Parking brake 2310

/ Parking brake 2310 #1  

Mouse77

Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2000, Ford 1710, Mahindra 2310
Ok here goes, since I do not have an operating manual and just recently purchased this tractor am asking and learning. Can not make parking brake work. Push brake pedal down then small parking brake pedal..does not lock to hold brakes, as long as I keep foot on little pedal it holds brake pedal in place. What am I doing wrong?

/ Parking brake 2310 #2  
It should work as you mention: push on the brake, activate the lock lever, let up on the brake, and let loose of the lock lever. My Mahindra (TYM built, as is yours, I believe), my White garden tractor, and my brother's Mahindra 16 series (made by Mitsubishi) have a hand lever in close proximity to the brake pedals, not a pedal, for the lock.

Last edited:
   / Parking brake 2310 #3  
Your parking brake is probably like my 4110 - uses a tooth & pawl to lock the pedals down and mine has been terrible since new. The teeth won't stay edged properly to work, I have had mine off maybe 3 or 4 times in 15 years to touch it up some with a hand file. I NEVER trust this parking brake to hold my tractor, always use the boxblade and/or the FEL to anchor the tractor. If your brake pedal freeplay adjustment is too tight, it may not let the 1st tooth of the ratchet/pawl catch. Or you may have a problem like mine.

Hold your foot lightly on the small park brake pedal while you push down your brake pedals (locked together) and you should feel one or more teeth move the park pedal a little. Once you've felt at least one of these teeth pass, hold the park pedal down while you let up on the brake pedals. Once you're off the brake pedals completely you can release your foot on the park pedal and it should hold. To release the parking brake, simply press the brake pedals firmly and the park pedal should pop up on it's own from it's spring.

/ Parking brake 2310
Thanks for replies, skipmarcy that is the way I figured it was supposed to work but doesn't. I will have to pull the shrouding off or the column to see what is happening. Thanks again. I will update when I get it apart and fixed

/ Parking brake 2310
Thanks for replies, skipmarcy that is the way I figured it was supposed to work but doesn't. I will have to pull the shrouding off or the column to see what is happening. Thanks again. I will update when I get it apart and fixed

Alright, finally took column cover off, had to take whole shroud off too, appears all mechanisms are working properly. I made p/brake work by really pushing down hard on brake pedal. Brakes might be adjusted to tight. Will just have to use it for awhile and see. Thanks to all for the feed back and info