2538 50hr not changing trans fluid.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
Took my 2538 to the dealer for 50 Hr service. Was told they had quit changing out the Hyd/Trans fluid during the 50 Hr just change filters and top off for loss while changing filters. I am sure they would have changed the fluid if I had said to change it anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of any other dealers doing this. There is no doubt that the fluid is not hurt after 50Hrs. I never really understood changing it at 50hr. He said Everything else is done same as always. Replace all other fluids and all filters.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #2  
My dealer said the same thing when I took my 2538 in for 50 hour service. They also didn't change hydro when I took it in for the 100 hour service last weekend. He said that they will do it at 200 hours.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #3  
I changed the fluid in my 5035 at 50 hours. The sump screen was full of grey iron dust from the gears/etc doing their initial lapping in. There was some bigger stuff, too. I did it again at 400 hours and everything was pretty clean. I am glad I did the change early at the 50 hour mark. But that 's just me.... :)

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #4  
I am coming up on my 50 hours and I will be doing all fluids and filters, but just cleaning the trans screen, no sense replacing that.

I figure it is cheap insurance against future failure.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #5  
meh...

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #6  
Took my 2538 to the dealer for 50 Hr service. Was told they had quit changing out the Hyd/Trans fluid during the 50 Hr just change filters and top off for loss while changing filters. I am sure they would have changed the fluid if I had said to change it anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of any other dealers doing this. There is no doubt that the fluid is not hurt after 50Hrs. I never really understood changing it at 50hr. He said Everything else is done same as always. Replace all other fluids and all filters.

I just finished 50 hour service on 2538. Seems like a waste of good fluids. Original technician was a best, needed pry bar to loosen plugs & filters. Used TSC fluids, 80W90 in frt. axle, prem. universal transmission fluid, & Shell T5 in engine. Filters from Mahindra dealer. Window to check fluid level in final drive is well hidden, it is there, just hidden by shield. At least I will not do another service for a year & by then I'll have forgotten the issues I had.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #7  

I changed both the fluid and the filter. In my opinion, the first change is the most critical as this is the one that gets all the junk from the gears lapping in and such. I will not change it again at 100 hours but will go straight to the normal change schedule. I think it odd that they call for changing the filter at 50 and the fluid at 100 since it's somewhat idiotic as the fluid drains when you remove the filter. At least it does on mine.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #8  
I'm going to hit 50 hours this weekend (Mahindra 2540).
I'll not only change the engine oil, the front axle, and the transmission/hydraulic oil, I'm going to drain all of the hydraulic cylinders as well after reading about the sludge; I'm prepared for a fifteen gallon change, with the loader and the backhoe and tree grabber. Then it will be a while before I touch the transmission. Already have my TSC premium universal fluid, I just need to run to the dealer for filters.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #9  

It seems like the dealers & manuals are all over the place about this. I talked to the dealer about mine last week 11-7-17, and they told me all filters and fluids must be replaced. I checked my owners manual and the only things stared for service at 50 hrs are the engine oil/filter, tranny/hst oil and filters and the front axle oil. The fuel filters and air filter show nothing necessary until 500 hrs. For me I'll change the hst/tranny oil and swap out with synthetic ,when I do the filters anyway. I see no need to do fuel and air filters until the 500 hr mark or at least once a year. I wish they were consistent about the service requirements.

/ 2538 50hr not changing trans fluid. #10  
It seems like the dealers & manuals are all over the place about this. I talked to the dealer about mine last week 11-7-17, and they told me all filters and fluids must be replaced. I checked my owners manual and the only things stared for service at 50 hrs are the engine oil/filter, tranny/hst oil and filters and the front axle oil. The fuel filters and air filter show nothing necessary until 500 hrs. For me I'll change the hst/tranny oil and swap out with synthetic ,when I do the filters anyway. I see no need to do fuel and air filters until the 500 hr mark or at least once a year. I wish they were consistent about the service requirements.

Fuel Filters are critical in a HPCR engine...as such they should be changed at least every oil change regardless of the mfg recommendation...especially if the unit sits for long periods of time allowing moisture to build in the fuel system. Changing out the Trans/Hyd fluid is critical at 50 hours as all of the metallic debris from the gears, pumps, and valves from break in should be removed.