Parking brake won't stay engaged

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #1  

KENB

Silver Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 4110, Ford 2N
Parking brake won\'t stay engaged

On my 4110, the parking brake won't stay engaged. It was working for a while, but now when I try to set it, it just pops out. Any ideas anyone, other than "call the dealer". Don't want to haul it all the way back to him for the parking brake.

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #2  
Re: Parking brake won\'t stay engaged

I know this might sound a bit "see spot run"-ish, but I had my parking break pop out a couple of times. Then I got in the habit of pushing down REALLY hard before I set it and no more problems. Not saying that's your problem, but it's worth a shot.

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged

Ranchman, the brake on mine also has to be pressed down really really hard in order to engage the parking brake. But now, even pressing down hard doesn't work. I can press it nearly to the floor, and it will engage for a second, and then it will pop out. Could be dangerous, so I am being extra careful with where I park.

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #4  

I am having the same problem with my 2810HST.
But pushing down real hard before I set the parking brake seems to work. So far anyway , but I may start having the same problems you are.

So Keep us posted to what you find for a cure.

2810HST
Dave in NH

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #5  

I haven't had the problem yet, maybe the teeth are wearing on the brake catch lever.

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #6  

No problem with that. Locks every time I set it, even if I just mash it with my hand to crank the tractor from the ground.

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #7  

Now that I think about this for a moment, maybe I should qualify that statement.

I had an issue a while back whereas the brakes would not fully release after a couple hours of bush hogging. Never an issue while doing loader work, maybe the tranny gets hotter with a constant load, or the added strain of the PTO gets everything hot enough to make the shafts a tad too snug. I added heavy pullback springs to each mechanism, took care of the problem. Figured I'd get the dealer to check it when I had it at the shop, but that's the only problem in 165 hrs and as said earlier, not worth the trouble to haul it in. Figured I'd take them back off one day and see if the movement had freed up, but have gotten used to it now and pay the tad of extra resistance no mind.

Maybe mine works so well due to the extra tension.....stranger things have happened.

/ Parking brake won't stay engaged #8  

I have to make sure I use a lot of pressure to set the brake, if I don't, I will be on the backhoe and then.......... everything stops.
With a backhoe you use that brake a lot.

So there is some kind of problem there to have a number of people comment on it.

Dave in NH
2810HST