MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hello again everybody,

I don't want anyone to take this post personally, but only you can make that choice.

I have a question that I need ya'll's opinions on. Before I go any farther, I want to let you know that I could have very well posted this thread in the Massey Ferguson forum. Either way I went, I wanted honest opinions and facts. I would have asked the same thing in the Massey forum.

So, my question is: What tractor would you buy, a Mahindra 4500 2wd or a Massey Ferguson 231S? Neither one equipped with a front end loader. Also, what would you choose out of a Mahindra 3505-DI, or the MF231S? Again, NO front end loaders.

Like I requested, I do want FACTS, as well as opinions.

Since I posted on this forum, has any body in here actually had the choice to buy a Mahindra over a Massey and bought a Mahindra?

In the long run, which brand do you think is built of better quality?

I have never drove a Mahindra, but I have operated a MF231S and love it.

I have a choice between any brand of tractor and come down to Massey Ferguson and Mahindra. I am leaning towards the Mahindra more than the Massey because of people I know who have Mahindras. I know that Massey Ferguson is a great tractor and has been around a lot longer than Mahindra, but I HAVE NOT HEARD ONE BAD THING ABOUT MAHINDRA as far as major manufacturer defects. Maybe Mahindra is the way to go.

Thanks for your replies in advance,
Travis R

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #2  
It depends on what you want the tractor for. Not putting down the 231, but have you looked at the 400 series?

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #3  
To expound a bit further on Jerry's line of thinking........If it was only vs the 231 I'd say go with Mahindra. Newer design,better technology. Now if you throw the 400 series MF into the mix.......hhhmmmmm it becomes harder to decide.

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #4  
WB- I stop and looked at a 231S and it does come from Uzel (Turkey), I think we were talking about that the other day. A 451 was sitting next to it. It looked good.
Chuck M.

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #5  
I couldn't help but chuckle was I read your post. You want FACTS, not opinion...Yet you drove the Ferguson and "loved it". (I thought that was emotional, not factual). Personnally I wouldn't have either of them. Since you can have any tractor you want, I suggest you get the one that you might have an emotional attachment with: ie. the Ferguson. I have a Mahindra 6000 4WD w/FEL and I'm emotional about it. Factually, you won't find a job that I would need to do that it can't do. Factually, I "think" you would be crazy not to consider 4WD AND FEL. My $.25 worth. BobG in VA

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON
Bob in VA,

If you go back and read my post you will see that I did say that I wanted FACTS, just as well as opinions. No, I can't have any tractor that I want. I said that I could have any BRAND that I want. I have come down to Mahindra and Massey Ferguson.

The tractors that I could have are the Mahindra 3505-DI or the MF 231S, or the Mahindra 4500 2wd or the MF 231S.

Now, I imagine that people are saying "why go with the 3505 when you could go with the 4500 and choose between the 4500 and the 231S"? Well, that is why I posted. For facts and opinions on these 3 tractors, and what would you do if you were me?

I will mainly be bush hogging and light grading (box blade) with the tractor at my maw-maw's house to keep her place up. I know that a 35 hp tractor will do the job. But I might want to do a little light commercial work with it later on. Thats why i'm debating on a bigger tractor. I don't want 4-wheel drive or a FEL. I want a basic tough, dependable tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks
Travis

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #7  
All three are tough tractors. You have driven the Massey, now drive the Mahindra. There may be a feature you like or the feel of one might be enough to help you make your decision. The 3505 is 10 less hp than the other two, so unless you just really like the 3505 look hard at the 4500. One thing to consider is the 4500 has a CRPTO where as the Massey has Live PTO. All are 8x2 Gear Trans, the Mahindra has a higher lift cap and weighs more.
Dealer support/proximity should also be taken into account. If you need anything can you get it?
Good Luck

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON
One thing to consider is the 4500 has a CRPTO where as the Massey has Live PTO.

What is the difference?
Which one is better?
Which one is more reliable (Live, CRPTO)?

I thought that "live pto" and "CRPTO" meant the same thing.

I was wondering if you could somehow make the exhaust vertical on the 3505 instead of it going underneath the tractor. I wonder if the exhaust gets damaged a lot because of this design. Has anyone had any problems with it?

Travis R

/ MAHINDRA vs. MASSEY FERGUSON #9  
Uhh, you are correct. CRPTO and Live are the same. For some reason when I read live PTO it registered Independent in my brain.
I will attribute this mix-up to my 3 week old son and lack of sleep on my part.
I dont know why Mahindra uses constant running pto as apposed to live pto when describing pto type, maybe someone could clarify.