I Hate ROPS...

/ I Hate ROPS... #21  
ROPs were put on as standard equipment in the interest of safety. The worst thing manufacturers' did was to later make them foldable if safety was foremost in their mind. Along the same lines, an operator doesn't get the full benefit of the safety margin out of ROP if they are not using their seatbelt.

That is where I admit my safety short coming is. More often than not, I find myself not buckling my seat belt while operating my tractors. Different story when I am in a car or truck, I don't put it in gear without first buckling up.

/ I Hate ROPS... #22  
get a pole saw, and chop those low limbs down.

after a few slaps in the face, used some tree shears (large scissors, with extra long handles) worked out of the truck bed, while someone else drove around, then saved up for a pole saw. tree limbs no longer an issue, still requires 1 time a year trimming though.

it simply not fun getting cuts on face, arms, hands, legs (wearing shorts), and then across top of your head and near the ears. (arghs). i quickly got tired of abusing myself. if i gotta move just a little bit or even turn tractor just a little bit to avoid a branch, the branch, the branch gets cut as high as possible if not taking out a larger limb to do so.

/ I Hate ROPS... #23  
get a pole saw, and chop those low limbs down.

after a few slaps in the face, used some tree shears (large scissors, with extra long handles) worked out of the truck bed, while someone else drove around, then saved up for a pole saw. tree limbs no longer an issue, still requires 1 time a year trimming though.

it simply not fun getting cuts on face, arms, hands, legs (wearing shorts), and then across top of your head and near the ears. (arghs). i quickly got tired of abusing myself. if i gotta move just a little bit or even turn tractor just a little bit to avoid a branch, the branch, the branch gets cut as high as possible if not taking out a larger limb to do so.

I am currently recovering from my annual pole saw exercise, I just can't justify a powered one for the bit I do each year. The motion with the manual variety is not in my usual exercise regime:laughing:.
I trim stuff so that I can either get the mower under it without knocking my hat (or head) off or where I need to get the tractor through without catching me or the ROPS.
The worst thing on my place are the Hawthorne trees that grow along the fence lines courtesy of the birds. Those things are wicked. :eek:uch:

/ I Hate ROPS... #24  
I am currently recovering from my annual pole saw exercise, I just can't justify a powered one for the bit I do each year. The motion with the manual variety is not in my usual exercise regime:laughing:.
I trim stuff so that I can either get the mower under it without knocking my hat (or head) off or where I need to get the tractor through without catching me or the ROPS.
The worst thing on my place are the Hawthorne trees that grow along the fence lines courtesy of the birds. Those things are wicked. :eek:uch:

please do not remind me of fence lines. that is next on list. clearing fence lines of trees. have a couple i don't remember name 2" long thorns on them. and then a couple other bushes with 1/2" thorns. and i think i got a new raspberry thorny in another spot of fence that needs to be removed as well.

pole saw or chain saw do not mix well with fence *big frown with a sigh* not going to like the leather gloves and long sleeve jacket to whack them out. *time to order some peroxide and more bandages and triple antibiotic stuff*. i can already feel the scratches and poking.

/ I Hate ROPS... #25  
I bought a cheap electric Harbor Freight Pole saw and I love it. Might be worth looking into if you have a source of electricity. I put my Honda generator in my FEL bucket and with an extension cord I can go anywhere on my property and it's actually kind of fun. Using a 25% coupon it can be had for $64!

9.5 In. 7 Amp Electric Pole Saw

/ I Hate ROPS...
You safety nazis relax. My posts have been 20% blowing off steam from busting the mount and 80% levity.

lev·i·ty /ˈlevədē/ noun

noun: levity; plural noun: levities

humor or frivolity, especially the treatment of a serious matter with humor

Now where's my sawzall? :confused:

:thumbsup:

/ I Hate ROPS... #27  
Get taller cows so they eat more branches :D

I do keep a low boy Massey with under swept exhaust and no ROPS strictly for mowing pastures. Flat property, wide track, so no real chance of a roll over. I can go under anything a cow can with a little bobbing and weaving of my head.

/ I Hate ROPS...
Get taller cows so they eat more branches :D

I do keep a low boy Massey with under swept exhaust and no ROPS strictly for mowing pastures. Flat property, wide track, so no real chance of a roll over. I can go under anything a cow can with a little bobbing and weaving of my head.
I may end up using the 8N again just for the outside round for that very reason. The only reasons I haven't already are logistics of going back and forth for tractors and lack of live PTO. I've gotten used to being able to stop when I want to after 40 years! Maybe I could get the cows some stilts...

/ I Hate ROPS... #29  
My feeling is that it is my tractor, and I will drill holes in my ROPS or take it off if I want. I also have used tractors for many years that did not have seat belts, operator presence seat switches, or ROPS. Safety stuff added to tractors only make the tractor safer for poor operators. But when you get the cow stilts thing worked out, I would like to see you post a video....... :)

/ I Hate ROPS... #30  
I don't hate the ROPS on my tractor - I finally found a good use for it and now its up all the time. I put a canopy on the ROPS. Keeps the extreme wx off the shinny spot. It also means the tractor is always in the tall stall of the carport.

I've never minded working out in the snow - got plenty of hats of all types & shapes. Its the 'ol sun that raises heck with me - too much sun can burn the dome and lead to headaches. I choose a canopy over some type of summer hat.