TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread

/ TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread #1  

TXHF

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 TLB
Hey all. TXHF here... That means Texas Hobby Farmer btw. In all the motorcycle/truck forums, people start a build thread for their machines, so I thought I'd start one here and consolidate everything about my tractor here. I joined this forum to gain knowledge after ordering my new 2017 Mahindra 2538 TLB. I'd done a ton of research, watched countless videos and visited dealers to test these machines before settling on the 2538.

Background: I grew up in rural Maine on a farm that our family of 9 sustained themselves on. Acres of garden and lots of animals. My Dad passed away when I was 10. By then, only three kids were left home and we couldn't sustain the farm. Mom sold off a lot of acreage and all the equipment, met a tradesman and remarried so Farming was done. The last time I drove a tractor was at 10 yrs old. I never dreamed I'd be on 27 acres in Texas and owning my own tractor. I guess, you often return to your roots, right? Well, I've made a career in Information Technology and work with servers, systems and email. I won't bore you with the details. We bought this property because the new home I bought oustide of Austin just doesn't suit us. The house is awesome but there's no room to do anything. We feel like the unfortunate person in the middle seat on an airplane with two very large people on either side of us... The land came up for sale, the price was more than OK so we decided it would be our retirement home. We've offered out three adult kids each two acres to build on. One absolutely will, the other two, not so sure... It's there if they want it.

Going forward, I plan to keep my timeline running here. Maybe it will inspire others who are considering it to make this jump. Maybe.... it will scare you away. :D Either way, I'll take all your comments, good or bad, and learn as I go. A lot has changed in the 42 years since I last farmed.

And thank you, all of you, for your contributions to this forum. I joined on June 19th and 90% of my questions have been answered with searches that turn up all the wisdom shared on this site. I appreciate each of you who take the time to document your experiences on both what you should and should not do. It helps a lot so please keep posting!

/ TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread
Day one with the tractor started on July 22nd. We picked it up at the dealer. The package deal was a 20' Load Trail hauler, 2017 2538 TLB, 6' shredder and pallet forks. All hooked up to the Tundra and ready to roll. This squatted the OEM suspension too much so I've since picked up a set of Firestone Ride Ride airbags for assisting loads in the back. I'll install those this weekend.

516347d1500905161-your-towing-rigs-trailers-20170722_100851-jpg

Prior to buying the tractor and inspired by another product already being sold, I made my own T-post driver to mount on my FEL which I will do soon and have video posted of it in action. Below is a link to the thread I'd started there so anything related to the driver will continue in that thread.
DIY: Bucket-mounted T-Post driver

Also prior to actual purchase of the tractor, I built this canopy to install on the day I picked it up. It is all described in this link below and oustide of one annoying fitmet issue that doesn't affect function, it works exactly as planned.
DIY: ROPS Canopy on a budget

Follow along with me and help me figure things out please. Thanks for reading. ~Eric

After driving through the gate, we unloaded the tractor and my wife jumped on and took off. Here's a short video of her enjoying the machine.

/ TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread #4  
I'd recommend measuring the tongue weight % of total trailer weight, if you squatted that much on the Tundra, you're WAY to heavy on the tongue! That's classic of a equip trailer, they are over-balanced to the tongue, and if you look, the largest percentage of your load is over/forward of the tandems - only the BH hangs over behind the wheels, so you need to consider load configuration. Even if you get rid of the 'squat' you won't have proper load on the front wheels for steering, another consideration would be a load leveling hitch that forces some of the tongue weight on the front wheels. I've driven rigs balanced (read: UN-balanced) the way yours is, they are OK until something happens, then you wish you'd have taken the time to balance instead of saving that time to clean your britches.

Otherwise, nice looking setup, looking forward to seeing progress. I like the fact you jumped on improvements before even taking delivery! I did the same, just so much to do and so little time!

/ TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread #5  
Load levelling hitch is the way to go. Relatively inexpensive and no 'installation'.

I'd recommend measuring the tongue weight % of total trailer weight, if you squatted that much on the Tundra, you're WAY to heavy on the tongue! That's classic of a equip trailer, they are over-balanced to the tongue, and if you look, the largest percentage of your load is over/forward of the tandems - only the BH hangs over behind the wheels, so you need to consider load configuration. Even if you get rid of the 'squat' you won't have proper load on the front wheels for steering, another consideration would be a load leveling hitch that forces some of the tongue weight on the front wheels. I've driven rigs balanced (read: UN-balanced) the way yours is, they are OK until something happens, then you wish you'd have taken the time to balance instead of saving that time to clean your britches.

Otherwise, nice looking setup, looking forward to seeing progress. I like the fact you jumped on improvements before even taking delivery! I did the same, just so much to do and so little time!

Thanks (to both of you). Yes, they had it front-heavy. They loaded it all while the trailer was on their yard truck, not while on my Tundra so when I hooked up, she sank but it didn't bottom out so I chose to drive it that way. In all, it handled fine but Next time, I'd work the tractor to a better balancing point on the trailer. That will also be the only time the entire assortment will be hauled at the same time. When the 2538 goes back for service, it will be the tractor and FEL only, maybe not even the FEL and only the tractor.

Regarding the hitch... Any issues with a Haul Master (Harbor Freight) distribution hitch?

/ TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread #7  
Regarding the hitch... Any issues with a Haul Master (Harbor Freight) distribution hitch?

They are OK, but after having one with built in sway control (not the friction kind, but the cam style) I'd only use it. The cam style will nudge the truck back in line w/ the trailer but is not strong enough to prevent making turns, but it sure helps on the open road with side winds or when a big flat front semi passes - you can drive 1 fingered and the hitch manages the blow by draft. It's worth the extra $$ - but then I'm a little sensitive to safety when towing, just my 2cents worth.

here's the type I prefer, yes pricey, but you only live once! Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 17, lbs GTW, 1,7 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP6675 (This one is overkill in capacity, but you can find the correct one I'm sure.)

They are OK, but after having one with built in sway control (not the friction kind, but the cam style) I'd only use it. The cam style will nudge the truck back in line w/ the trailer but is not strong enough to prevent making turns, but it sure helps on the open road with side winds or when a big flat front semi passes - you can drive 1 fingered and the hitch manages the blow by draft. It's worth the extra $$ - but then I'm a little sensitive to safety when towing, just my 2cents worth.

here's the type I prefer, yes pricey, but you only live once! Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 17, lbs GTW, 1,7 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP6675 (This one is overkill in capacity, but you can find the correct one I'm sure.)

Thank you Sir! I looked up the one I'd need and it is $556.00. So, the sway is controlled by the cam action at the end of the spring arms? Looks like it applies more down-force if the trailer sways in either direction. These hitches are like voodoo magic to me... but then the Reese guy explained it best. He said, "Think of these arms as wheel barrow handles. They force the weight to the front of the truck." Now it makes sense.

I agree, cheaper is hardly ever better and you really do get what you pay for. ;)

/ TXHF Mahindra 2538 TLB - Timeline thread #9  
It not so much forces more down force, but as it rides up the angle on the arm, it forces due to down force to return to the lowest point, therefore creating a centering action. I've driven both it and friction, by far the cam style is better because of the self centering vs. just friction - self centering makes a world of difference.

They finally got my bucket in Friday night. I picked it up and we went out Saturday and Sunday and got several stumps taken out. The soil out there is very easy to work with. The 2538 performed well! I'll grab some short video next weekend.

We chose one of the only large trees on the lot to set up home base. I built a picnic table with PT and composite to put out there and we put an easy-up over it when we are working. Well, we had a three foot fearless visitor Sunday who had no issues advancing on us and it left me with no choice. My wife made him move about using the tractor and when he uncoiled to try and get away, I got him with my machete. I know they are dangerous but I still hate to kill them. They do keep the rodent population at bay. Side note, I did see two other larger rat snakes which I left alone and scared them out of the work area. And yes, I wear Rocky Snake boots when working out there. ;)

Next up is the driveway head and installing culverts, then we can put in the driveway.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170730_105952.jpg
    20170730_105952.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 523