (I built one and welded it on myself), and provide a calibration for the engine that doesn't constantly set a MIL light because I let my gear drive tractor idle for more than two minutes or work it at less than full throttle. It is a gear drive not a hydrostatic drive after all.

I thought I bought a durable work tractor not a weekend suburban sports tractor.