Loader 1533/1538 FEL curl

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl #1  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
I have zero complaints about the lift capacity on my 1533. However, I've had a few incidents where I couldn't curl. In other words I could lift but couldn't curl. I've never been on a tractor that did that- it's always been the opposite.
Before I go down the custom cylinder route I figured I'd better ask what others have experienced with their 1533/1538s.

Thank you

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl #2  
I have zero complaints about the lift capacity on my 1533. However, I've had a few incidents where I couldn't curl. In other words I could lift but couldn't curl. I've never been on a tractor that did that- it's always been the opposite.
Before I go down the custom cylinder route I figured I'd better ask what others have experienced with their 1533/1538s.

Thank you

No problems with the FEL on my 1538. It's done everything I've asked it to do but that really isn't a whole lot in my situation. Moving some dirt and stuff last summer to re landscape the front and moving snow out of the driveway this winter.

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl
IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

Thanks for the info. In both these cases I could lift but couldn't curl.

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl #4  
I have 1533 and have had the opposite issue but mine I think was low rpm and tooo high weight. Once I took smaller bite all good. I wish i could help but the hydraulic stuff is witch craft to me. Several knowledgeable people have tried to help me understand how to add to the tractor but..... anyhow. May wanna try on the hydraulic forum. Keep us or me posted.

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl #5  
I would think you are overloaded because of the weight being so far out, it will pick up 1650 at the pin, the more distance from the pin the more it multiples the weight seen at the pin.

Loader type: Mahindra 1538L
Weight: 780 lbs [353 kg]
Height (to pin): 99 inches [251 cm]
Clearance, dumped bucket: 79.8 inches [202 cm]
Dump reach: 20.5 inches [52 cm]
Dump angle: 42
Rollback angle: 19
Breakout force (at pin): 2650 lbs [1202 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin): 1650 lbs [748 kg]
Bucket width: 60 inches [152 cm]
Raise time to height: 3.9 s
Bucket dump time: 2.6 s
Lowering time: 2.4 s
Rollback time: 2.6 s

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl
I understand the specs. Theg and my own experience, with several other tractors, tells me lift typically (almost always) tells you you are at capacity- not curl.

To me it's odd I can lift those loads but can't curl them closer to the machine.

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl #7  
   / 1533/1538 FEL curl
Exactly! Normally you slide the forks under a boulder, curl it into the machine and lift.
As you can see- I can lift but can't curl it into the machine- backwards!!

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl
My post in the hydraulics section had a few ideas about switching the QDs between the lift and curl functions. It was hard to mentally operate the FEL controls but I did dive into some clay mud with the bucket......guess what......curl, no lift!

I'm going to try some new QDs as those are cheap and prone to a blockage.

BTW I also tested the hydraulic pressure. It makes 2200 psi at idle (pressure regulator) and above idle. Both on the curl and lift circuits.

/ 1533/1538 FEL curl #10  
My post in the hydraulics section had a few ideas about switching the QDs between the lift and curl functions. It was hard to mentally operate the FEL controls but I did dive into some clay mud with the bucket......guess what......curl, no lift!

I'm going to try some new QDs as those are cheap and prone to a blockage.

BTW I also tested the hydraulic pressure. It makes 2200 psi at idle (pressure regulator) and above idle. Both on the curl and lift circuits.

The bucket is way shorter than the forks, so your comparison may not be valid. Put the forks back on and put something really heavy near the tips and repeat the test. I do not think switching the hoses will fix it, because I do not think it is actually messed up.

With a bucket, not forks, I bet you will always have curl remaining even if your lift is maxed. But that is not the case with forks.

I'm not adamant that I am correct. Perhaps you engineer types on this forum can chime in.