Zerk fittings

/ Zerk fittings #1  

alafarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Belarus, allis chamlers, Mahindra
Wanted to see if anyone has ran into this problem on their 5035. I was greasing the ML130 loader a couple of weeks ago and put the gun on the zerk on the rear top loader arm and it was squirting grease out around it. I pulled gun off and fitting came with it, thought crap I broke it off, but no the hole was over sized and not even threaded! Went to the other side, and same thing, hole over sized and the 1/4 28 zerk was just stuck down in an over sized unthreaded hole! Kind of par for the coarse on quality on these tractors! I know the loader was not built by Mahindra, but tired of this crap on a new machine!

Anyone have any suggestions on the best and easiest way to fix this? I gave up on the dealer helping! Put in a call and can't even get them to return my call! Don't really know exactly what size hole it is, can't get my calipers in there to measure and the rain has kept me from investigating any further. Can you get larger zerks that will fit my gun? I have mostly dealt with the 1/8 and 1/4 size zerks. I know you can get press in zerks, that might be easier as I would not have to pull the loader and pins to get to it to tap it. That is if I don't have to re-drill the hole to a specific size. Can't believe they just stuck the zerks in the holes, they had to know. That was not just an over site!

/ Zerk fittings #2  
Amazon, hardware stores, auto parts stores etc will have a selection of zerks in standard and metric threads. Just tap the holes and thread them in.
Not making excuses for the loader OEM but zerks do strip twice in awhile.

/ Zerk fittings #3  
Did the zerks that came out have threads on them? I've run into applications (barrel hinges for gates) that have pressed in grease fitting, probably to save labor on threading. You should be able to source suitable threaded fittings, but will probably have to pull all the pins in order to cut the new threads.

/ Zerk fittings #4  
Btw- if understanding which zerks this is you should be able to raise the front of the machine enough to allow the loader to lower enough to get the two zerks in without disassembly.

/ Zerk fittings
Yeah, I can raise the front of the tractor and get them back in, but to tap them I will at least have to pull the pins.

Flyerdan, The threads on the zerks were perfect, the holes had no sign that they had ever been threaded and are large enough to just stick the zerks in. The only reason they had not fallen out, was the sticky grease filled hole had them held in!

Rneumann, they were not stripped, I have seen them stripped these had perfect threads on the zerks and no sign of threads in the hole. The hole is probably drilled about 5/16 for a quarter zerk!

I was just wondering If I could find zerk threads that large that would still work with my grease gun end?

/ Zerk fittings #6  
If you are unable to use calipers to measure the hole diameter, try drill bits to measure with until you get close within a few thousandths, then compare 1/8" pipe tap drill size to determine if a 1/8" NPT zerk will work. If you can get the drill in position of course. 1/8 NPT zerks are common and that's what I prefer and yes your gun will fit.

/ Zerk fittings #8  
I've used a narrow center punch held at an angle to dimple the hole which will close up the clearance and hold a drive in zerk.

/ Zerk fittings #9  
The drive in Zerks have grooves that look like threads. I wonder if the OP's have grooves or threads. They may be press-in ones that went into an oversized hole. Or maybe the Zerks were undersized from what was intended. Still should have been noticed when built.

Bruce

/ Zerk fittings #10  
When I bought my 5035 back in 2011 I changed those loader zerks to 45 degree ones, so I could grease it easier. I think it came with staight ones. Can't remember what thread size I used, though. Metric or SAE......