Front Differential Leaking From the Top

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #1  

Neugene

Tractor
1963 Ford 2000, 2017 Mahindra 3540
I drove my relatively new (37 hours) 3540 PST about 3/4 of a mile up the road to fill the fuel tank yesterday. It ran smoothly and moved at a pretty good clip most of the way running around 2,800 rpm in high range 4th gear. As I walked around the front, after parking it in the driveway, I noticed some clear oil dripping from the front differential.

After inspecting the situation the oil was coming from the top of the diff. I called the dealer who told me there is a purge/blow off valve on top of the diff and since they topped the gear oil off before delivery it (the oil) just expanded due to the heat generated by running it flat out down the road and that resulted in the "extra" blowing off via the aforementioned valve. Admittedly I did find/feel something on top of the diff that could be this purge/blow off valve but I can't see it.

Either way his explanation makes complete sense to me. My concern, if you can call it that curiosity may be a better term at this point, is that I've never seen this happen before.
I've operated tractors since I was a boy but this is my first brand new one so there are things happening that sometimes leave me lifting my brand new Mahindra cap and scratching my head.

Again, the dealers explanation makes sense to me, IF and only IF the thing on top of the diff is a blow off valve,

My hope is that the more experienced Mahindra owners here (you guys) will chime in here and let me know for certain if I have a leak or just a properly functioning blow off valve.

Thanks,
Chris

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #2  
I would guess that the dealer is correct. Now, I have a 4025 and I am wondering why you would or how you can get 2800 out of the engine? The most mine will crank is about 2450, and I can tell that is about all it wants. Max horsepower is developed at around 2300, PTO speed is 2053. My 4025 is the same engine less the Tier 4 equipment added to yours. The internals of the engine should be the same. My real question is why you would run it that fast and for what reason. I may be missing something here and I hope someone corrects me if I am.

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top
As to how you can get 2800 out of the 3540's engine, I just pulled the hand throttle open once I got it into 4th gear on the open road and it spooled up to 2800 rpms.

Now as to why you would do it or even want to for that matter, that's a little more involved.

Thanks to "progress" and urban sprawl my onetime country roads are now suburban and heavily traveled. To the best of my knowledge, there are only three tractor owners left including myself within a 5 mile radius of my place. All of the other farms have been subdivided or developed for businesses. As a result of all this if you're not moving at a pretty good clip on these roads you end up with a string of cars behind you with drivers expressing their discontent due to their lack of expedient progress toward their destination. Now, even though I was raised to be courteous and polite, I often find myself fighting my own left middle finger which at times, having a mind of its own, has the urge to tell these impertinent drivers that they're number one.

So, in order to avoid all of this to the extent possible I, as my Papaw used to say, take the bridle off all my tractors when I'm on the road. Doing so on the Mahindra is a pretty smooth and uneventful albeit quick ride. My 8n and 2000 Fords on the other hand were more of a handful especially going down a steep grade.:laughing:

Chris

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #4  
Sorry about that, I was thinking you had a 4540. They are not the same engine. One day I'll get my facts strait. Carry on.

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #5  
You may see some oil expelled there if the axle was over full. I would run it hard and see if it still leaks .:confused3:

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #6  
On our 3550 PST we had the same thing. Leaking oil from the top of the front differential housing. On ours the rubber hose with the hose clamp came off. The hose didn't have enough play so to say as the front axle traveled. It's a real pain to get the hose back in and the hose clamp. However we never had problems again, since we corrected that.

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #7  
Is there a level sight glass on the front axle, like I have on my Kioti? If so, on level ground see what the level shows after the tractor has sat still for some amount of time. If not, check owner's manual/service manual to determine how to verify correct fill level of the front axles/differential.
Chances are you're blowing off excess fluid from an overfill situation from the dealer/factory. But you want to make sure that is what it is and not something more serious, though unlikely....

/ Front Differential Leaking From the Top #8  
Is there a level sight glass on the front axle, like I have on my Kioti? If so, on level ground see what the level shows after the tractor has sat still for some amount of time. If not, check owner's manual/service manual to determine how to verify correct fill level of the front axles/differential.
Chances are you're blowing off excess fluid from an overfill situation from the dealer/factory. But you want to make sure that is what it is and not something more serious, though unlikely....

Bingo, what he said. I'd look up the capacity chart, drain and refill.(using the same drained oil since it's new). They overfilled your axle and because of pressure or heat, the system is ejecting excess oil.