Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #1  

AzScott

Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4x4
I am looking for some advise on removing and installing the primary and secondary fuel filters. I read the manual. It looks cut and dry. When I went out to locate them on the tractor, completely different story. The clearance between the primary filter and the starter housing is frustratingly close. How exactly do you get to the bleeding screws when the FEL frame is within a 1/2 inch of the screws? I appreciate any advise you all can give .....Thanks Scott

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #2  
Scott, I had the same frustrations on mine!!! The best I came up with at the time was a 10 mm obstruction wrench that is shaped like a 'S'. and even with that I was only able to turn a short distance each time. I also took the plastic sheild off the starter to provide a little room. I think a crowsfoot on the end of a socket wrench extension might work better. I have since obtained a set of metric crowsfoots but as yet tried them on for size and clearence. If that don't work the next time I may get out the torch and carve a slot in the dang loader frame so I can get in there with a wrench!!!!! Chet

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #3  
I believe at one time I had heard that the fuel system did not have to be bled at the two bleeder screws on the primary and secondary filters. I believe one or more of the upper banjo fittings connecting the upper fuel lines could be used to bleed the system.???

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #4  
Chet - I hope you were joking about taking a cutting torch to the FEL frame

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader
Thanks for the help.... I am going to try and attach a picture of the wrench I welded together so I could get to the Primary fuel filter bolt. For those of you who have a similar models. I recommend you not only remove the plastic cover on the starter, I would also disconnect the positive lead to the starter. I don't work on equipment for a living, but it would seem Mahindra could of designed the location of the fuel filters a little better.

Attachments

• 487380-tractorwrench2.jpg
    487380-tractorwrench2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 261
   / Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #6  
Clyde,
Nope, I am still considering it. There is plenty of steel at that location, a wrench slot would not be a problem. My $.02 worth. I am also sure some will disagree......
Chet

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #7  
Well Scott and Chet ....you certainly weren't kidding about the impossibility of changing the fuel filters on the 4500 with FEL. I guess one has to try it for himself to understand the problem. My tool selection is not a vast one and I finally had to remove the plastic starter shield and then loosen the bracket that held the two filter assemblies to the engine block. Only then could I get access to the bolts holding the fuel filter canisters together. After the new filters were in the bottom portion of the canister, I filled them up with diesel fuel, tightened them up, and didn't have to bleed the system. It started immediately and smoothly. Thanks for the warning guys because I knew from your posts that this was not going to be a pretty project.

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 with Front end loader #8  
Now why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!!! That may be easier than working around the end of the starter.......Thanks, Chet