Do you slow down

/ Do you slow down #1  

theg

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
So I have a 1533 that I bought new in September 2016. It is the first tractor I have ever owned, so I am like a little kid on it. I seem to be finding jobs that are RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW jobs that were never jobs before. I can get on it and spend all day and forget the world. Now other half is ok for now with it.....she will mow with it... selfishly it's just super hot to see her operating it. Back on topic. I have almost 80hrs on it now, do you find your time on tractors slows down when the new wears off a little or all the "JOBS" get caught up? Or is my 1-2arc hay field that is now 5 lol going to keep getting worse?

/ Do you slow down #2  
Not so much the "new wears off" but the project list,just gotta have steady pace.

/ Do you slow down #3  
The 'afraid to scratch it' eases with time, but IMO the fun never ends. ;)

Add an attachment or two and even if 'used' and rusty, if it works there'll be a lot more 'new' to enjoy. :)

Then, there's helping or bartering small jobs for neighbors.

I'm on my second of each CUT and LUT to work ~2ac of my ten that isn't lawn or water. There were several days this year when both were used on a job at home, once with the b-truck and Terramite brought in, too. (brush clearing, tree removal ... seat-hoppng :laughing:)

btw, theg, you must have done some homework when shopping for the tractor. "Nice pick!" :thumbsup:

/ Do you slow down #4  
There is just so many projects that you need to do on acreage. You have to pace yourself or you WILL run out of things that need doing. Then you just start making work just so you can have some tractor time. Before I retired, there was always a full schedule of things to do when I was home. Now after 5 years, things have slowed to a crawl and I find myself asking neighbors if they want something done.

/ Do you slow down #5  
My problem is that I have a 100 acre homestead type farm, 20(+) sheep, horses, pigs, chickens, I heat 100% with firewood, My in-laws on one side of me and my 83 year old mother on the other side, all my boys are grown up and moved with jobs and families of their own, and a 48 hour(+) paying job... So the problem.... my 48(+) hour work week is inter-fearing with me getting my farm work done..... I can't wait for some of my grandsons to grow up so I can put them to work....

I've still managed to put 215 hours on my 2555 sense Feb 2016, but the projects continue to pile up.... So if anyone is looking for something to do because your bored.... come visit us in Maine and I'll put you to work......

/ Do you slow down #6  
It took about 3 to 4 years to get all the "must do" jobs done when we first moved here. Now most jobs are seasonal - snow in the winter, driveway maintenance in the spring & fall. I thin and chip around 750-900 small pines in the spring to maintain my trees. I clear rock & move fallen trees in the summer to keep the property cleaned up. About the only winter jobs are snow clearing - unless something unexpected happens.

Next year I want to disk & seed about ten acres to alfalfa. This will provide winter feed for the deer - not a food plot for hunting.

I usually have one major project each summer - some times I finish it, some times it goes over to the next summer.

/ Do you slow down
Hope the fun never stops. I have twin 13yr old daughters, & today we cleared thick brush together. The new ended for me when a friend baught some property that was a vineyard. They did not want the 300 t-post and said if I pulled them I could have them. One of the 8ft post came loose fell and scratched my hood. Sad day but the first scratch was the hardest.

/ Do you slow down #8  
Hope the fun never stops. I have twin 13yr old daughters, & today we cleared thick brush together. The new ended for me when a friend baught some property that was a vineyard. They did not want the 300 t-post and said if I pulled them I could have them. One of the 8ft post came loose fell and scratched my hood. Sad day but the first scratch was the hardest.

Maybe you should pull the posts with your 3PT. It should pop them right out of the ground, no muss, no fuss.

/ Do you slow down
Hummmm that is a idea

/ Do you slow down #10  
I know what you mean. been at it 8 years now (I'm sure farmers on this board would laugh at that) and I have slowed down and run out of things to do, but I still get excited when I need to use my tractor.