OBD Code Reader

/ OBD Code Reader #1  

Gaowlpoop

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4540
I got a check engine light on my 4540 today. I guess it is time to get a code reader. I have one that I bought for my truck about 16 years ago but it will not read the codes on the tractor.

NOTE: I DO NOT have a smart phone but I DO have an iPad.

I need advice on what would be a good OBD code reader that I can use on my tractor. I would rather have a stand alone reader but one that I can use with my iPad and Blue Tooth would be acceptable.

Thank you

/ OBD Code Reader #2  
Hate to say it but I'd check Amazon and see what is rated well. I went the iPhone route once and that is in the drawer with the old phone collecting dust- obsolete. A code reader that will read and clear codes costs about $30. No need for special features- that starts to get into vehicle/brand specific items and has little cross compatibility is unlikely to work with Mahindra.
If you did want a full on high end unit that can command functions like fuel pressure etc call Mahindra or the dealer to verify what you will need. That unit is probably over $1000.

/ OBD Code Reader #3  
If it's truly OBDII compliant, any reader should read it.

I have one of these, and love it. It comes with good software to take detailed logs, and it can be used with your smartphone, too.

It's far more versatile than a standard reader.

/ OBD Code Reader #4  
The MIL light on my 2555 comes on every once in a while (always related to low RPM operation). I wanted to see exactly what code(s) were being generated, so I bought this:

Amazon.com: GXG-1987 WiFi Wireless OBD-II Mini ELM327 OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool Adapter Reader Scan Code Tester for iPhone 6S 5 iPad4 iPod mini IOS PC Windows, Android Device …: Automotive

I also bought "Torque Engine Management Diagnostics and Tools" for my Android ($5.00 from Google Play Store). I've only had to use it once, but it worked flawlessly. It was able to retrieve and clear the two codes it found (EGR-related, of course). I was also surprised that it recognized my tractor as a Mahindra 2555 and displayed several of her mechanical properties as well (engine displacement, Weight, etc.). This software can do a whole lot more than retrieve codes, but I didn't have any extra time to spare. But I'm sure I'll find time to explore its capabilities soon enough.

For only a $20 total investment, I'm able to see exactly what's going on with my engine.

Man, I wish it was that easy with my 1969 Cutlass;).

/ OBD Code Reader #5  
I had one of those units, and used Torque, but the unit died suddenly one day, and I replaced it with the OBDLink. The phone app is much better than Torque, plus it comes with the Windows software which does far more.

/ OBD Code Reader #6  
This is very interesting, I have to look into this....... Mark the OBDlink that you are speaking of..... it works well for you? I am curious of its other capabilities.

/ OBD Code Reader #7  
I got a check engine light on my 4540 today. I guess it is time to get a code reader. I have one that I bought for my truck about 16 years ago but it will not read the codes on the tractor.

NOTE: I DO NOT have a smart phone but I DO have an iPad.

I need advice on what would be a good OBD code reader that I can use on my tractor. I would rather have a stand alone reader but one that I can use with my iPad and Blue Tooth would be acceptable.

Thank you

I'd get a standalone OBDII reader then you won't have to worry about whatever other device you use with an attachment going obsolete on you. Just ask me how I know. If the reader you already have is OBDII it should work to read the codes but you might have to look factory specific codes up on the Internet since tractors are the odd man out in the OBDII world.

/ OBD Code Reader #8  
Well.... have to find out what the codes mean. I did a quick search and cannot find anything.

/ OBD Code Reader #9  
This is very interesting, I have to look into this....... Mark the OBDlink that you are speaking of..... it works well for you? I am curious of its other capabilities.

Yes, it works quite well. My first one died a few days shy of the 90 day warranty. Contacted the company and they shipped a new one, no questions asked.

/ OBD Code Reader #10  
Even with the reader you will only be able to see the meaning.... not fix anything. Youll need to take it to the dealer and sooner the better if its under warranty