2555 air filter intake hose

/ 2555 air filter intake hose #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
Just got done adding a length of 2-1/2" I.D. [ woodworking dust collector hose ] hose to my air filter. I relocated the horn to the upper right. I also relented and went from a 12" holed radiator blocking foam board to a 7-1/4". The air filter was sucking in snow and getting the outer filter wet. Actually had fine snow packed into the outer casing of the filter. Now the filter will source it's air up high under the hood away from the fine snow getting sucked thru the hood screens at full throttle. The smaller radiator hole will cut down on the snow flow, too. Anywhilst, next time it snows I will let you know....

Attachments

• SAM_0818 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0818 (Large).JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 129
  • SAM_0820 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0820 (Large).JPG
    348 KB · Views: 114
   / 2555 air filter intake hose #2  
What's the advantage of the air intake relocation? The 15xx manual says to block the entire radiator in cold weather. On the 25xx does that cause overheating?
Thx for the post. I enjoy seeing the projects with pics.

/ 2555 air filter intake hose
Don't know about complete blocking. The manual says to block the radiator in the winter, but I am going at it in stages. I had a 12" hole in a foam board in front of the radiator, but that still sucked in huge [ ie: HUGE ] amounts of snow into the radiator/battery/air cleaner area. So now, I am going to try 7". My tractor heated up good using the 12" blowing snow. I am just trying baby steps, I had used a 12" on my Dodge Cummins and it seems to be OK in the winter. But it has a bigger intercooler and radiator than the Mahindra. The air filter intake was facing forward right into the incoming stream of air and snow, now it is tucked up high beneath the hood a little bit... hopefully out of the snow stream.... :)

/ 2555 air filter intake hose #4  
Ok makes sense. Thanks for the update. I know you posted before but where did you get the insulation board? The yellow looks like it has some nice reenforcement in it.

It's just the 1/4" foam sign board you can get at your local Wally for less than $3 American coin of the realm .. Just got yellow so I might remember to pull it out in the Spring... :)

Update: cleared the drive today [ gravel road out front, neighbor mailboxes, start of their drives, etc...]. With the 7-1/4" opening in the radiator board the temp gauge came up to half way just like the 12" hole did with 19 degrees outside temp, low wind. Had to crank down the cab heat about half way thru because it was getting stiffing in there. Noticeably more heat in the cab even though the temp gauge was the same. When idling down whilst I was cleaning the blower off outside, the gauge stayed at half way and not down to 1/4 scale like the 12" hole was doing. Still some snow in the battery area. Took the air cleaner apart and it was dry inside this time. Still a work in progress.... Going to leave it set up like this for now until I get a few more snows under my belt. :)

/ 2555 air filter intake hose #7  
Well I went BIG and blocked the entire radiator this morning. Outside temps were in the high 20°f. It came up to temp per normal and stayed there for about 45'. Then under heavy load I saw the gauge move one-two more bars above the middle. I removed the cover and temp went back down to the middle in under 1'.
I went back to the manual thinking Mahindra had lead me astray. The manual talks about blocking the grill- not the radiator. I will try to figure out a way to block the grill (short of having an upholstery shop make a cover and adding snaps) and post it here. It may help keep the snow out of the intake as well.

If you decide to do the 7-1/4" hole centered on the fan thing... the end cap of the air filter is about 7-1/4... so you don't have to go steal one of your wives bowls or plates... :)