Mahindra 1635

/ Mahindra 1635 #1  

LMychajluk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE
Hi, all! (First post, here.)

My family has some property w/ a house in NY that's mostly a weekend home, but may end up being a retirement home someday. It's ~35 acres w/ about 2 acres cleared, with the rest wooded, but w/ powerlines running through the back of the property, all on the side of a mountain. In the past, we've used a Simplicity Baron 23hp riding mower w/ a cart to mow and do chores around the house (tree cleanup, garden work, etc...), along w/ a small Mighty Mac chipper and a walk behind tiller. That was fine when there were 4-5 of us that could get together and take care of the place, but now it's just my brother and I, and we've been thinking of getting a small tractor to help get things done and save on time and wear and tear on ourselves. We would be doing things like tilling a small vegtable garden and a couple of small flower gardens / beds, maintaining fences and drainage ditches, maybe building some retaining walls and landscaping a bit, cleaning up downed trees in the surrounding woods (incl. removing occassional stumps), and lawn care (mowing, fertilizing, etc...). If I ever move there full-time, snow removal would be added to the list. Since there isn't someone living there full-time currently, storage of our equipment in a standard garage is a requirement.

I've been looking at the Mahindra Max26XL and/or 1526/1533 w/ loader and backhoe. (My brother, on the other hand, has been looking at the JD 1025R, though I think a JD 2-series would be more in-line with what we need). Size wise, the Max26 and 1526 seem to be OK to me, but my main concern is the PTO HP. Though I think either would run most implements I'd like to eventually get (tiller, post hole digger, core aerator, etc...), I would like to run a decent PTO chipper/shredder like the Wallenstein BXM32 to clean up some brush piles that have been getting out of hand, which seems to optimumly need a 25-35hp PTO(?). The Max26 won't cut it (no pun intended), and even the 1533 is just barely there, but the 1533 is getting into a bigger frame / weight, which I'm reluctant to do (ideally I'd like to be able to tow it on a 7000# Util trailer w/ a 5500# capacity). Before anyone says 'get a trailer-mounted chipper', I'm thinking the PTO unit is much smaller than a trailer unit of comparable power for storage purposes(?), plus one less engine to maintain (time is an issue).

So, now I've heard about the new 1635 for 2018 - 2017 Mahindra Dealer Meeting: Part 2
The 1635 is an all-new model replacing the 1533, but using the 1626 frame size. Notable improvements include a USB charger port, new seat, tool box, new style grille and headlights, and integration of the loader joystick into the fender cowl. Lower link arms have a telescopic option (standard on the 1640). Frame size on this series is larger than on the eMax and Max tractors. 1600 series tractors utilize Mahindra engines.

(By 'Mahindra' engine, I'm assuming the Mitsubishi engine?)

So, it sounds like just what I need! More power in the smaller frame (though I haven't seen a spec sheet yet). I like the idea of the fender-mounted joystick, and I'm hoping it will have seperate fwd/rev pedals. I know there's not much info on it yet, but I figured I'd start a thread to collect what people may know so far. Looking forward to see what you folks have to say!

/ Mahindra 1635 #2  
No the engine is made in India by Mahindra while the balance of the tractor is made by Mitsubishi except for the tires, wheels, front end loader and back hoes which are US made. Kansas machine works for the loaders and hoes. The tractors are crammed into containers and shipped to one of several regional distributors where assembly is completed.

/ Mahindra 1635
Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I had it backwards. I thought Mahindra made the tractor w/ a Mitsubishi-developed engine. But, the 'Mahindra' engine is the mCRD that they're so proud of, right?
https://mahindrausa.com/mcrd

/ Mahindra 1635
Hmm... Was doing a little more research over the weekend. I think I could probably run the BMX32 with the Max 26XL. Going with the smaller Max would also mean less $$$, smaller (& cheaper) implements that would probably be more manueverable around the house, and I could probably get a smaller trailer that would be more comfortable towing w/ my F150. Any comments on the Max vs the 1500s?

/ Mahindra 1635 #5  
Hmm... Was doing a little more research over the weekend. I think I could probably run the BMX32 with the Max 26XL. Going with the smaller Max would also mean less $$$, smaller (& cheaper) implements that would probably be more manueverable around the house, and I could probably get a smaller trailer that would be more comfortable towing w/ my F150. Any comments on the Max vs the 1500s?
It all depends on what you want to do with the tractor and how much weight you need. Sometimes weight is as if not more important as power. Also find out who makes the max. If it's TYM it's not as nice as the 1500 which is made in Japan by Mitsubishi. Is this from that good dealer you described? As I said, dealer choice is very important.

/ Mahindra 1635
It might be changing for the MAX line in this year's model, but I the current model Max 26XL was built by and used a Mitsubishi engine (I think). This was the same engine as in the 1526.

From the link I posted above:
The premium offerings also come with Kukje power, with the Max 25SL open station and HST only, and the Max 26XLT open station variant with a choice of HST or shuttle transmissions. All Max 26XLT cab tractors will come with HST transmissions. Kukje power replaces engines previously from Daedong and are larger displacement engines running at lowered engine rpms. All engines used by Mahindra are EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4) compliant without the need for diesel particulate filters (DPF).
(This almost sounds like they're talking about the eMax series exclusively, and not the Max?)

The 1526 has a 3rd gear w/ the HST and a slightly larger frame than the MAX (being a 'compact' vs. 'mid-compact'). The 1526 has a slight advantage in FEL lift capacity as well, and I've read that the FEL is overall better than the Max (and some people have swapped the 1526 cylinders onto the MAX), but the MAX has the tighter turning radius.

Weight and power -wise, I think either will handle the light landscaping and brush clearing chores I'd like to do, but as I mentioned, it is a bit hilly around the house, so the larger (wider) 1526 (or 16xx) would probably be a plus.

Once I get to a dealer and compare them side-by-side, it'll probably come down to ergonomics and feel, as well as price.

/ Mahindra 1635 #7  
Hi, all! (First post, here.)

My family has some property w/ a house in NY that's mostly a weekend home, but may end up being a retirement home someday. It's ~35 acres w/ about 2 acres cleared, with the rest wooded, but w/ powerlines running through the back of the property, all on the side of a mountain. In the past, we've used a Simplicity Baron 23hp riding mower w/ a cart to mow and do chores around the house (tree cleanup, garden work, etc...), along w/ a small Mighty Mac chipper and a walk behind tiller. That was fine when there were 4-5 of us that could get together and take care of the place, but now it's just my brother and I, and we've been thinking of getting a small tractor to help get things done and save on time and wear and tear on ourselves. We would be doing things like tilling a small vegtable garden and a couple of small flower gardens / beds, maintaining fences and drainage ditches, maybe building some retaining walls and landscaping a bit, cleaning up downed trees in the surrounding woods (incl. removing occassional stumps), and lawn care (mowing, fertilizing, etc...). If I ever move there full-time, snow removal would be added to the list. Since there isn't someone living there full-time currently, storage of our equipment in a standard garage is a requirement.

I've been looking at the Mahindra Max26XL and/or 1526/1533 w/ loader and backhoe. (My brother, on the other hand, has been looking at the JD 1025R, though I think a JD 2-series would be more in-line with what we need). Size wise, the Max26 and 1526 seem to be OK to me, but my main concern is the PTO HP. Though I think either would run most implements I'd like to eventually get (tiller, post hole digger, core aerator, etc...), I would like to run a decent PTO chipper/shredder like the Wallenstein BXM32 to clean up some brush piles that have been getting out of hand, which seems to optimumly need a 25-35hp PTO(?). The Max26 won't cut it (no pun intended), and even the 1533 is just barely there, but the 1533 is getting into a bigger frame / weight, which I'm reluctant to do (ideally I'd like to be able to tow it on a 7000# Util trailer w/ a 5500# capacity). Before anyone says 'get a trailer-mounted chipper', I'm thinking the PTO unit is much smaller than a trailer unit of comparable power for storage purposes(?), plus one less engine to maintain (time is an issue).

So, now I've heard about the new 1635 for 2018 - 2017 Mahindra Dealer Meeting: Part 2

(By 'Mahindra' engine, I'm assuming the Mitsubishi engine?)

So, it sounds like just what I need! More power in the smaller frame (though I haven't seen a spec sheet yet). I like the idea of the fender-mounted joystick, and I'm hoping it will have seperate fwd/rev pedals. I know there's not much info on it yet, but I figured I'd start a thread to collect what people may know so far. Looking forward to see what you folks have to say!
Any word on approximate cost of this new 1635??

/ Mahindra 1635
Nothing yet. The dealer I was speaking to said he doesn't expect the new 16xx series to be available before the summer. He seemed to think it would be ~$5k more for the 1635 vs. the 1626, but I don't see it. I think he's basing that on the difference between the current 1526 and 1533, which goes up to a larger frame and from a 3 to 4 cyl engine (I also thought I heard that the new engine in the 1635 would be a 3-cylinders). I'm thinking the 1626 will be similar in price to the current 1526 (within $500 MSRP), and the 1635 maybe $1000-1500 more, given that only the engine would be different(?). But that could just be my wishful thinking...

/ Mahindra 1635 #9  
If it was that cheap for the upgrade it would be amazing! I have been hounding my dealer for a 1626... because I am close to buying a Kubota L2501 and really wanted to compare them head to head. The L2501 is available NOW! My dealer told me the 1626's have arrived at the Chattanooga plant and he could expect to see them arrive at his dealership mid month... but he gave no promises....

/ Mahindra 1635
If they're already on shore, I'd hope that Mahindra would at least update the website with the spec sheets and MSRP prices soon.