1538 hst

/ 1538 hst #1  

ah64driver2002

Tractor
Ford 3000
Well before I run to my dealer in a panic I was wondering if anyone has ran into this type of issue before. I have a 1538 host with a front loader. Had the brush hog on it today cutting the pasture. The tractor has just over 50 hrs on it. I am fairly new to tractors this was a replacement for a Ford 3000. The issue I am having is that when going up hill or turning up hill the tractor will slow to a stop. Rpms will not drop. The tractor will sit there for a second and then slowly start moving again. I am not on the tractor. I have ran into this before when I use my box blade to repair my driveway but that is due to the amount of dirt that I am dragging around. Even if I lift the brush hog off the ground it does not takeoff. This occurs in 2wd and 4wd high gear 1 and 2nd speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated

/ 1538 hst #2  
Well, the common symptom you describe is that this occurs when the tractor is angled on an upwards slope (hill).

That suggests a fluid level (probably fuel but could be hydraulic) is low at that angle.

/ 1538 hst
Fuel level showed 3 bars. I will check had level. Thanks

/ 1538 hst #4  
Am I reading this right- HST in high gear? I've never had mine in high gear while doing any work or going up hill. I'm guessing u r over geared.

/ 1538 hst #5  
Am I reading this right- HST in high gear? I've never had mine in high gear while doing any work or going up hill. I'm guessing u r over geared.

Yup, agree. Put it in M and remember when you need more power, you let off on the drive pedal, not push it down further. HST gives you a higher 'gear' the further you push the pedal.

/ 1538 hst
I am a bone head. It is not a hst. It's a 1538 shuttle. Again new to the tractor world. My first tractor was a 65 and fairly simple to use. This thing has switches and levers. I checked the hyd level per the book and it was good. Guess I will keep troubleshooting til I can get it to the dealer. Thanks again for the advice and sorry for the improper if of my tractor.

/ 1538 hst #7  
If a shuttle (or manual transmission automobile) keeps engine RPMs but slows down, either the tires, or, much worse, the clutch, is slipping! Check the play in the clutch pedal immediately, per the manual!

Last edited:
   / 1538 hst
Tires don't spin. Sounds like this may be more than I am willing to troubleshoot. It is still under warranty so I will contact my local dealer thanks

/ 1538 hst #9  
Tires don't spin. Sounds like this may be more than I am willing to troubleshoot. It is still under warranty so I will contact my local dealer thanks

You can check the clutch play; the clutch pedal should move a little bit before you feel pressure. Note also that a leaking seal can soak a clutch in oil, which can make it slip under heavy load. But if it's under warranty ...