Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap #1  

rdinatal

Gold Member
Tractor
Old: 2016 eMax25s HST, New: 2017 Max 26xl HST
This may not be Mahindra specific.

When last refueling the strainer came out of the tank when the cap was undcrewed. Not a big deal. When taking the strainer off I noticed the rubber gasket had ripped. It was so soft that it was falling apart in my hands.

Anyone else experience this? Sort of reminded me of a couple of sci-fi movies...

-R

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap #2  
Not on my tractor but, yes, on my Honda walk behind lawn mower. I "crafted" a replacement gasket out of some thin sheet rubber. I would hate to consider the fuel cap on my Kubota going bad - I've heard hoar stories regarding the price of replacements.

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap #3  
It sounds like some chemical came in contact with the seal that caused it to fail. Either something in the fuel or a distant second some type of cleaner. The seal material isn't really "rubber" anymore. They are made of materials (EDPM is common) that resist a broad spectrum of chemicals. However, even modern engines need special seals to run some of the hybrid fuels. If the fuel cap had a basic type seal and came in contact with a newer type fuel it could cause failure. The fortunate thing is the cap is generic and is easily replaced at an auto parts store.

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap #4  
Over the years I've made replacement gaskets out of just about anything.......cork, old inner tube rubber, leather, purchased gasket material and even some handy plastic.......they all seem to work pretty good on diesel and gasoline.

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap #5  
The gasket was probably rubber and your fuel probably contained alcohol , It is well known that gasohol causes reactions with rubber compounds.

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap
Took the cap to the dealer today. They looked at it and immediately gave me one under warranty. They could tell something was wrong.

While there I talked to the service guy about a lot of "stuff". He said not to use any additive as this area (NC) doesn't need any. Also picked up filers and O-rings for the 50hr service.

-R

/ Rubber Gasket on Fuel Cap #7  
This may not be Mahindra specific.

When last refueling the strainer came out of the tank when the cap was undcrewed. Not a big deal. When taking the strainer off I noticed the rubber gasket had ripped. It was so soft that it was falling apart in my hands.

Anyone else experience this? Sort of reminded me of a couple of sci-fi movies...

-R

Mine did the same thing and it's brand new.