Abilities of 2538 hst

/ Abilities of 2538 hst #1  

Johngalt

Tractor
None
Looking at purchasing a 2538 hst. Have never owned a tractor so I only know what I've learned from this forum. I have approximately 80 acres, 90 percent of which is wooded. I would like to use the tractor primarily for clearing and cleaning up small trees (many are sweet gums). Is the 2538 strong enough to push over trees that are 5-6 inches in diameter? Would a 3540 hst be a more capable machine for this type of task? I think the maneuverability of the 2538 in the woods and on trails would be nice assuming it is strong enough for clearing. Thank you for your help.

/ Abilities of 2538 hst #2  
I dont know what kind of tree sweet gums are but i have a hst 2555 and it can push over 5-6 inch hard woods with the loader.

/ Abilities of 2538 hst #3  
I have the 1538- similar but not the same. I have more pine, cedar other conifer type trees. I don't think I could push over that sized tree- but at 6" I'm looking at a 40' tree. I wouldn't do that type of work with a loader and no cab rated to protect from falling debris.

Hope that's the type of info you are looking for.....I couldn't even tell you what a sweet gum looks like though!!

/ Abilities of 2538 hst #4  
I wouldn't do that type of work with a loader and no cab rated to protect from falling debris.

Roger that !!

I have a 2538 for about a year now (400 hours) and am amazed sometimes of what it can do. But I almost lost a good friend that was trying to do what you're suggesting in pushing over trees with the FEL. The top part of the tree was rotten and the thing snapped in two, and the top part came crashing down on him. Luckily, he had a canopy that took the brunt of the fall, but he still got banged up.

I think the 2538 has the power, BUT...the FEL can't get high enough on the trunk to create the leverage you need to push it over. I just tried mine on a pine tree (weaker than the sweet gums) and all I did was spin all 4 wheels.

Sweet gums are ugly, nasty trees. Can't get rid of them soon enough, but I would suggest taking a chain saw to cut them down, then pull the stumps with a back-hoe. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but certainly safer than trying to push them over and have one come down on you.

/ Abilities of 2538 hst
Thanks for all of your help. Yes, I agree that a 30-40 foot tall tree would pose a safety problem if trying to push it over. I suppose that if I cut the trees off with a chainsaw at about 5', that I wouldn't have enough leverage with an FEL to push that 5' "stump" over.

/ Abilities of 2538 hst #6  
I have approximately 80 acres, 90 percent of which is wooded. I would like to use the tractor primarily for clearing and cleaning up small trees (many are sweet gums).

Looking at purchasing a 2538 hst. Is the 2538 strong enough to push over trees that are 5-6 inches in diameter? Would a 3540 hst be a more capable machine for this type of task? I think the maneuverability of 2538 in the woods and on trails would be nice assuming it is strong enough for clearing.

MAHINDRA 2538: TractorData.com Mahindra 2538 tractor information

Mahindra 2538 has the same bare tractor weight and horsepower as my Kubota L3560, which I use in woods work on FLAT ground. If your land is flat, Model 2538 is enough tractor to push over 3", not 5", Sweet Gums. If you will be operating on sloped ground, which is most of Hoover, AL, consider increasing weight from 3,300 pounds, bare tractor, of Model 2538 to 4,200 pounds, bare tractor, of Mahindra 4500 series.

A 4" tree is nearly double more resistant to pushover than a 3" tree.
A 5" tree is ~~three times more resistant to pushover than a 3" tree.
A 6" tree is ~~four times more resistant to pushover than a 3" tree.

Trees uproot much easier after several days of steady rain, when tree root zone is nearly saturated with water.

For your primary task of woods management a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment will augment performance of FEL bucket and SAFETY of operation by gripping tree trunks with two rows of teeth. When bare bucket slips, which happens, the potential for a tractor rollover is there.
Ratchet Rake is also optimum attachment for tearing out brush by the roots. U-Tube has many Ratchet Rake videos.
(search: tractor ratchet rake)

Woods work involves moving a lot of 700 pound to 1,200 pound loads, some heavier. You can drag such loads from the rear/center drawbar easily, but if you want to carry such loads cleanly and safely with the loader and Debris Forks, 4,200 pounds in the tractor will give you more stability. (Dirty tree trunks will dull a saw chain in less than one minute.)

The large rear wheels on tractors are a key factor in tractor pulling ability but at the same time make tractors inherently unstable, especially on slopes. Heavier tractors are more stable than light tractors. Enough weight for safety is particularly important until you have accumulated ~~400 hours of tractor operating experience.

Regardless of Mahindra model, if you will work on sloped ground have rear tires filled 3/4 with liquid, to lower tractor's center-of-gravity, and have rear wheels spaced as wide as possible when dealer assembles tractor wheels onto chassis. Four wheel drive is essential on slopes.

The optimum equipment to remove trees 5" and greater by the roots is a TRACKED mini-excavator, which can be rented. Heavy equipment on TRACKS is ten times more stable than heavy equipment on WHEELS. U-tube has many videos of TRACKED mini-excavators tearing out whole trees by the roots.

SAFETY FIRST.

Buy ENOUGH TRACTOR for eighty acres.

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 301
Last edited:
   / Abilities of 2538 hst #7  
MAHINDRA 2538: TractorData.com Mahindra 2538 tractor information

Mahindra 2538 has the same bare tractor weight and horsepower as my Kubota L3560, which I use in woods work. If your land is flat 2538 is enough tractor to push over 3", not 5", Sweet Gums. If you will be operating on sloped ground consider increasing weight from 3,300 pounds, bare tractor, of 2538 to 4,200 pounds, bare tractor, of Mahindra 4500 series.

A 5" tree is ~~three times more resistant to pushover than a 3" tree. A 6" trees is four times more resistant to pushover than a 3" tree.

Trees uproot much easier after several days of steady rain, when tree root zone is nearly saturated with water.

For your primary task of woods management a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment will augment performance of FEL bucket and SAFETY of operation by gripping tree trunks with two rows of teeth. When bare bucket slips, which happens, the potential for a tractor rollover is there.
Ratchet Rake is also optimum attachment for tearing out brush by the roots. U-Tube has many Ratchet Rake videos.

Woods work involves moving a lot of 700 pound to 1,200 pound loads, some heavier. You can drag such loads from the rear/center drawbar easily, but if you want to carry such loads cleanly and safely in the loader 4,200 pounds in the tractor will give you more stability. (Dirty tree trunks will dull a saw chain in less than one minute.)

The large rear wheels on tractors are a key factor in tractor pulling ability but at the same time make tractors inherently unstable, especially on slopes. Heavier tractors are more stable than light tractors. Enough weight for safety is particularly important until you have accumulated ~~400 hours of tractor operating experience.

Regardless of Mahindra model, if you will work on sloped ground have rear tires filled 3/4 with liquid, to lower tractor's center-of-gravity, and have rear wheels spaced as wide as possible when dealer assembles tractor wheels onto chassis. Four wheel drive is essential on slopes.

The optimum equipment to remove trees 5" and greater by the roots is a tracked mini-excavator, which can be rented. Heavy equipment on TRACKS is ten times more stable than heavy equipment on WHEELS. U-tube has many videos of mini-excavators tearing out whole trees by the roots.

SAFETY FIRST.

Buy ENOUGH TRACTOR for eighty acres.

Thx for taking time to post here- good info!

/ Abilities of 2538 hst #8  
"Woods work involves moving a lot of 700 pound to 1,200 pound loads, some heavier. You can drag such loads from the rear/center drawbar easily, but if you want to carry such loads cleanly and safely with the loader and Debris Forks, 4,200 pounds in the tractor will give you more stability."

(Dirty tree trunks will dull a saw chain in less than one minute.)

MORE ON TRANSPORT: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...386705-kubota-l3560-tractor-la805-loader.html

Attachments

• DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:
   / Abilities of 2538 hst #9  

Attachments

• DSC00678.JPG
    DSC00678.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 248
  • DSC00662.JPG
    DSC00662.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 267
  • DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 289
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
   / Abilities of 2538 hst #10  
Your gona need something with more ground weight imo... the 4540 would be ideal and about the same price