Tires Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !!

/ Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !! #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
A little background....

I have loaded rear tires on my Mahindra 2216. Beet juice to be specific. A while back during the winter I was losing the ability to push snow. Engine maintained RPM's, but no forward motion. I really thought the clutch was slipping. I went to the dealer and after a bit of thought he said add some air to the tires as the tires are likely slipping on the rim due to the slippery nature of the beet juice. Adding air to the tires did indeed 'lock' the tire to the rim. I put paint dots on the tire and rim so if it moved I'd know the tire was slipping.

A couple weeks ago I was using the loader to move some compost material and again had the feeling the tires weren't grabbing the way they should. The paint dot marks had shifted on one of the tires, so figured check the tire pressure and add air if needed. Went to remove the plastic cap on the valve stem and it was snug and wouldn't budge. Went at it with a bit more force, still using my fingers, and the rubber valve body itself let loose spraying beet juice over me and the driveway. Fortunately I was able to jam the piece in my hand back into the remaining part of the valve to stop the flow. I think some of the beet juice being somewhat sugary had dried under the valve cap in essence 'gluing' it in solidly place. I've had caps that were on snuggly before on normal tires and usually the rubber of the valve stem would twist and give a bit, but never outright break off, so I don't know if Mahindra cheaped out on what they purchased for valve stems or the beet juice somehow deteriorated the rubber in it. I fix a lot of my stuff that breaks, but tackling a heavy loaded tire was not something I was up to nor have the equipment to do.
Took the tire to the local tractor dealer to get it fixed. They had to break the beads and they originally thought they could recover the beet juice, but couldn't, so they reloaded with Citristar ballast. The new valve stem is a bolt in metal one. Total for labor and parts.......$155 :D

If the other tire ever seems to need air I'll probably cut the plastic cap off with a razor knife rather than risking twisting off the top of the stem.

/ Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !! #2  
An old drag racer trick was to drill holes in the rim and use short screws to screw the tire to the rim so it couldn't spin. You could do the same but make sure you research it well first.

Every time I hear a story like this I am so glad I don't have fluid of any sort in my tires!

/ Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !! #3  
I suspect whoever filled the tires originally is at fault -- they should have used metal valve stems from the beginning. I've never seen rubber valve stems used on filled rear tires.

/ Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !! #4  
I suspect whoever filled the tires originally is at fault -- they should have used metal valve stems from the beginning. I've never seen rubber valve stems used on filled rear tires.

agreed. an air liquid valve stem is required. it's a metal stem with a locking nut. I know of some people referring to them as calcium stems since that was the standard mixture to fill tires with back in the day.

/ Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !! #5  
My rear tires have Rimguard(1600 pounds of the sticky stuff) and metal valve stems with locking nut. However - I've never had trouble with the rubber/plastic cap sticking to the valve stem. I screw them on pretty tight and they come off the same way.

I would guess that Mark is probably correct. The Rimguard leaked a little and acted like glue when it dried.

/ Attempting to Add Air to Tire Cost Me $155 !! #6  

I was thinking the exact same thing as a read Mark's post.