Oil & Fuel Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak?

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #1  

karltinsly

Tractor
Mahindra 2538 HST
I did the 50 hour service on my 2538 HST today. Changed transmission, engine, and front axle fluid. Changed HST, engine, and primary and secondary fuel filters, as well as the air filters. Put all the drains back in tight, then filled each to proper level according to sight glass or dipstick. It was messy, but I thought it went well. I took a lot of video and hope to put something together soon, since I was unable to find one for the 2538.

Took the tractor out and mowed a small patch for half an hour. When I got off, I saw that fluid was leaking - a lot of fluid! Pretty sure it's hydraulic fluid from the tranny. What's weird is that it's not leaking from anywhere I was working. It's leaking from a hard line that runs along the right side of the tranny. I only had a second to look at it before I had to leave, but it looks like it goes back near the rear axle, then turns upward to a fitting. The fluid is running down from that fitting, or above it, and then along the hard line, dripping all along it. Anyone know what that line is?

Before I drained the tranny, I looked at the sight glass, to see what it looked like with fluid in it, but I couldn't see any fluid. When I filled it up, I filled it until I could see the fluid in the middle of the glass. I wonder if that fitting has always leaked, but maybe it stops once the level goes down enough?

Here's a pic:
IMG_3164.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #2  
I did the 50 hour service on my 2538 HST today. Changed transmission, engine, and front axle fluid. Changed HST, engine, and primary and secondary fuel filters, as well as the air filters. Put all the drains back in tight, then filled each to proper level according to sight glass or dipstick. It was messy, but I thought it went well. I took a lot of video and hope to put something together soon, since I was unable to find one for the 2538.

Took the tractor out and mowed a small patch for half an hour. When I got off, I saw that fluid was leaking - a lot of fluid! Pretty sure it's hydraulic fluid from the tranny. What's weird is that it's not leaking from anywhere I was working. It's leaking from a hard line that runs along the right side of the tranny. I only had a second to look at it before I had to leave, but it looks like it goes back near the rear axle, then turns upward to a fitting. The fluid is running down from that fitting, or above it, and then along the hard line, dripping all along it. Anyone know what that line is?

Before I drained the tranny, I looked at the sight glass, to see what it looked like with fluid in it, but I couldn't see any fluid. When I filled it up, I filled it until I could see the fluid in the middle of the glass. I wonder if that fitting has always leaked, but maybe it stops once the level goes down enough?

Here's a pic:
View attachment 551080

I look forward to the edited video. I took my 2538 to to the dealer for 50 and 100 hr service. I am coming up on 200 and would like to do it on my own. I am more than capable I just wanted to show a maintenance history in case something catastrophic happened. Good luck with the leak.

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak?
My video on doing the service is here:

I'm going back down to the property to troubleshoot the leak tomorrow. Does anyone know if the hydraulic fittings on the 2538 are metric or SAE?

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #5  
I'm going back down to the property to troubleshoot the leak tomorrow. Does anyone know if the hydraulic fittings on the 2538 are metric or SAE?
Have you had any luck finding the leak

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #6  
Karltinsly, Good video detailing what you did, and showing some of the pitfalls one can find when doing some maintenance items, especially for the first time.

To note for future reference: The front axle plug had Teflon tape on it. It should get Teflon tape to keep it from leaking. It looked like a pipe plug, and those threads are coarse and need tape to seal from leaking by the threads in the axle hole, AND on the plug.

Never use T-tape on hydraulic fittings and HST drain plugs; it can get into the transmission and block tiny high pressure orifices resulting in damage to the transmission!

Crescent wrenches are not suited to oil pan or transmission pan bolts due to the chance of stripping off or rounding off the 'points' that a socket wrench socket will grab when trying to loosen the bolt. Often things from the factory are bolted on extremely tight which can lead to damage to the bolt when attempting to do first time removal. One tip is to note in your owner's manual/service manual what works best on each fitting, oil drain plug, size: 14mm, etc. And further guidance notes for future reference, like filling the main fuel filter prior to reinstalling it on the tractor. (The screw in reused fitting goes on the bottom of the filter and then it's wiring connector connects to it).

To prevent the smaller cartridge fuel filter from leaking when you loosen the banjo bolt at the top of the canister housing, see if there is a petcock nearby to stop flow of diesel from leaking, like you had going on. There may or maynot be one on your tractor.

When coating filter gaskets it is recommended to use fresh oil rather than the oil you drained from the sump. Fresh oil = no contaminants or possible particulate matter that could, though unlikely cause leakage around the gasket where it seals to the flange. Also best to drain any oil or trans fluid after the tractor has run long enough to warm the liquid to operating temperature. This is good to get most all contaminants out of the oil pans and up into the filter(s) and flowing better when they drain into your catch pans.

With HST it is best to wipe off any fill hole so NO contaminants are able to get into the fresh fluid when being dispensed into the transmission. Clean any funnel so there is no cross contamination between engine oil and HST fluid for instance.

As to your leak, when pumping in gallons of fluid it is possible you are short on the amount of fluid to bring the HST to the full mark. It could be that you have some air in the HST fluid as a result of it getting trapped when you filled it. The trapped air could be trying to escape and possibly be pushing against the fluid which is trying to get into the transmission sump.

Have you run it for some time until all fluids on the tractor are at operating temp, and then rechecked the sight glass level, and oil dipstick at engine and front axle? Also try operating the loader and it's stick in all directions to draw fluid into the cylinders and hoses and get things to flow- which could help remove air in the system if it is present. Keep checking the sight glass level after having done so- but give it a few minutes to level off after running the loader, etc.

I'm not familiar with your specific tractor, but check to make sure that where you filled the HST with fluid is where it is supposed to be checked.

I heard you mention the final drive, I seem to recall. Does it have a separate reservoir for fluid, like the front axle, or does it use the HST's fluid sump too, and not have a seperate fill port?

The pleated fuel filter does require removal of the paper wrapped around it before use. Think about how the filter works- it allows fuel to pass through the pleating to trap any debris, and therefore has to have maximum square inches of material to trap the contaminants, so leaving the paper wrap on would defeat its purpose.

Metric or SAE zerks are common, BUT many foreign tractor manufacturers use obscure fittings- Kioti being one such company. They use a British/? zerk which is near impossible to find, so I just buy them from my dealer to avoid the hassle and time looking for their wonky zerks.

Hope this helps. Post back findings on what you find out about the fluid leak.

Don't forget to grease all zerks and clean the screen you referred to. Get yourself a brush from TSC or a auto parts store to clean oil and trans plugs. They make a fat rounded brush with stiff bristles; get some Brakleen and use it with goggles to spray off the plug(S) into an oil drain pan, then use compressed air or your shop rags to finish cleaning. Faster better results.:thumbsup:

Coyote, thanks for all the tips. They'll come in handy next time. I will make sure and check the hydro fluid after running next time I'm down there.

I didn't see a valve to stop the fuel flow to the secondary fuel filter. I've learned now that there are a number of tools made to clamp off fuel and other lines when needed. One looks like a pair of vice grips with rounded jaws that won't damage the hose. Harbor Freight has them for $15.

The leak was at the fitting I saw on Friday. It took a 22mm crowfoot, 12 inch extension, and a breaker bar to tighten it another 1/2 turn or so. No more leak! I'll try to remember to get a picture of it next weekend when I'm down there again.

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #8  

Here's a pic:
View attachment 551080

When I did the 50 on mine I had a fuel leak because I didn't get the 2nd fuel filter quite tight enough. I tend to baby things when in doubt be cause a leak is better than breaking stuff. Recheck your filters to be sure they are leak free.

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #9  
hey Karl, did you change out the transmission screen next to the rear wheel? if so did u remove that bar?

/ Did 2538 50 Hour Service - Now There's a Big Leak? #10  
I just changed hydro. Oil at 100 hrs, the internal screen is a pain but I was able to remove 1 end (closest to filter) of that 1/4" brass colored rod with a turn buckle on it, it will just barely fit in
hey Karl, did you change out the transmission screen next to the rear wheel? if so did u remove that bar?