Backhoe Mahindra owners. Little help here please.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #11  
I've used two Mahindras, my brothers, and mine, for a couple hundred hours. One is made by Mitsubishi, the other TYM, with a Mahindra powerplant. Total issues: fuel drip due to loose fitting. I tightened the fitting. Rear tail light housings weak, easy to break off. I will replace them with LED units. Mechanically, no issues, lots of PTO work grinding stumps, etc.
It's never a good idea to make a brand decision on a sample of one. I don't necessarily always listen to others when it comes to their experience, when some are using tractors as they would a skid steer.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #12  
Lemon laws will not apply to this...

just a lot of salt

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please.
I've used two Mahindras, my brothers, and mine, for a couple hundred hours. One is made by Mitsubishi, the other TYM, with a Mahindra powerplant. Total issues: fuel drip due to loose fitting. I tightened the fitting. Rear tail light housings weak, easy to break off. I will replace them with LED units. Mechanically, no issues, lots of PTO work grinding stumps, etc.
It's never a good idea to make a brand decision on a sample of one. I don't necessarily always listen to others when it comes to their experience, when some are using tractors as they would a skid steer.

Loaders with buckets are put on tractors to use. Not sit and look like they could be. They also now put skid steer quick attach mechanism on them so you can use a grapple, a plow, etc.

I bought a tractor because it is a multi-use machine. I don't use it as a skid steer. And I will not take a skid steer onto soft soil. Skid steer, decent size one weighs too much for that and all you have is the loader on it. No three point, no backhoe. Right tool for the job. They sell these tractors to do this work. If they can't make them tough enough to do what they claim, they shouldn't make them. Maybe for most homeowners or small property owners they will be okay. Because most don't work them very hard. Maybe that is what Mahindra knows. Make more money selling to the bigger number of people. Maybe bean counters have that figured out. ?

Thank you for your comments.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #14  
The 3550 is supposed to be Mahindra' s top tier heavy duty tractor. When they don't break down, they seem like a beastly machine. Mahindra Corporate are tough to deal with. I understand Brenda is not their anymore. I had one issue with my MLahindra, and a dealer who I did not buy the tractor from diagnosed and repaired under warranty, once they knew Mahindra would cover their cost amd give them the tech support. I would think the dealer would go to bat for you and get corporate support to help them get the tractor working up to snuff.

In any case, I see you had a old L35 Kubota TLB so you know how they work. The L45/L47 would more or less match the 3550 for digging and BH work and is more compact, But the L45/47 has tiny tires and weighs almost 2000 lbs. less than the 3550 equipped as a TLB with the big hoe. The M59/M62 is the tool to have, unless you are doing a lot of Ag work.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please.
The 3550 is supposed to be Mahindra' s top tier heavy duty tractor. When they don't break down, they seem like a beastly machine. Mahindra Corporate are tough to deal with. I understand Brenda is not their anymore. I had one issue with my MLahindra, and a dealer who I did not buy the tractor from diagnosed and repaired under warranty, once they knew Mahindra would cover their cost amd give them the tech support. I would think the dealer would go to bat for you and get corporate support to help them get the tractor working up to snuff.

In any case, I see you had a old L35 Kubota TLB so you know how they work. The L45/L47 would more or less match the 3550 for digging and BH work and is more compact, But the L45/47 has tiny tires and weighs almost 2000 lbs. less than the 3550 equipped as a TLB with the big hoe. The M59/M62 is the tool to have, unless you are doing a lot of Ag work.

Yes. When everything is working with this tractor it is a beast. Production is good. That tells me that the tractor can do this type of work that I am asking it to do. But, it's reliability has been poor so far. I still don't have it back. Day 8 today that they have had it.

Strongly considered Kubota L45. Almost bought one. Wish I did? Sometimes now. When this brand new tractor is in the shop. Lots of lost time. But I wanted Ag tires for working in soft soil and snow. I like to cut wood in the winter. I've owned several tractors with industrial tires and most times they are good, but too many times where I can't do what I want when I want on because of soil or snow conditions. And only so much time we are off from the real job. I don't think you can put chains on a Kubota TLB series because of the clearance between rear tires and backhoe frame. At least that is what I was told when I owned my L35.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #16  
Yes. When everything is working with this tractor it is a beast. Production is good. That tells me that the tractor can do this type of work that I am asking it to do. But, it's reliability has been poor so far. I still don't have it back. Day 8 today that they have had it.

Strongly considered Kubota L45. Almost bought one. Wish I did? Sometimes now. When this brand new tractor is in the shop. Lots of lost time. But I wanted Ag tires for working in soft soil and snow. I like to cut wood in the winter. I've owned several tractors with industrial tires and most times they are good, but too many times where I can't do what I want when I want on because of soil or snow conditions. And only so much time we are off from the real job. I don't think you can put chains on a Kubota TLB series because of the clearance between rear tires and backhoe frame. At least that is what I was told when I owned my L35.

Spacers and weights solve the problem with chains
Tire size works against you on the TLB'S on soft ground.

Attachments

• P1010717.jpg
    P1010717.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 347
  • P1010180.JPG
    P1010180.JPG
    946.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 20161230_093255.jpg
    20161230_093255.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 323
  • Front Tire Chains_L39_2 (1024x614).jpg
    Front Tire Chains_L39_2 (1024x614).jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 292
   / Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #17  
That looks like some 'crunchy' snow! I miss it, sometimes. Then I snap out of it...

-R

Last edited:
   / Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #18  
I bought a 2555 Cab HST in December of 2016 and in March of 2017 I noticed a PTO problem when I went to use it; search for Clicking PTO on this site - very lengthy thread.

You need to get hold of your regional service rep. If your dealer has any weight to them they will get them in there and/or you on the phone with them. I would also go to the Mahindra Customer site and put in a request through their web portal to customer service. Ask to speak with Ernesto Lopez, Sr. Manager, Customer Support & Dealer Development - after having a "Come to Jesus Meeting" with him and one of the Vice Presidents they replaced my tractor with a different model (mPower 75p) on their dime. Mahindra backed themselves into a corner with me because they sent out 3 engineers to look at the machine and could not fix it... plus the cutter I was running (recommended by Mahindra to be used on the 2555 HST) had PTO requirements the 3550 could not handle. At the same time I was demo'ing an unreleased model and got in good with the US Service Rep providing valuable feedback to him about the tractor.

For me, the stars aligned perfectly and wound up with a $10K upgrade. The mPower is a great tractor and have zero issues with it... the 3550 is one heck of a machine, as well as the 2555 - but it seems like we got lemons - it happens, but start hammering on corporate. My dealer was phenomenal throughout all of this and went to bat for me as well but ultimately it was some well crafted emails which got Mahindra's attention and ball rolling for me.

Good luck!

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #19  
Wondering if any Mahindra owners could offer up suggestions on contacting Mahindra representatives and getting problems resolved.

I was really excited about my Mahindra when I got it. My 3550 can do some serious work, when it's working. The combination of power and the hydrostatic transmission with side by side pedals makes for quick loader work.

However, I have had many hydraulic leaks and several other more serious issues. To the point that several times in my first ten months I have not had my tractor.

Here is a list of problems, the ones I can remember.

1. Hydraulic leaks. Many. This hydraulic fluid
ends up on my property. And continues to.

2. Steering problems. Bolts had fallen
completely out of the steering mechanism
where it connects to frame of tractor. I was
told best not to drive it. (Ya think?) And they
needed to take it. More time I couldn't do
anything.

3. Power lead problems to battery. Severe
corrosion. More loss time when it won't start.

4. "Bogging down" loss of hydraulic power,
preventing me from doing anything further.

5. Transmission problem. Complete loss of low
gear. Tractor will not go into gear.

260 hours on tractor. Got it in February, 2017.

They have my tractor now and have had it for six days. It's apart in their shop to fix transmission problem and hydraulic bogging down issue.

They have one mechanic that works on all the tractors they have sold. According to him they have sold well over 100. And he is sometimes overwhelmed.

Anyway. I don't have a problem with my dealer. They have fixed everything so far with no charges. I have a problem with my tractor. I can't get things done when I don't have it. The warranty does me no good when I don't have it.

I bought new so I didn't have to worry about problems for a good long while.

This is a Mahindra problem. Can anyone tell me who to contact in my area? And/or offer up suggestions on what to do about what appears to be a bad tractor.

I appreciate your time.

I also own a 3550 with around 650 hours.

It had a couple initial bugs that were worked out between the dealer and Mahindra. It did take some effort on my part but they did eventually get those bugs solved (overcooling and limp mode issues - should be corrected on all 3550s by now). Since then, I've had no issues with the machine. There was a hydraulic leak or two over the past 3 years that I tightened with a wrench - took a couple minutes to fix total - less total time than loading the machine onto a trailer.

The loss of low gear is interesting - I will say that being an un-synchronized transmission, it is tougher to shift. There is a definite "feel" to it, and even when done correctly it's not a silky-smooth shift. Any chance you were grinding gears when shifting? Since there is no clutch, I have to be careful to shift on ideally relatively flat surfaces and properly use the brakes to hold it and help align the splines while shifting.

The low power (bogging down) when operating might just be due to HST. I don't care the color of the machine, hydrostatic will not transfer as much power to the ground as a gear tractor. It's still worth it for me - but there is clearly a loss of power due to the inefficiency of the transmission. That's been true on every HST tractor I've ever used.

So beyond the gear issue- which it sounds like the dealer is servicing, what issues do you need to contact Mahindra about? If you are looking for a buyback I don't think that the issues you stated are to that point yet.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #20  
I also own a 3550 with around 650 hours.

It had a couple initial bugs that were worked out between the dealer and Mahindra. It did take some effort on my part but they did eventually get those bugs solved (overcooling and limp mode issues - should be corrected on all 3550s by now). Since then, I've had no issues with the machine. There was a hydraulic leak or two over the past 3 years that I tightened with a wrench - took a couple minutes to fix total - less total time than loading the machine onto a trailer.

The loss of low gear is interesting - I will say that being an un-synchronized transmission, it is tougher to shift. There is a definite "feel" to it, and even when done correctly it's not a silky-smooth shift. Any chance you were grinding gears when shifting? Since there is no clutch, I have to be careful to shift on ideally relatively flat surfaces and properly use the brakes to hold it and help align the splines while shifting.

The low power (bogging down) when operating might just be due to HST. I don't care the color of the machine, hydrostatic will not transfer as much power to the ground as a gear tractor. It's still worth it for me - but there is clearly a loss of power due to the inefficiency of the transmission. That's been true on every HST tractor I've ever used.

So beyond the gear issue- which it sounds like the dealer is servicing, what issues do you need to contact Mahindra about? If you are looking for a buyback I don't think that the issues you stated are to that point yet.

:thumbsup: