Broken lower arm link- bad metal?

/ Broken lower arm link- bad metal? #1  

DiskDoctr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510
I was using a landscape rake a few days ago and looked down to see a broken link.

I've included a few pictures. It looks like the link was defective, as it broke at the weld and the metal looks bad.

Anyone else had this or similar problem? I worry that the other parts of the linkage may suffer from the same defect.

This tractor is new (about a month) and about 30hrs on it, mostly with FEL.

-JC

Attachments

• 459126-3ph lower arm.jpg
    459126-3ph lower arm.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 280
   / Broken lower arm link- bad metal?
Here is a closeup of the link.

The dealer has promised to send me a new part, but have to wait a few days for it.

-JC

Attachments

• 459130-Brokenlink3.jpg
    459130-Brokenlink3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 278
   / Broken lower arm link- bad metal? #3  
Looks to be a poor weld, hard to tell in the pic.
Ken

/ Broken lower arm link- bad metal? #4  
I agree, doesn't look like much of a weld.
Brings to mind how often I've wondered how chain links are 'welded' together to make chain. Some type of weld is made. This link doesn't look like anything happened other than a little bit at the very edge of the cross-section.

I wonder if too much tension can be applied by cranking on the turnbuckle (not implying that is what was done, by any means), as that link is in a vulnerable spot for a tension load?

/ Broken lower arm link- bad metal? #5  
From the rust it would appear the link has been separated for some time. Just a smidgen around the edges was holding. Mayhaps put some stress on the rest of the system in controlled conditions to see if more are awaiting.

Egon

/ Broken lower arm link- bad metal? #6  
I does look like a bad weld. If you need it before the dealer gets the new one, replace the link with a screw together chain repair link.

/ Broken lower arm link- bad metal? #7  
From the small cross section here, it looks like a unique problem. I will keep a closer eye on mine now, expecially when I use a box blade and put a lot of side pressure on it. It looks like the same chain as on my 2615.

For a temp fix, if you have a welder. Use a pair of vice grips to close the gap. Grind a gap out at the seem. Weld.