MAHINDRA QUESTIONS

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Its me again, Travis,

I am looking into the Mahindra line of 2 models. The E350-DI and the 3505-DI. I want to know the MAJOR differences between the two. Is it worth the money to pay $1000-$1300 more for power steering?
Also, I am confused about some features on these tractors. What does "CRPTO" (Constant Running Power Take Off) mean. This is on the 3505. How about Independent PTO? Or, Full live hydraulics? Does the E350 take a over running coupler on the PTO shaft like my ole' Ford 8N did?
How many speeds does the PTO system have on these two Mahindra models? I know they have 540rpm, what else?

I baled hay the other day with a Massey Ferguson 231 tractor and an International 840 baler. I loved it!! The tractor was purchased new between 95' and 97' and has 706 hrs. on it. It is a 45 hp and has a 42 PTO hp with two speeds. One is 540 and I don't know what the other is. I fully understand now what a dual stage clutch is. Man I really do like that set -up. The E350 has a single stage clutch and the 3505 has a dual stage, like the Massey.
I know that I shouldn't compare a 45 hp MF with a 35 hp Mahindra because of the class difference. But for me it is about money and I believe you get more for your money with the Mahindra.

The lift capacity for the Massey is 3,120 lbs. The Mahindra 3505 is 3525 lbs. That is a 405 lb. difference with the Mahindra the winner.

The shipping weight for the Massey is 4, 120 lbs. The Mahindra's operating weight is 3,900 lbs. I am assuming that shipping weight and operating are the same. If it is, then that is ONLY a 220 lbs. difference. So actually the Massey isn't coming out the winner in weight difference (heavier the tractor, the more traction you have on the ground).

The Massey comes with a 2 year/1500 hr. warranty. The Mahindra 3505 comes with a 2 year warranty. So, if you put 2000 hrs. on the Mahindra in 1 1/2 years, you are still covered, correct?

Like I said, I don't know if the Mahindra has a 2 speed PTO. I know the Massey does. But I don't think it is worth paying $3000.00 more for 10 more horse power and a name.

I know I have done typed all of this and I won't erase it. But I really want the main differences in the E350 and the 3505. I like the looks of the E350 better, that is why I am leaning more towards it. But looks don't beat performance. Let me know what the differences are.

Thanks,
Travis

OH!! I was quoted $8,500.00 for the E350 Mahindra $9,600.00 for the 3505 Mahindra and $12,500.00 for the 231S Massey Ferguson.

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #2  
Power steering is very nice. The wrists, elbows and shoulders will thank you for it.

Egon

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #3  
The power steering & two stage clutch would sway me to the 3505.

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #4  
If its a consideration for you, power steering makes a HUGE difference in any resale value that the tractor might have.

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #5  
I have 85 hours on my E350 DI. I have used it for grading and heavy bush hogging mainly. Found it to be very dependable and easy to maintain. Fuel economy is phenomenal. It did come with an over running PTO extension but I used to have the same type of transmission driven PTO on an International 240. The reason for the over running shaft is to prevent the momentum from PTO equipment from "pushing" the tractor a few feet after you clutch the tractor. I wanted a simple maintainance free tractor so I purposely purchased one with no P/S (just something else to go wrong). Why do you think so many of the tractors from the 40's , 50's and 60's arestill around.
However, the two stage clutch might be useful when allowing a baler to "catch up" in heavy grass.
I have really been pleased with my E350 DI.

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS
Thanks for the replies. I had a 1949 Ford 8N when I was 18. I am now 20. I know how the tractor will be "pushed" without an over running clutch installed on the PTO shaft. BUT, will the E350 be like the 8N as far as the 3 point hitch won't lift if the clutch is pressed in? Is it set up like the 8N? Does the hydraulic pump run off of the transmission? Will the hydraulics work if the PTO IS NOT engaged? All these dam things confuse me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Will the 3 point hitch come up if the clutch is pressed in? As far as this question goes, is the 3505 DI the same way, OR does the E350 and 3505 have the same type of hydraulic system??

WHAT DOES INDEPENENT, FULL-LIVE HYDRAULICS AND CRPTO (constant running power take off) MEAN?

DOES THE E350 AND 3505 HAVE TWO SPEED PTO, OR JUST A SINGLE 540rpm?

DOES ANYONE ABOUT KNOW THE RE-SALE VALUE OF A E350 AND A 3505?

Thanks in advance,
Travis

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #7  
Both the 350 and 3505 have a single speed 540 rpm (at 2100 engine rpm) PTO. The hydraulics work anytime the engine is running and the pump runs off the engine. Very good lift capacity. Pull up Mahindra's web site or a dealer like Bill's Tractor in San Antonio to get specifications on the tractors you are interested in.

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #8  
The 350 has a transmission driven PTO with a single stage clutch meaning that if the tractor is in gear and the PTO is on, the tractor and the PTO start when the clutch is let out and stop when the clutch is pushed in.
The 3505 has CR(constant running)PTO with a two stage clutch.
The first stage allows the PTO to start and the second stage starts the movement of the tractor. When using a machine like a hay baler, you can pause the tractor without stopping the PTO. This is an advantage over the 350. Every thing else is much the same on the two tractors except for P/S.

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS
WTM,

Thanks for the replies. On both the E350 and 3505, will the 3-point hitch lift WITHOUT the PTO in the ENGAGED position?

Bottom line: Does the PTO shaft have to be spinning(engaged all the time) in order for the hydraulics to work? Like a Ford 8N?

Thanks,
Travis

/ MAHINDRA QUESTIONS #10  
The pump is engine driven and independent of what you do with the PTO. With the PTO on or off, the rear lift arms function. Likewise, with the clutch in or out, the lift arms function.