I Hate ROPS...

/ I Hate ROPS... #1  

tbzep

Bronze Member
Tractor
1948 Farmall Cub, 1952 Ford 8N, 1962 Ford 861 (sold), 2015 Mahindra 3550, 2017 Gravely ZT HD 52
Just need to vent. The 3550's ROPS is tied into the tractor in such a way that it looks like I can't remove it without a sawzall. I've always run vintage open tractors with no ROPS and have easily ducked under limbs while bush hogging around the edges of my pastures. I keep the ROPS folded down, but it's still several inches higher than my head. Yesterday I easily pushed one above my head and when I dropped it back down, it caught the ROPS. The limb came forward and drilled me in the back of the head. Later, I ducked under one that was about eye level and it busted off the turn signal box mounted on the ROPS. Looked online and it's an $85 part. $@#$^!!! Time to get out the epoxy and fiberglass and see if I can salvage it.

/ I Hate ROPS... #2  
I think maybe that tree was just giving you a dope-slap!

Just kidding... mostly. :laughing: Best of luck.

/ I Hate ROPS... #4  
I hear you understand,the day may come when your glad there best safety device on the tractor.

/ I Hate ROPS... #7  
Like grabbing the chainsaw?:laughing:
That was my first thought and most logical.

Try running close to tree lines with a farm tractor with a vertical exhaust pipe up front while watching the implement behind you. You don't do that more than a couple of times before grabbing a chainsaw for sure. :confused2:

/ I Hate ROPS...
That's shade for my cattle. I'm doing it for the childre....I mean cows!
file.php

Attachments

• file.php?avatar=10849.gif
    file.php?avatar=10849.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 715
   / I Hate ROPS... #9  
My solution was built a full cage ROPS/FOPS complete with limb risers up from the grill guard and brush screen behind the ROPS. I love it.