Stump Bucket

/ Stump Bucket #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
Any of you have one of these on your tractor. Looking for opinions from folks with first hand knowledge. Also I hear people say you will tear up the loader on your tractor but this is from people that don't have one. Has anyone ever tore up there loader using one. Thinking of buying one of these but don't want to waste $500.

Stump Bucket Dig Spade with Teeth – Skid Steer Attachment Depot

/ Stump Bucket #2  
Look over in the attachments section. I remember someone had one and liked it. Unfortunately that was about 6 months ago so I don't know who it was.

/ Stump Bucket #3  
I have a stump bucket and so far its been a handy thing to have. If you have a backhoe.......you could probably hold off on one but thats just me. I am new to using one but from what I have gathered what tears up a loader is using it like a crow bar and trying to pry out a stump. Using one more like a wood chisel and shaving the dirt and roots from around the stump slowly digging it out is much less stress on the loader. I also like using it to push over trees because its heavier made than the standard bucket that came with my loader. This is the one I have.

#35 Stump Bucket | MS Attachments

/ Stump Bucket #4  
Lots of folks on TBN own stump buckets, as do I. Mine has been used a lot for digging stumps and I quit trying to dig out the large ones in my hard, rocky, clay soil as I do believe it causes undue wear on a machine designed to pull (primarily) and lift- not dig. If I had sandy loam or other lightweight soil I would have no reservations as I have used mine there also.

Try this search from your Internet Browser of choice: stump bucket site:tractorbynet.com

/ Stump Bucket #5  
I use one, mainly for stumps less than 8''. It only takes 10-15 minutes a stump typically. Some are quicker. I work around the base, piercing the soil and using the ripping edges to slice through the roots. This way, I am not putting a lot of stress on the loader. On the shallow roots, the front teeth rip them easily. Once I have severed the tap root, and several of the larger roots, I can usually push the stump over. It helps to leave about 18-24'' if the tree base if you can. I usually wait to dig stumps until after it rains because it makes it much easier.