RPM needle will not move, stay on zero.

/ RPM needle will not move, stay on zero. #1  

DJP

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra,4500
When I am cutting with my Mahindra 4500, and everything appear to be operation fine, and cutting, but my PRM needle on my dash do not move off the zero, even when I raise the RPM with the RPM handle on my steering wheel. Why is this??????:mad:

/ RPM needle will not move, stay on zero. #2  
Give it good smack with your hand. should break free.

/ RPM needle will not move, stay on zero. #3  
Mine does sort of the same thing- intermittently though. It reads zero when the key is off but starts to work again as soon as I turn the key clockwise. Sorry sarcasm aside.

Beyond a lose connection it sounds like a bad motor in the instrument cluster. If it's under warranty they will replace the whole cluster. If it's out of warranty you can either try and replace the whole cluster or just the little motor.
Their was a long period of time that this was a known issue in Chevy trucks. Their are a few shops that just do Chevy instrument clusters. They have the motors and typically have a 2 day turn around. I'm betting a call to one of those shops would provide some better insight if this isn't under warranty.

/ RPM needle will not move, stay on zero. #4  
Mine does sort of the same thing- intermittently though. It reads zero when the key is off but starts to work again as soon as I turn the key clockwise. Sorry sarcasm aside.

Beyond a lose connection it sounds like a bad motor in the instrument cluster. If it's under warranty they will replace the whole cluster. If it's out of warranty you can either try and replace the whole cluster or just the little motor.
Their was a long period of time that this was a known issue in Chevy trucks. Their are a few shops that just do Chevy instrument clusters. They have the motors and typically have a 2 day turn around. I'm betting a call to one of those shops would provide some better insight if this isn't under warranty.

For reference my Chevy has about 6 of those little motors in the cluster. I had all 6 replaced plus the light bulbs for about $150....if memory serves me correctly.

/ RPM needle will not move, stay on zero. #5  
My 6530 does that from time to time i replaced the cluster and it did not fix it. What i finally figured out is if i rev the engine to around 2000 rpm that tach all of the sudden wakes up and works fine till the next time i shut it off.

/ RPM needle will not move, stay on zero. #6  
It sticks. Common problem. Just give it a few good taps.