1538 Loss of Power - Help

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help #1  

SDCouch

Tractor
Mahindra 1538 Shuttle
I have a 1538 Shuttle (w/FEL) and just recently the Engine Malfunction light started blinking. This was accompanied by a loss of power when the tractor is under a load - like when back-dragging with my root grapple. The engine runs, but throttle response is slow and when going up a hill it will loose RPMs. This was not a gradual thing, it was a sudden thing.

Thinking that it might be a clogged fuel filter (or something of that nature) I replaced both filters. When I removed the primary filter, I discovered it was that cheap paper filter and it seemed to be starting to denigrate. There were a few small pieces of it in the bottom of the bowl. After cleaning that out and replacing it with a much better filter, and replacing the filter/water separator, I was hoping that was the issue. Unfortunately that did not help. There seems to be no residue in the tank (it was drained to replace the filters).

Am I stuck now with removing the entire fuel line and pumps? How much of a job is that? Are there any other suggestions anyone might have before I undertake all this? Any help or direction is appreciated.

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help #2  
I have a 1538 Shuttle (w/FEL) and just recently the Engine Malfunction light started blinking. This was accompanied by a loss of power when the tractor is under a load - like when back-dragging with my root grapple. The engine runs, but throttle response is slow and when going up a hill it will loose RPMs. This was not a gradual thing, it was a sudden thing.

Thinking that it might be a clogged fuel filter (or something of that nature) I replaced both filters. When I removed the primary filter, I discovered it was that cheap paper filter and it seemed to be starting to denigrate. There were a few small pieces of it in the bottom of the bowl. After cleaning that out and replacing it with a much better filter, and replacing the filter/water separator, I was hoping that was the issue. Unfortunately that did not help. There seems to be no residue in the tank (it was drained to replace the filters).

Am I stuck now with removing the entire fuel line and pumps? How much of a job is that? Are there any other suggestions anyone might have before I undertake all this? Any help or direction is appreciated.

It sounds like a badly clogged air filter.

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help
I checked the air filters. They were relatively clean - but I blew them out anyway. So they are ok.

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help #4  
A mechanic at Mahindra told me the tractor would do that after repeatedly starting it before the prestart sequence had completed...you might want to call them.

Yea, I have just been reading about needing to have the ECU flashed because of one of two issues. One being a phantom "high common rail pressure" error which causes the tractor to go into "limp mode" and two being not waiting 5+ seconds with the key in the on position before starting it. The other thing that I have noticed is that the Temp gauge does not really register at all, which is another indication that the ECU needs to be reflashed (based on what I have read).

So, I guess the next step is to take it for service - which I was hoping to avoid. Although, that would be less pain on my part and probably just the same amount of downtime.

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help #6  
Needs a flash then good to go

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help #7  
Yea, I have just been reading about needing to have the ECU flashed because of one of two issues. One being a phantom "high common rail pressure" error which causes the tractor to go into "limp mode" and two being not waiting 5+ seconds with the key in the on position before starting it. The other thing that I have noticed is that the Temp gauge does not really register at all, which is another indication that the ECU needs to be reflashed (based on what I have read).

So, I guess the next step is to take it for service - which I was hoping to avoid. Although, that would be less pain on my part and probably just the same amount of downtime.

Yep you need to have the ECU reflashed. This much I know from the temp issue if nothing else.
You might also want to get yourself an OBDII scanner so you can read and reset the CE light if and when it comes on. Also useful for most cars so it's not a tractor only tool. Everyone should have at least one scan tool unless they don't even change their own oil or change flat tires.

There should be no need to haul the tractor in just to reflash the ECU. It's a very simple and common procedure that takes only minutes to accomplish. Trucks and cars are reflashed by owners all the time.

There should be no need to haul the tractor in just to reflash the ECU. It's a very simple and common procedure that takes only minutes to accomplish. Trucks and cars are reflashed by owners all the time.

So where would I get the code to reflash? I have no problem doing it myself.

/ 1538 Loss of Power - Help #10  
The T4 codes will never reach the public so they don't have to worry about people deleting their emissions like the auto world..