Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #1  

BuggyMasters

Tractor
Mahindra 2538
Seems there is a factory kit and aftermarket. Is the factory kit easier to install compared to say a WR Long kit? I'm a car mechanic but don't have experience with tractors and hydraulics. I "get it" with an overview of what needs to be done but that's just from my underexperienced point of view. Is it a big deal to add it? Any and all comments/suggestions welcome.

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long
BTW my goal is to add a grapple. Also what's the best source pricewise for either kit? EA is local to me.

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #3  
The WR Long kit is a true third function- it allows lift, curl and the third function at once. The Mahindra kit is a diverter that diverts from curl to the third function when an electric button is pushed. The diverter style is available from several sources for far less than Mahindra. The diverter is seen as the easy way to do it but looses some function. I personally have a true third function (WR Long style) and wouldn't be without it.

If you are a mechanic I'd recommend buying the valve and FEL control grip with the needed switch. Then have the hoses needed made. It will take the price from about $1000 to well under $500. Say an hour of research and an hour to have hoses made. You are still ahead.

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #4  
I'm trying to decide the same. Dealer said it may be awhile for the factory kit because of the damage in Houston. Probably going to go with the WR Long; but I may check with a hydraulic place in the next town over. I know they make custom hoses, just need to see if they have the other bits and pieces.

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #5  
I have the Long kit to control my grapple. Works great, a very clean kit. i have no complaints.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

The WR Long kit is a true third function- it allows lift, curl and the third function at once. The Mahindra kit is a diverter that diverts from curl to the third function when an electric button is pushed. The diverter style is available from several sources for far less than Mahindra. The diverter is seen as the easy way to do it but looses some function. I personally have a true third function (WR Long style) and wouldn't be without it.

If you are a mechanic I'd recommend buying the valve and FEL control grip with the needed switch. Then have the hoses needed made. It will take the price from about $1000 to well under $500. Say an hour of research and an hour to have hoses made. You are still ahead.

Ok. We have a local place here that can make hoses. Can you provide a crash course on the plumbing?

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #7  
Your loader control valve will have a "power beyond port" that is full hydraulic pressure (regulated pressure used for FEL). You would go out of that and into an electric valve. Out of the electric valve and up to your third function. From third function and back into hydraulic tank.
Use the Scorpion electric grip switch and an electric valve from a reputable source.

One Touch Kit for Tractor Loaders - Installation - YouTube

Watch this and then this-

One Touch Kit Installation for Tractor Loaders - Part Two - YouTube

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #8  
BTW if EA is local, so is CA as referenced in the videos above. I think they are in the same town.....and may be related-brothers?

/ Adding a 3rd function to 2538. Mahindra or WR Long #9  
I replaced my existing valve with a joystick + grapple, all hydraulic. (If I were doing it again I'd get a smaller valve, for $100 more.) Plus I get to use my "old" joystick valve for remotes!
Replace FEL Valve with Joystick with Grapple

RNeumann, thank you. That actually seems pretty simple. Now I just need to find the PB line off my loader valve. This leads me to this question: why would anyone go with a diverted instead of a full 3rd function? What about it makes it simpler and/or cheaper? I mean you would still have to plumb it and surely there's something that has to be hooked up to make it "divert" so why would anyone go that route?