Tires Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new?

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #1  

KENB

Silver Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 4110, Ford 2N
When I was delivered my 4110, the tires were filled with air only. I have heard of some dealers shipping their Mahindra CUTs with the rear tires filled with windsheild washer fluid. How was yours delivered? Also, how many of you have filled the rear tires yourselves? With what and how?

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #2  
My 2810 had the tires filled. I also asked all the dealers if their quotes included filled tires. I think they used calcium in mine, I've read about the corrosion related to it but, the old 60's vintage Massey forklift I used to run had calcium as well & the rims were in good shape when I got a chance to look after I got a flat. Time will tell.

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #3  
I had my tires filled with Rimguard before taking delivery.

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #4  
I filled mine myself with Prestone and water, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it anymore because of the toxicity of antifreeze if you should have a leak and a pet got into it.

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #5  
KenB,

First off: if you have a FEL, you MUST fill your tires. My 3510 has the same frame and loader as the 4110, and it was VERY tippy without loaded tires. I don't have a backhoe on it, but did have a heavy 3ph 66" tiller on back for counterweight.

My 3510 was delivered recently without anything in the rear tires. Of course, I didn't think to ask the dealer to do it.

I filled mine with windshield washer fluid, 27 gal each, got it onsale at local automotive place (.88/gal). This was cheaper than 55 gal barrel- I called 2 different places for quotes.

They were R4's and are a little smaller than the 4110, I think...

EXTREMELY EASY to do. My 3510 R4s had a threaded valve that could be removed instead of the valve gut. This gives a much larger hole for deflating. When deflating, I stood on edge of tire and bounced a few times (did I mention we took the tire off and laid it down flat with the valve up first /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

The bead broke with this minimal effort. I leaned with my knee on the edge of the tire, two of us poured a gallon each at the same time until 27 gals in the tire.

To reinflate, we reinserted the valve and valvegut, used a high volume nozzle, and wrapped a ratcheting tiedown around the tire and tightened it. Also wrapped a small piece of garden hose around rim and used some "tire goop" (looks like grease) that my grandfather had.

Once the tire sealed against the rim, filled until bead seated, then adjusted air pressure to spec.

About 20 mins per tire, max. including dismount and remounting using air tools.

Good luck.

-JC

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new?
I heard that there was some sort of gadget at TSC that let you add fluid to the tires without removing the tire and all.
Anybody know anything about that?

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #7  
I filled mine with windsheild washer fluid using the adapter from TSC and a drill pump. worked great, took about three hours. The adapter screws onto the valve stem after you remove the core and has a fitting to screw the garden hose on. Also incorporates a releif valve to let out the air pressure built up by adding the fluid.

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #8  
KenB and Chet,

I was considering the device you mention, but couldn't find a local supplier for a drill pump-online only.

Really, though, it was soooo easy to do the other way. Maybe on the larger tires that would be really hard to get back up, it would be good to use, but for these, no problem /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-JC

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #9  
KENB, it's called an air/water adapter and this thread has more information. TSC and lots of other places sell them for less than $10.

/ Were the rear tires filled when you bought it new? #10  
I bought one from my tractor dealer, and make sure that you jack the back wheels off the ground first, other wise you won't get a proper fill, and turn the tire so the stem is at the top. I used a 6 foot step ladder, short piece of garden hose, and a funnel. Used duck tape to tape the funnel to the ladder, and put 4 gallons of anti-freeze in each rear tire, then finished off with water until the liguid was at the valve stem. the adapter will allow you to bleed off the air after each gallon of liguid. You will need the upper part of the tire empty for the air, water won't compress like air will. The task took about 3 hours, but it now has great traction and with the FEL the back wheels are more prone to stay on the ground.

My wife was bringing the water in the gallon containers, and I wouldn't suggest inviting your wife to the party, as they just don't enjoy the same things that we do, its a man's thing.

Good Luck, Les