When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #1  

davek78063

Tractor
Mahindra 2538
I have called 3 dealers and gotten 3 different responses. I have about 100 fairly hard hours on my 2538. One dealer says 50 hrs. One said 200 hrs and another said every year. The manual says call the dealer at 50 hours and then change it either yearly or every 500 hrs. Also the dealer is out of the hydraulic fluid but says i can use any high quality Universal Hydraulic fluid. Even if they did have it it would be $200 for the 8.5 gal. Tractor Supply sells Rotella for $50 for 5 gals. Thoughts????

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #2  
What does your manual say ? Usually it is changed at 50 hrs to get out the factory debris that might be in it. My Kioti got changed at 50 hrs. then its every 400 hrs after that. I use shell spirax s4 txm....got 2 5 gal buckets for $90.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #3  
Most modern tractors have you change the filters at 50 hours but not the fluid -- it can go a lot longer, maybe to 400-500 hours before it gets changed.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #4  
FWIW, my dealer told me to change it @ 500 hours. I've got 400 very hard hours on mine, and everything still works great.

As far as high quality hydraulic fluid, I get mine @ TS. Works great, no degradation of power, heat, or other issues. And doesn't bust the budget.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #5  
I'm coming up on my 50 hr service. My plans are to change the filter and drain the hydraulic oil. Then I will screen the oil and stick a magnet in it to see if I get any metal particles out of the oil. If I get any concerns with the oil at all I will put in new oil, otherwise I will put the current oil back in.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #6  
The manual should tell you when to change. I use Tractor Supply Premium fluid, works just fine meets the specs and is much less expensive. My manual said to change at 50 hours. One thing I would not do is re-use the fluid as mentioned above. But that's just me.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD
The manual should tell you when to change. I use Tractor Supply Premium fluid, works just fine meets the specs and is much less expensive. My manual said to change at 50 hours. One thing I would not do is re-use the fluid as mentioned above. But that's just me.

Manual says check with dealer. Also not sure if I trust the manual as there are several errors, the most egregious being that it says to put API GL-4 Grade Gear Oil 80W.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #8  
Normally you can change the filters without losing too much fluid -- that's been the case with the last couple tractors I have owned. Normally lose less than a quart. If you do plan to drain the fluid first, get some 5 gal clean buckets from Lowes/HD/TSC (TSC sells real nice white ones for $2-3), collect the fluid in them, and then screen it through a paint strainer cone before putting back in the tractor. Not hard to do.

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #9  
Most of you are missing the point. If your tractor is new and under warranty follow the service chart. If you have a hyd failure and you did not follow the service chart you run the risk of paying for the repair out of your own pocket.:eek:

/ When to change Hydro Fluid on 2538 HST 4WD #10  
Most of you are missing the point. If your tractor is new and under warranty follow the service chart. If you have a hyd failure and you did not follow the service chart you run the risk of paying for the repair out of your own pocket.:eek:

Some of us don't like to waste money or resources. After 50 hrs the oil isn't going to be worn out so drain it, screen it and check for metal particles. If no indication of contamination shows then put it back in.