Zerk fittings

/ Zerk fittings #11  
If the zerk thread size is metric, one of the possible dimensions it could be M10x1.

/ Zerk fittings
Thanks for all the great replies! I thought I would check the hole against a bit, but I think I will have to get a larger tap set, the one I have I think just goes to about 1/4 and this hole is going to be a bit larger. I had not thought of dimpling the hole, that was my concern was finding one that would fit the existing hole. I will probably put in 45 degree fittings so I can get to them without having to lift the front of the tractor to open it up so I can get to them.

Again, thanks for all the great comments, I will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to try and fix it. Just had my first granddaughter so I have been a little distracted!

/ Zerk fittings #13  
Take your 1/4-28 tap and pack the flutes with grease and tap away. The chips will be contained in the grease and won't enter the pin area. Done this many times on bearings and oil pan drain plugs.

/ Zerk fittings
Thats the trouble the hole is to large for a 1/4 tap. These are 1/4 28 zerks and they just rattle around in the untapped hole!

/ Zerk fittings #15  
I think, that while we all use a 1/4-28 SAE tap, the zerks are actually a small pipe tapered thread [ NPT ]. It you get one hole too big, there are zerks with about a 1/4" NPT tap, about 5/16" or a little bigger.... The standard old timey zerk are probably 1/8" NPT [ pipe is sized by I.D., not O.D. like a 1/4"-28 bolt ] And again, the next U.S. size is probably 1/4" NPT.... You can buy NPT taps and grind the nose flat which will work. If you keep F'n with the hole, eventually you will be going up the 3/8" NPT, then 1/2", 3/4" NPT.... Which at some point you will just weld on a little pipe coupling and screw the zerk into that..... if there is enough metal left... :)

/ Zerk fittings #16  
Chances are you won't want to punch it out any bigger than you have to, maybe a 1/8 NPT or a metric might work. Here's a site that shows all the different types for reference.

/ Zerk fittings #17  
Thanks for all the great replies! I thought I would check the hole against a bit, but I think I will have to get a larger tap set, the one I have I think just goes to about 1/4 and this hole is going to be a bit larger. I had not thought of dimpling the hole, that was my concern was finding one that would fit the existing hole. I will probably put in 45 degree fittings so I can get to them without having to lift the front of the tractor to open it up so I can get to them. Again, thanks for all the great comments, I will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to try and fix it. Just had my first granddaughter so I have been a little distracted!

Hey congratulations! Granddaughters are the best!😃

/ Zerk fittings
Yeah, got my granddaughter tonight to give my daughter-in-law a little break. They are in from out of state for a few days. Had to cut up a tree from across my mothers drive today, it hung on a bridge and fence in her drive. Had to use the 5035 and forks to get it down to keep from tearing the fence down! Sure helps to have nice strong big toys to work with!
I will get on the zerk project as soon as the kids go back and things slow down. Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I will have to go and see what size zerks and taps I can find. Just don't want to mess it up and have to drill a larger hole!

/ Zerk fittings #19  
Make sure you use a bottom tap if your not taking the pin out.

/ Zerk fittings
Not sure what a bottom tap is?