Oil Filter Removal

/ Oil Filter Removal #1  

bobholland

Tractor
Mahindra 26xlHST, JD 870
New 26xlMax owner here. Trying to do the 50hr oil and filter change. I cannot for the life of me get the oil filter off! Whatever gorilla at the factory put that thing on tight. I am unable to get a conventional filter wrench on it due to the limited space and can only get one hand on it to try the manual method. My JD 870 is a piece of cake compared to this thing. HELP!

/ Oil Filter Removal #2  
Do you have room to drive a screwdriver thru the end of the filter and use that for leverage. The first filters (installed by the factory gorilla) are always the hardest to get off.

/ Oil Filter Removal #3  
Can you send a picture of the space? Which conventional filter wrench type did you try? The type with a strap that tightens around the filter or the type that is like a giant socket? If there isn't room for one there may be room for the other.

I had space problems with my Kioti as well. There is no way it was tightened by hand. I did end up getting a strap type filter wrench on it but really had to mess with a radiator hose more than I would like to do on a routine basis. I'll probably buy a socket type filter wrench for future oil changes. In my situation, the socket type will slip right on and have plenty of room to turn.

/ Oil Filter Removal #4  
New 26xlMax owner here. Trying to do the 50hr oil and filter change. I cannot for the life of me get the oil filter off! Whatever gorilla at the factory put that thing on tight. I am unable to get a conventional filter wrench on it due to the limited space and can only get one hand on it to try the manual method. My JD 870 is a piece of cake compared to this thing. HELP!
Go get a 3/8 drive oil filter wrench from an auto zone or someone like that. It will fit over end of filter on that weird angle and you will be able to spin it off without a mess.

/ Oil Filter Removal #5  
once had a car filter stuck like that. I had a band and a socket type filter remover, neither would do the job. Drove a screw driver through it and it tore the filter to pieces. finely took a long flat tip screw driver and hammer, placed the tip of screw driver on the ring of the filter where it contacts filter base and and after a few whacks the thing loosen up.

/ Oil Filter Removal #6  
once had a car filter stuck like that. I had a band and a socket type filter remover, neither would do the job. Drove a screw driver through it and it tore the filter to pieces. finely took a long flat tip screw driver and hammer, placed the tip of screw driver on the ring of the filter where it contacts filter base and and after a few whacks the thing loosen up.

Had the same on a 1979 Chrysler New Yorker of my dads!...It took a long time and alot of tapping!

/ Oil Filter Removal #7  
get one of those plier filter wrenches, they will grab a hold of anything.

/ Oil Filter Removal #8  
Go get a 3/8 drive oil filter wrench from an auto zone or someone like that. It will fit over end of filter on that weird angle and you will be able to spin it off without a mess.

That in addition to a socket extension should get you there.

/ Oil Filter Removal #9  
One of the most important things to check for when buying a tractor/car/pickup, is where's the the oil filter, but we all forget that and just focus on motor size, cup holders and the WOW factor, a 5 YEAR warranty!!!. I lucked out I guess, the oil filter on my L3400 is easy peasy.......

/ Oil Filter Removal #10  
For tight locations, I like the Harbor Freight filter pliers. I have multiples of the end socket type but most filters don't give you room to put them on. If possible, that is my first choice, then the band type of wrenches and finally the pliers if all else fails. The pliers will crush and or puncture the filter if not used at the top end but I have never had a filter that the pliers wouldn't remove.