Optima Battery for a 26xl max

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #1  

bobholland

Tractor
Mahindra 26xlHST, JD 870
Has anybody put an optima 25 red top into their max? Taking some rough measurements with the OEM battery and comparing the specs to the Optima specs it appears the space is too small for the Optima. Any other AGM battery to consider and does it fit?

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #2  
Optima has several sizes- I'm sure they make the correct size for that machine.
No actual experience with that tractor but lots of experience with the optimas.

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #3  
Has anybody put an optima 25 red top into their max? Taking some rough measurements with the OEM battery and comparing the specs to the Optima specs it appears the space is too small for the Optima. Any other AGM battery to consider and does it fit?

I suggest you look at Odyssey instead of Optima. Optima batteries used to be good but not so much anymore. Optimas quit selling batteries and started selling their label a few years ago when they moved production to Mexico and ever since they've been not so great.

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #4  
There are AGM batteries in that size range. It's a Group 51 iirc battery, if you go to the car parts store you'd be looking for an AGM battery for like a mid 90's honda civic or the like.

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #5  
I suggest you look at Odyssey instead of Optima. Optima batteries used to be good but not so much anymore. Optimas quit selling batteries and started selling their label a few years ago when they moved production to Mexico and ever since they've been not so great.

I've used Optima red tops in most everything since they first came out in the early 1990s. I think they are an excellent battery and worth the expense. Yes, we have occassionally had one that did not last - but we have a lot of equipment and that's to be expected. There's been no problem exchanging those for new ones.
BTW, Optima started manufacturing in Denver, and it is my understanding that they began to move mfg to Mexico in 2000. They shut down mfg. in the USA sometime about ten years later. The US wasn't favorable to big mfg. in those years and a lot of companies moved back then. I heard that the Mexican batteries had problems at first, but didn't experience it personally. Anyway, that's all in the past. They seem to work now.
rScotty

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #6  
My one experience with Optima batteries didn't fair so well. It went completely dead overnight after about 2 years of use on my RTV900 Kubota. Local NAPA store is the authorized distributor, but had none in stock. He said they were too expensive so most folks wouldn't buy them. I bought a replacement NAPA 84 battery instead. It has been going strong for 6 years now. MY original lead acid battery in my 2009 Kubota B26 is still doing it's job also.

I see no need to pay more than double the price to get an AGM battery for a tractor, lead acid type work fine for less than half the price.
Just get a sealed maintenance free one so you don't have acid spills when you turn it over on that hillside.

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #7  
I have AGM batteries in both of my Dodge Rams, one set is the Advance Auto AGM, the other is Optima Red Tops. Both sets are over six years old and doing fine. Put an AGM on my Ford 1210 tractor about a year ago, not had a problem since installation. Don't expect any. AGM batteries are known to last 2.5 to 3 times the warranty if you don't drain them down to nothing. I keep a maintainer on my tractor just because it doesn't get the run/re-charge time the trucks get. I'm very happy with my decision. YMMV

Rams

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #8  
There is a green top interstate battery that is my go to when replacing the Max batteries....

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #9  
I use Interstate, but just the regular XHD, better CCA than the Odyssey, and I can pick up 10 blems from my local Interstate house for the price of one Odyssey. That's about 25 years worth of batteries.

/ Optima Battery for a 26xl max #10  
I have always bought my batteries from advanced, I have always had luck with there batteries and they are a very fair company.

The last battery I bought from them was last week, I replaced a new looking Napa gold battery that’s less than two years old with a auto craft gold battery, the Napa battery kept losing charge and it tested 50cca lower than rated.

I had a coupon advanced emailed me for $20 off $50 or more, I also pulled up on there website, they advertise 25% off which they match in the store so I got a $165 battery for $115 or so after tax and a core, 3 year free replacement, core is $22, I have had the Napa battery on the charger and I will have it retested tomorrow because it might have warranty left on it.

I have had the auto craft silver or gold in everything that needs a new battery, had one in a mud truck all the way to my daily drivers, one truck has a platinum battery in it, I bought it new in 13 and it’s going strong still.

Also if you find a better price on the same battery, advance will match it then match there online promotion etc.

They mail me coupons all the time and I’m getting cheap parts off them now, $5 off here, $20 off there lol