How do reach the drain plug on a 5035?

/ How do reach the drain plug on a 5035? #1  

NT5224

Tractor
Mahindra 5035
Ok this may be a dumb question,

But I just spent 30 minutes rolling around in the dirt under my 5035, looking at the sump drain plug. None of my spanners or wrenches can access it easily because of that bolted on crossmember directly underneath.

Would appreciate some advice from the seasoned 5035 operators out there. Is there a special trick or tool that makes access to the drain plug easier? Given its such an important and regular thing to access I'm surprised it's so difficult to reach

Thanks in advance

Alan

/ How do reach the drain plug on a 5035? #2  
You did not mention what type of transmission you have [ if that matters ?? ] or what you are actually trying to drain [ probably the common sump hyd oil ]... But my 5035 HST had more than one drain plug on just about everything. There was one on the bottom of the sump and one facing forward, then several in the transmission area. I took out the one on the bottom to drain, but ended up taking out everyone I could find to make sure the magnets were cleaned on all of them. They were all 1/2" NPT plugs with 1/2" square heads if I remember right. I painted the heads red so I could remember where they were. If you are talking about the two big plugs in the oil pan, those can be a pain if you try to take them out with a socket and wrench. I went to Wally [ ye olde house of Walmart ] and bought a big box end wrench they had in their trailer ball area that is pretty inexpensive [ seems to me around $10 ]. One end of the common trailer ball wrench fit the big plugs just right. I am sure you can source a trailer wrench down there Mate...!!!! [ HAVE A GREAT DAY...!!!! LIFE IS GOOD...!!!! ] :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Wrench-Model-74342/15125802 [ only $7.28 up here in the Northern Part of the world ... ]

[ other than that, maybe post a picture of the brace that is in your way... Feel free to let me know if this post is of no use whatever to help you in your predicament ... It's not that I like being bad mouthed, but that I am old enough that my memory of it fades away real fast... :) ]

Last edited:
   / How do reach the drain plug on a 5035?
You did not mention what type of transmission you have [ if that matters ?? ] or what you are actually trying to drain [ probably the common sump hyd oil ]... But my 5035 HST had more than one drain plug on just about everything. There was one on the bottom of the sump and one facing forward, then several in the transmission area. I took out the one on the bottom to drain, but ended up taking out everyone I could find to make sure the magnets were cleaned on all of them. They were all 1/2" NPT plugs with 1/2" square heads if I remember right. I painted the heads red so I could remember where they were. If you are talking about the two big plugs in the oil pan, those can be a pain if you try to take them out with a socket and wrench. I went to Wally [ ye olde house of Walmart ] and bought a big box end wrench they had in their trailer ball area that is pretty inexpensive [ seems to me around $10 ]. One end of the common trailer ball wrench fit the big plugs just right. I am sure you can source a trailer wrench down there Mate...!!!! [ HAVE A GREAT DAY...!!!! LIFE IS GOOD...!!!! ] :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Wrench-Model-74342/15125802 [ only $7.28 up here in the Northern Part of the world ... ]

[ other than that, maybe post a picture of the brace that is in your way... Feel free to let me know if this post is of no use whatever to help you in your predicament ... It's not that I like being bad mouthed, but that I am old enough that my memory of it fades away real fast... :) ]

G'day Jerry

Hope you are well and thanks for your response.

In fact you have confirmed what my helpful dealer suggested to me over the phone. Yes, I meant the oil sump and two big drain plugs underneath. On my 5035 there is a cross member bolted between the chassis railings just behind the sump which limits access to them. I couldnt see how I could get in there to loosen the plugs but my dealer reckons that it is not too difficult using just a large spanner like the one you linked me to. I think its about a 1-1/8".

Im new to my 5035 and its my first tractor so theres a learning curve!

Regards from The Territory

Cheers

Alan

/ How do reach the drain plug on a 5035? #4  
[ :) :) :) ]