Add wings to my 6' blade ...

/ Add wings to my 6' blade ... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
I used to use a JD 420 with a 4.5' blade with 3/4" plywood wings [ snow pusher ] to prep my drive in the early winter and handle nuisance lake effect daily snow... Sold that and bought a 1526. Made 24" square wings out of 3/4" HPDE plastic. Bolted on with 10mm stainless round head bolts using stainless 10mm Nyloc nuts. Have not tried it yet to see how stout of a brace I need across the front, but probably will go with heavy electric fence wire like I used on my old one... Last picture is my old 420

Attachments

• IMG_0037 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0037 (Large).JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0038 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0038 (Large).JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0039 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0039 (Large).JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_0848 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0848 (Large).JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 135
   / Add wings to my 6' blade ... #2  
I used to use a JD 420 with a 4.5' blade with 3/4" plywood wings [ snow pusher ] to prep my drive in the early winter and handle nuisance lake effect daily snow... Sold that and bought a 1526. Made 24" square wings out of 3/4" HPDE plastic. Bolted on with 10mm stainless round head bolts using stainless 10mm Nyloc nuts. Have not tried it yet to see how stout of a brace I need across the front, but probably will go with heavy electric fence wire like I used on my old one... Last picture is my old 420

Wouldn't steel wings be more sturdy,.... thus less susceptible to being crunched?

/ Add wings to my 6' blade ... #3  
How's the trip springs work with the extensions. Or to say a different way does it trip with extensions on?

/ Add wings to my 6' blade ...
The springs still trip if you catch the pipe covered cutting edge, but do not work with the wings. The wings are out in the breeze ahead and the idea is not to try to shove them into something hard. The 3/4" plywood held up great for years, but again... they are there just to help gather the snow and not as a ' cutting edge ' or something. There are probably some operators that would bend 1/2" steel if you let them. If you want to use the blade angled or to shove hard banks back, then you would have to remove the wings. I thought of maybe making them out of 3/8" steel, but since the plywood worked so good in the past, figured I would try some industrial HPDE. It would probably shatter if you were trying to use it as a battering ram when the temps are real cold, but we will see.....

/ Add wings to my 6' blade ... #5  
Doesn't your other tractor have a front mount snowblower? I'd just use that! Nice to have both a blower and blade.

Did the little Deere push a lot of snow? I would think with the wings it would build up until the lawn mower ran out of steam.

/ Add wings to my 6' blade ...
Doesn't your other tractor have a front mount snowblower? I'd just use that! Nice to have both a blower and blade.

Did the little Deere push a lot of snow? I would think with the wings it would build up until the lawn mower ran out of steam.

Once I get a good base of snow covering my drive and grass areas, then I can use the blower without it blowing more dirt/grass/Afton stone than snow. I live in a lake effect area, and get a daily 3" or so sometimes for many days. It is sometime easier to just push the snow the length of my drive with the pusher blade than try to move that light of a snow cover with the blower... I put 4 100# Allis C suitcase weights on the rear of that little 1000 pound 20hp HST 2WD JD 420, and with the chains, would push snow straight ahead until she stalled out. Was not able to push hardly anything with the blade angled. Some days when you feel like being outside and want to play, a tractor with the pusher is a lot of fun. If you want to blow the smitherinies out of any big accumulation... a cab'd 55hp turbo with a 78" front blower is hard to beat.... :)

Last edited: