2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM #1  

Mike944

Tractor
Mahindra eMax
My brothers 3 year old eMax 22 won't idle above 1250-1500 RPM. It is an intermittent problem, the low idle is accompanied with the engine trouble light. When the engine trouble light is on it just wont go over 1250-1500RPM, no sputter, no stalling; the RPM just wont come up. When the light is off it runs fine, unfortunately the light is on more than it is off.
He previously had the issue where it wouldn't start. I found the fuse fix removing and reinserting the ecu fuse somewhere on this site.

Has anyone had this issue where the tractor wont raise above min idle speed? How do you know what causes the engine trouble light?

Thanks for listening!
Mike

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM #2  
Can you hook it up to a code reader and check the code? One of the selling points of the Mahindra (at least in the class I was looking at) was that it used a standard OBD II reader.

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM
Can you hook it up to a code reader and check the code? One of the selling points of the Mahindra (at least in the class I was looking at) was that it used a standard OBD II reader.

No OBD reader on this model. My brother finally got it to a dealer and they stated the "Fuel Actuator" needs to be replaced. At a cost of $1100.00 :(
There is a thread with a part labeled http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/files/parts-repairs/525044d1508269057-question-mahindra-emax25-fuel-shutoff-img_1228-jpg]APECS Actuator here. Is this the fuel actiator? Has anyone had to replace this part before? What were the symptoms associated with the failure. If it is just this part it seems a little pricey for a linear actuator.

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM #5  
My brothers 3 year old eMax 22 won't idle above 1250-1500 RPM. It is an intermittent problem, the low idle is accompanied with the engine trouble light. When the engine trouble light is on it just wont go over 1250-1500RPM, no sputter, no stalling; the RPM just wont come up. When the light is off it runs fine, unfortunately the light is on more than it is off.
He previously had the issue where it wouldn't start. I found the fuse fix removing and reinserting the ecu fuse somewhere on this site.

Has anyone had this issue where the tractor wont raise above min idle speed? How do you know what causes the engine trouble light?

Thanks for listening!
Mike

Did they say what code it was flashing?

FYI There are some circumstances that will make the tractor go into this mode (idle limp mode): such as over heating, if the ECM senses and over heat condition, it will pulse the fuel sol on and off only allowing it to idle.
I had this happen with a customer mowing in the spring and all the leaves and dried material, pluged the screens and was running hot, cleaned the screens and no more problem.

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM #6  
Could also be a intermittent/failed sensor, for something like a 'overheat condition'.
If the tractor looks anything like the one in the link about the 'fuse' location the entire fuse block and all wires/sensors attached to it need to be cleaned to keep dirt/dust from causing false reading. Check for loose/frayed/broken wires, etc.

Did they say what code it was flashing?

FYI There are some circumstances that will make the tractor go into this mode (idle limp mode): such as over heating, if the ECM senses and over heat condition, it will pulse the fuel sol on and off only allowing it to idle.
I had this happen with a customer mowing in the spring and all the leaves and dried material, pluged the screens and was running hot, cleaned the screens and no more problem.

No mention of a code (doesn't have and OBD port) and I'm pretty sure it wasn't heat related. He has already committed to the repair and is at the mercy of the dealer. he asked my opinion of the cost and I told him I put it out to the court of popular opinion :) He's not on the net, doesn't own a cell phone, and pays his bills with a check (prolly smarter than all of us)

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM #8  
Hi Mike, I have a emax 25 with the same actuator on it with only 70 hrs, and it has craped out. The symptoms are when it starts, it wont rev up even after you move the throttle. At times, it will start and run for a few minutes ok, then shut down to an idle, then clear its self and run fine, then maybe crap out down to a idle again. I found if you tap the actuator housing with a wooden handle, it frees up the stuck actuator and the tractor runs ok, or you may have to do this twice after it heats up. I have removed and disassembled and cleaned the sticking actuator, and will let you know how it goes, and yes $1100 is assanine for an $158 actuator.

/ 2014 eMax 22 won't idle above 1250 RPM #9  
If that's just the shut-off solenoid.. they fill w/ oil[bad design] & wont allow the control rack to full open..
giving you either a>> no-start or idle.. But we'll wait for mountainnj's results..
IF it fix's the problem, you got taken for 1100.00 from a crooked dealer..

Apparently it was the "actuator" pictured in the earlier post that was the cause as suspected by mountainnj. The dealer located in Waterboro Maine appears to have done very well by my brother. They are confident that the repair will be covered under warranty, so much so that they installed a new one and delivered the unit back to him with only charging him for delivery. He also called another dealer and asked how much a new actuator would be and they quoted him $1036.00 which was exactly the quote from the first dealer. I guess that is the list cost for the part.... We looked for an off brand part and couldn't find one that numbers matched. It is a Woodward part so I'm sure one must be available somewhere if you look hard enough.
Thanks for the help

Mike