One more on hydraulic fluid

/ One more on hydraulic fluid #1  

doneill127

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max
Changed the fluid last week and was originally going to go with the Chevron 1000thf but turns out the nearest source is in Gardner, MA about 60 miles away, so ended up going to the dealer. When they told me $110 for 5 gallons I was a little floored because I checked a few places on line and saw the Mahindra UTF going for around $70 which I thought was reasonable. After giving them a little bit of a hard time I forked over the cash. When I got home I decided to check out the other dealers where I saw the $70 oil and to my chagrin, found out Mahindra is selling 2 different UTF both made by Warren. Theres the standard UTF that does sell for about $70 /5 gal. here's the MSDS View attachment UTFmsds.pdf. They also sell an Ultra Low Temp UTF which the label says is suitable for Deere products products. That's what I bought for the $110. Here the MSDS on it View attachment Ultramsds.pdf. Clearly a different product. Was hoping someone from one of the dealers that monitor the forum can shed some light on what the differences in the product are.

/ One more on hydraulic fluid
Thanks but it really wasn’t a question on price. The travelers is also made by Warren and has a similar MSDS as the Mahindra utf. I was wondering what the difference in the Mahindra ultra utf was. The ultra is red in color. Not what I drained from the machine. Two things I’ve noticed after the change is. Much less whine from the hst and the 3 pt hitch is much smoother. Used to be kind of sticky or notchy

/ One more on hydraulic fluid #4  
Thanks but it really wasn’t a question on price. The travelers is also made by Warren and has a similar MSDS as the Mahindra utf. I was wondering what the difference in the Mahindra ultra utf was. The ultra is red in color. Not what I drained from the machine. Two things I’ve noticed after the change is. Much less whine from the hst and the 3 pt hitch is much smoother. Used to be kind of sticky or notchy

Well, the red colour is a bonus. Usually you have to purchase a specific type of hydraulic dye. (I know that JD sells it)

Happy to also hear that your hydraulics have improved with the more expensive grade... hopefully it's money well spent for you. Engine oil and fuel/oil filters, I'll buy local/generic. When I came to changing the hydraulic fluid & filter, I didn't mess around and bought straight from my dealership.

Wanted to go with OEM or recommended oil especially while units still covered by the warranty. The less expensive utf was the recommendation but the local dealer only carrried ultra and neither of us knew there was a difference when I bought it. I thought I was getting hosed. Not a lubrication engineer but after looking into it, the ultra msds lists 3 different weights of oil vs one for the utf and there appears to be more and different additives. What I’m really hoping is that one of the dealers or techs can explain the different products and the application so that I and others can make intelligent choices instead of things happening by chance.

/ One more on hydraulic fluid #6  
The "ultra" is low viscosity. Best to use in your neck of the woods. Don't forget when you change your 4WD axel oil to use it there too if your using your tractor for snow remove. :thumbsup:

/ One more on hydraulic fluid #7  
The "ultra" is low viscosity. Best to use in your neck of the woods. Don't forget when you change your 4WD axel oil to use it there too if your using your tractor for snow remove. :thumbsup:

Why not just use the gear oil in the front axle as recommended?

/ One more on hydraulic fluid #8  

That's what I do. Gear lube for gear boxes and spend the little more for synthetic. For hydraulic oil I use the Traveler premium from TSC. It lists Mahindra right on the label. I never allow myself to be bent over paying for OEM branded stuff like this because they don't make it and it's just a ruse to make money for doing nothing. Not for cars and not for tractors.

/ One more on hydraulic fluid #9  
It's what Mahindra recommends for cold regions of operation. :) 0 degree F can make gear lube pretty thick ! :eek:

My owners manual lists either UTF or gear oil. Mine has UTF in it. I'm not going to get into a debate on the merits of OEM vs non OEM oils or hydraulic fluids. I said above, while it's in warranty I figured I'd stick with an OEM or recommended fluid. Did the same when I changed the coolant. Actually went a step further and found a Mistubishi service manual for the S3L/S4L motor that explains the different chemicals that should be in the coolant(OAT). With that said, there are differences in oils I pointed out above Travelers, Mahindra UTF and the Ultra UTF are all supplied by Warren Distribution. But they are different according to Warrens MSDS.See below Is that worth extra money. Don't have a clue but I'm trying to learn.

Mahindra Ultra
III. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name CAS # Range %
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 60 - 90%
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light naphthenic 64742-53-6 10 - 30%
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated middle 64742-46-7 1 - 5%
Zinc, bis[O,O-bis(2-ethylhexyl) phosphorodithioato-S,S'']-, (T-4)- 4259-15-8 0.5 - 1.5%
Benzene, polypropene derivatives, sulfonated, calcium salts 75975-85-8 0.5 - 1.5%
Phosphorous acid, triphenyl ester 101-02-0 0.1 - 1%
Components not listed are not physical or health hazards as defined in 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication
Standard)

Mahindra UTF
Chemical Name % CAS # GHS Classification
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 90 - 99% 64742-54-7 Acute Tox. 4; H332
Acute Tox. 3; H331
Benzene, polypropene derivatives, sulfonated, calcium
salts
0.5 - 1.5% 75975-85-8 Eye Irrit. 2; H319
Zinc, bis[O,O-bis(2-ethylhexyl) phosphorodithioato-S,S'']-
, (T-4)-
0.5 - 1.5% 4259-15-8 Eye Dam. 1; H318
C14-18 alpha-olefin epoxide, reaction products with boric
acid
0.1 - 1%
Components not listed are not physical or health hazards as defined in 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication Standard).

Travelers
Chemical Name % CAS # OSHA Exposure Limits
Distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 90 - 99% 64742-54-7 No PEL established
Zinc Compounds 3 - 7% RR-00578-7 No PEL established
Butylated phenol 1 - 5% No CAS # No PEL established
Components not listed are not physical or health hazards as defined in 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication
Standard