Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #1  

Daxamundo

Tractor
Mahindra 3505
I have heard of people using the bucket of the front-end loader to drive in t-posts. I am going to start fencing my property and just wondered if anyone has any advice about doing this? I have a t-post driver, but the soil I live on is high in clay content. If it is moist, it is not bad to drive in a t-post. If it is dry, it feels like going into rock.

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it is moist, it is not bad to drive in a t-post. If it is dry, it feels like going into rock )</font>

And if it's hard and dry, you'll really need a BIG tractor and very heavy FEL bucket to push them in the ground. I've seen it done easily by a septic tank installer with a good sized backhoe and damp ground, but no way I could do it with a B series tractor when it was dry. It would just lift the front wheels of the tractor.

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts
So, you really don't pound the posts in, you just push them in with the bucket?
I've never seen it done.

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #4  
yep, like Bird said... I've seen it done but only with really big tractors.

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( you really don't pound the posts in, you just push them in with the bucket? )</font>

Just simply pushing them in is the only way I've seen it done. I tried it with my tractors, but the FEL bucket can't be made to fall fast enough to really "pound" them in.

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #6  
I've pounded t-posts with the FEL....fill the bucket about half full with dirt, jab the post in the ground, put the flattest part of the bucket bottom as parallel with the world as you can get it....push down until the tractor starts to raise...and then....raise the bucket about 6-8 inches above the post and then drop and whack the post....

Works well most of the time, but, be sure and get extra posts....sometimes when the post hits a rock, it will angle off of plumb....or worse....make a 6 foot horseshoe /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

YMMV

GareyD

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #7  
Dax, Can I come watch? This sounds like some real fun!

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #8  
We done it in theb Army setting out wire. Can make fast work of it.

jeremy

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #9  
I push T posts in with my fel. I use the bucket sometimes but prefer my quicktach hayspear which has a large sq. tube frame crossbar. I don't have rocks to contend with but clay soil is pretty hard. I have no trouble driving the post. If some posts are not vertical when I'm through, I walk the line and manually straighten them manually. I use my 1975 Allis 175 which is a 63 hp tractor.

TK

/ Using FEL bucket to drive t-posts #10  
Depending which tractor/FEL you have it is simple. On the FEL frame there is a pipe welded on that points down. It is were the 'leg' attaches when it is removed. The pipe is much close to the tractor for beter leverage. Have assistant place base of tpole in correct spot on ground, line it with the pipe and push it in. I have done it with my 2615 in moist clay, my dealer showed me it. He did it with his 2810.