Happy new owner...just one question

/ Happy new owner...just one question #1  

Bart Mancuso

Tractor
Mahindra eMax 25 HST + various attachments
Took delivery of a new eMax25 on the weekend. Very happy with it so far, which has mainly been learning to use the loader and backhoe on a few light tasks. Also picked up forks, post-hole digger, stick rack and ripper.

I'm only on 10 acres with 2 that isn't wooded (in Victoria, Australia) so will mainly use it for landscaping, fire clearing and general tasks. Shouldn't push it too hard and didn't need something the size of a ~40hp machine which was the next step up. Great service from Ballarat Mahindra so far - wasn't enough hydraulic fluid so dealer drove 50km the next morning to top it up, and happily answers phone or text messages when I can't remember how to do something. Part of the brand choice was service - a lot of Chinese tractors here only have a parts warranty, and I'm not wanting to have to replace anything myself initially, and JD charge a lot more for service and I have to take it there or pay a premium for onsite. I know they may have some issues, but same with everything.

On the hydraulics...the fluid is topped up to the recommended level, and all works smoothly, but the backhoe drops to the ground overnight, and even after a few hours. No noticeable leak, but should I look harder? Is this normal or should it stay up indefinitely (or for a long period) once it's raised? I'll have to check the bucket too, and leave it up overnight but I think it did the same. The stabilisers drop a little too - not all the ways, just a few inches (I'm guessing as they aren't as heavy, but seems something is amiss).

I'm sure it will be looked at if I ask but since I've heard anecdotally both ways (they should stay up vs they will drop overnight) I'd like some input from the knowledgeable folks here.

A quick day 1 pic in front of it's new home (the camper trailer got exiled to the garage):

tractor 1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Happy new owner...just one question #2  
On the hydraulics...the fluid is topped up to the recommended level, and all works smoothly, but the backhoe drops to the ground overnight, and even after a few hours. No noticeable leak, but should I look harder? Is this normal or should it stay up indefinitely (or for a long period) once it's raised? I'll have to check the bucket too, and leave it up overnight but I think it did the same. The stabilisers drop a little too - not all the ways, just a few inches (I'm guessing as they aren't as heavy, but seems something is amiss).

It's all good Mate. All hydraulic attachments will slowly drop once you've switched off the engine (which powers the hydraulic pumps).

I always drop my FEL and any implement on the 3PH gently to the ground when not in use.

When the tractor's put away in the shed, the FEL gets dropped onto a couple of 4x4 blocks and I relieve the pressure in all four planes + the two planes for the 3rd function. I usually have my ballast box on the 3PH and it gets gently dropped onto a wheeled pallet, then I fully lower the 3PH lever.

/ Happy new owner...just one question
Cheers mate, good to know. Good tip to get a couple of blocks to rest the FEL and backhoe/implements on, will have to do that.

It is slowly, doesn't drop visibly but after a few hours it's down a bit and on the floor overnight so guess it's normal then.

/ Happy new owner...just one question #4  
Cheers mate, good to know. Good tip to get a couple of blocks to rest the FEL and backhoe/implements on, will have to do that.

It is slowly, doesn't drop visibly but after a few hours it's down a bit and on the floor overnight so guess it's normal then.

Yep, it's normal. Technically it's called 'bleed down' and it's due to the (none running) hydraulic pump not maintaining (call it 'topping up') the set pressure/hydraulic force to keep the FEL/3PH at the set/desired height/position.

/ Happy new owner...just one question #5  
I like that loader. 4 in one and self leveling. Nice

/ Happy new owner...just one question #6  
There are 2 slots to prevent the back hoe from dropping over time and one to prevent it from swinging side to side.

They are both on the frame of the back hoe where it swivels from. One goes in from the top and one from the side.
When you operate the hoe the pins go in the 2 holes through the floor where your feet will be when your using the backhoe so you don’t lose them. They are standard 3/4 pins available at most tractor supply stores.

/ Happy new owner...just one question #7  
I like that loader. 4 in one and self leveling. Nice

X2 you don't typically see a self leveling loader until you get closer to the 80-100hp range.

/ Happy new owner...just one question
Love the 4in1. Levelled and graded the driveway yesterday and moved some roadbase around. the self-levelling is very nice.

And nice to see that after the JD rep told me I couldn't use a ripper/box blade on a small tractor that the Mahindra pulled it uphill through tough compacted ground with no issues.

Thanks Big Chief for the reminder on the travel pins - will remember to put them in when I have the backhoe off next (for now I just let the frame rest on the ground).

/ Happy new owner...just one question #9  
You should have a pin for the backhoe to lock the boom in place. I only remove it when I’m about to use backhoe. On the stabilizer legs I use elastic cords to hold them up if not after a few days they drop down. When I shut down Tractor I move levers to release any pressure in lines.

/ Happy new owner...just one question #10  
There are two types of hydraulic valves. Those that leak faster and those that leak slower, BUT they ALL leak. It is just a matter of how fast. As the control valves are just machined metal to metal surfaces, and those surfaces MUST slide past each other during normal operation, some amount of fluid per hour will flow past the mating surfaces. No one has ever figured out how to make a leak-proof valve that will actually move.